Work from home jobs are out there, but you may find many of them involve using a phone. This may not work for you because of the “no background noise” rule online jobs you can do from home tend to come with.
Guaranteeing no background noise when you have kids or pets at home may be impossible. But, you have lots of options for working from home anyway!
Below is a list of almost every non-phone work from home job I've reviewed here, with two links for each listing. One link will take you to the review of that company, and the other will take you to the page you need to sign up.
I've kept each summary brief for you. Each listing explains who can apply, pay information, and other relevant info if I could find it.
Want more work from home information? Subscribe to our twice-weekly newsletter. As thanks, you'll get a list right now of 15 companies currently hiring for online jobs.
Work From Home Jobs – Non-Phone
Work from home transferring data from one source to another. Most of the companies listed below are entry-level. But, with few exceptions the pay may not be enough for a stable income.
Before you apply to any of the listings below, you might want to read the post I wrote about data entry jobs from home. It explains what your expectations should be with data entry.
If you are a fast and accurate typist who doesn't mind repetition, you might excel at data entry.
- Amazon MTurk – Read Amazon Mechanical Turk Review – This is more short task work than an actual work from home job, and may be good for only extra money. Once you are signed in, you can search for “data entry” to see the data entry short tasks that might be posted.
- Cass Information Systems – Data verification and data entry work. This position is location-based. If the position is open, you’ll see it under “Data Verification Clerk.” Training onsite is required before you can do the job from home.
- Clickworker – Read Clickworker Review – Very similar to MTurk (above). Has data entry short tasks available on occasion.
- Dion Data – Read Dion Data Review – US only. Pay is per piece.
- The Smart Crowd – Read The Smart Crowd Review – Open worldwide. Pay is per piece. Payments are made via Dwolla.
- Xerox – Read Xerox Review – It's not uncommon to find data entry work from home jobs posted on Xerox. Type in “work from home data entry” on their careers page to see these listings. As with so many other data entry jobs, it may be location-based work.
- Ibotta – Sometimes Ibotta has a data entry position open, but it is only open to people living in Colorado.
- TTEC – Read TTEC Review – This company was formerly known as TeleTech. They occasionally have data entry jobs that are work at home. Part-time, pays $10 hourly.
I also recommend FlexJobs for finding more home data entry jobs. They guarantee 100 percent scam-free job leads. It's the only membership-based jobs site I use and trust.
Want up to 30 percent off your membership? Use promo code AFFILPROMO at check-out.
Transcription Work From Home Jobs
With transcription work from home jobs, you listen to audio and type what you hear.
Good transcribers don't mind repetition, excel with spelling and grammar, and are detail-oriented.
If you're looking for entry-level transcription, you'll need to stick with general transcription. Most of the listings below are general transcription.
- 3PlayMedia – Read 3Play Media Review – US only. Project-based work equivalent to $10 to $30 hourly. Get paid monthly with direct deposit or mailed check.
- AccuTran Global – Read AccuTran Review – US and Canada only. Prefers experience. Pay is per word ranging from $0.005/word to $0.0066. Get paid once a month via check or wire transfer.
- Babbletype – Read Babbletype Review – Open worldwide, experience not needed but must pass test. Pays per audio minute, between .40 cents and $1.00 depending on difficulty. Get paid weekly with Paypal.
- Daily Transcription – Read Daily Transcription Review – Another company willing to accept novice transcribers. You work for them on an “as needed” basis.
- eScribers – This company specializes in legal transcription. They are open to people in the US with the exception of Massachusetts.
- Focus Forward – Read Focus Forward Review – US only, experience needed. Pay is $10 per 15 minutes of sound transcribed, or higher if you are transcribing foreign languages. Get paid bi-monthly with check or direct deposit.
- GMR Transcription – US only, no experience needed. Pay rate is not disclosed.
- Net Transcripts – Read Net Transcripts Review – US only, experience preferred. Pay info not listed.
- Quicktate – Read Quicktate Review – US and possibly other countries. Pays between 0.0025 per word and 0.0050 per word. Get paid weekly with Paypal.
- Scribie – Read Scribie Review – Open worldwide, no experience needed. Pay is $5 to $15 per audio hour. You can withdraw your earnings to Paypal at any time once your work has been reviewed.
- SpeakWrite – Read SpeakWrite Review – Open to US and Canada. Experience required. Pay is 1/2 cent per word transcribed. Get paid twice monthly via check or direct deposit.
- Tigerfish – Read Tigerfish Review – Open to US. Experience may not be needed. Pay is per line transcribed. There are very few other details provided.
- Transcribe.com – Read Transcribe.com Review – US only. Experience may not be needed. Pay varies. Get paid daily via Paypal.
- TranscribeMe – Read TranscribeMe Review – Open worldwide. No experience needed. Pays $20 per audio hour although this may vary depending on the project. Get paid weekly with Paypal.
- Transcription For Everyone – Often hiring transcriptions, no experience necessary. US. Can level up to editor after transcription experience.
- Ubiqus – Read Ubiqus Review – May be open worldwide. Experience preferred, but not required. Pay rate not listed. Get paid every two weeks.
- Verbal Ink – Read Verbal Ink Review – Pay is per audio hour, experience is preferred.
- Way With Words – Read Way With Words Review – Open worldwide, rate of pay not provided.
- More transcription companies listed here.
Afraid you'll dive into transcription, not knowing what you're doing? I recommend the Jump-Start Your General Transcription Career eBook. It's available on Amazon. This e-book provides a basic walkthrough of what general transcription involves. It's very helpful!
If you prefer courses to e-books, Janet Shaughnessy of Transcribe Anywhere has a good one. The intro course is 7 lessons and completely free. It helps you understand if transcription is right for you, earning potential, and how to start.
Is medical transcription what you're interested in? If so, I recommend CareerStep for training.
Freelance Writing Jobs From Home
Freelance writing is a very flexible non-phone option. It's also easy to start with no experience, and it has potential to pay well.
Most of what I've listed below are lower-paying content sites. But if you take the time to start your own business and find private clients, you could make much more.
If you need immediate income, the content sites below will provide it. They are also useful for gaining writing experience.
- Verblio – Read Verblio Review – US only. Pay ranges from $8 to $72 per post. Get paid weekly with Paypal.
- Boost Media – Read Boost Media Review – Open worldwide. Rate of pay varies. Pays via Paypal.
- Buy Keyword Articles – Read Buy Keyword Articles Review – US only. Rate of pay varies, but they state most of their writers earn between $10 and $18 hourly. Pay is every two weeks via Paypal.
- Crowd Content – Read Crowd Content Review – Open to US, UK, Canada, and Australia. Pay ranges from 1.2 cents to 7.6 cents per word. Pay is every second Friday via Paypal provided you've reached the $10 cash out threshold.
- The HOTH – Read The HOTH Review – Anywhere in the US. No previous professional writing experience or education necessary, but you must be a native English speaker. Pay varies depending on skill level, but according to Glassdoor, most make around $15 – $17/ hour.
- Online Writing Jobs – Read Online Writing Jobs Review – US only. Pays around $15 per article. Payments made weekly via check or Paypal.
- Scripted – Read Scripted Review – May be open worldwide. Pay varies depending on the assignment, but could range between $10 to $25 or more. Get paid weekly via Paypal.
- Textbroker – Read Textbroker Review – Open to US and some other countries. Pay depends on your star rating when you apply. Pay ranges between a seventh of a cent per word and five cents per word at the highest level. Pay is weekly via Paypal provided you have at least $10 in your account.
- Words of Worth – Read Words of Worth Review – Open to US, Canada, and possibly other countries. Pay rates are not listed on the website, but it will vary depending on the assignment. Get paid once a month via bank transfer.
- Writer Access – Read Writer Access Review – US only. Pay rates range between 1.4 cents to 7 cents a word. Get paid weekly if you opt for direct deposit payments, or bi-monthly if you opt for Paypal payments.
- More writing sites listed here.
Editing & Proofreading Jobs You Can Do From Home
Editing and proofreading are flexible, non-phone jobs that are often home-based.
Editors work on the structure of documents. Proofreaders spot and correct errors in text.
Keep in mind most editing and proofreading companies prefer candidates with college degrees. Additionally, many companies won't hire you unless you have past experience.
- Cactus – Read Cactus Review – They offer highly specialized freelance editing work regularly.
- Enago – They are usually hiring remote editors. However, this is not entry-level. You will need experience and college education to qualify.
- Gramlee – Has occasional openings for remote proofreaders/editors.
- Kibin – They do not always have openings for work at home proofreaders, but you can fill out their form to get notified when they do.
- Scribendi – Read Scribendi Review – Open to US and other countries. Rate of pay not listed, but will depend on word count and turnaround time. Pay is via Paypal.
- Scribbr – Read Scribbr Review – Worldwide. Must be a native English speaker with a Bachelor's degree or higher. Experience editing academic texts is also required (it sounds like editing your own assignments in college would probably suffice). Pay is a flat per word rate, but rates vary based on assignment. According to their website, many earn $23 – $25 per hour.
- Go here for 25 companies that have legit work from home jobs for editors and proofreaders on a regular basis.
Another idea is to work for yourself as a proofreader. You could earn more money by setting your own rates and seeking out those high-paying clients.
If a home-based proofreading business is of interest to you, this free webinar might help. It explains who's cut out for it, what you could earn, and more helpful details.
Running Errands – Making Deliveries
Running errands and making deliveries are great for quick cash outside the home. It's also very flexible work! Do as much as you can when you can.
Most of these companies advertise earnings upwards of $18 hourly, but you may earn less. Those inflated totals fail to factor in gas, car wear and tear, or work availability.
If these opportunities are of interest, I'd recommend doing more than one to make it worth your while.
- Lyft – Read Lyft Review – Give people rides via the Lyft ride-sharing app. This one is growing in popularity! Get paid daily or weekly.
- Shipt – Read Shipt Review – Be a shopper for Shipt, delivering groceries on-demand for people who request the service. Shipt claims it's possible to earn $22/hourly, but around $10 is more likely according to reports from many Shipt shoppers.
- Instacart – Read Instacart Review – Get paid weekly to shop for, and deliver, groceries to people who need them. They have two positions — one that requires a car and one that does not.
- DoorDash – Read DoorDash Review – Get paid to pick up food orders from various restaurants that use the DoorDash service and deliver it to the people who ordered.
- Postmates – Read Postmates Review – Become a “Fleet delivery driver” for Postmates and get paid for deliveries of all kinds of items. You take home 100 percent of what you earn and payments are made weekly or cash out when you want instantly.
See more ways to earn money doing errands and/or making deliveries here.
Online ESL Tutoring
ESL tutoring is technically non-phone, but there is still human interaction. A webcam is almost always required so you can teach English to non-English speakers.
This line of work may be ideal for you if you have past experience teaching/tutoring and a BA degree or some college.
ESL companies pay well — sometimes more than $20 an hour. Most companies are also very flexible with scheduling.
- EF Education First – Read EF Education First Review – US and UK. Must be a native English speaker with a bachelor’s degree in any field. TEFL certification is required, and can submitted when applying or at the start of your contract period. You'll also need a quiet workspace with a wired internet connection and headset. Pay is $12 – $19 / hour.
- VIPKid – Read VIPKid Review – Earn between $14 and $18 hourly tutoring Chinese children in English.
- Cambly – Read Cambly Review – Webcam tutoring. You can teach English online without a degree, and you can work anytime! Currently they need English & Spanish language tutors. This is informal tutoring — you're mostly doing social chatting. Also, check out my Cambly review if you need more info.
- QKids – Read QKids Review – Open to US, Canada, and the UK. You are eligible to apply as long as you either have a degree or are actively enrolled in a university. Earn up to $20 hourly.
- SayABC – Read SayABC Review – Open to US, Canada, and Australia. Must be a native English speaker with a bachelor's degree or above. Earn up to $21 hourly.
- Magic Ears – Read Magic Ears Review – US & Canada. Provide online English tutoring to 4-12 year old children in China as an independent contractor. Work at home or from anywhere with a speedy internet connection and earn $18-26 an hour. Bachelor’s degree or current college enrollment is required.
- NiceTalk – Read NiceTalk Review – Worldwide. Applicants with TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certificate or IELTS/TOEFL teaching experience will be preferred, but it is not required. You'll need a smartphone and speedy internet, as well as a quiet environment for your tutoring sessions. Pay is $10 / hour.
See more ESL tutoring sites with open jobs here.
Virtual Assisting Jobs From Home
To avoid confusion, I want to make it clear first that virtual assistant work is not always non-phone, but it can be.
Virtual assistants do a little of everything depending on their skills/expertise. And there are many non-phone skills like writing, graphic design, editing, etc. to put to use.
- Contemporary VA – Read Contemporary VA Review – May be open worldwide. Pay is $10 hourly. Get paid every other week via mailed check.
- Belay Solutions – Read Belay Solutions Review – US only. Pay rate is not advertised.
- Fancy Hands – Read Fancy Hands Review – US only. Pay is per task and I've seen where some people claim they make anywhere from $2 to $10 an hour just depending on what tasks they choose. Pay is every other week on Tuesdays via Dwolla.
- Time, Etc. – Read Time, Etc. Review – US and UK only. Earn between $11 and $16 hourly. Get paid monthly with Paypal.
- Worldwide 101 – Read Worldwide 101 Review – US and UK. Pays between $15 and $20 hourly. Get paid once a month by (I think) direct deposit.
- Startups.co – Formerly known as “Zirtual”. They have virtual assistant openings for different timezones, US only. Pays $13 to $18 hourly. A minimum of an Associates degree is required.
- You can see more companies hiring remote virtual assistants here.
Want to figure out what skills you could offer as a virtual assistant? This downloadable list has over 150 ideas. It's completely free.
I also recommend the e-book 21 Days to a VA Biz. This is by our own Leisa Good, who writes many articles for Real Ways to Earn. She's got many years as a VA under her belt.
If you are good with numbers, you could work at home as a virtual bookkeeper or accountant.
While this line of work is non-phone, you may occasionally have to converse with clients via phone. This will depend on the specific client and their communication preferences.
The following companies sometimes have remote bookkeeping jobs open:
- Accounting Department – US. They hire virtual accounting specialists to work remotely. They do require 3+ years of bookkeeping experience.
- Bateman & Co. – US, Texas residents preferred. They hire remote staff accountants. You must have a CPA to be considered plus three years of public accounting experience.
- Belay Solutions – Read Belay Review – US only. While this company is best-known for hiring remote virtual assistants, they do sometimes have remote bookkeeping jobs open as well.
- See more work at home accounting and bookkeeping companies here.
Another option is to work for yourself as a bookkeeper. Earning $80+ hourly with your own virtual bookkeeping business is possible.
Search Engine Evaluation
Most companies that hire for search engine evaluation have many projects available. This means the exact work you do might vary.
Yet, search engine evaluation in the traditional sense involves analyzing search engine queries. Then, you determine the best results to match up to that query for ideal user experience.
You may be good at search evaluation if you're computer savvy, a good researcher, and up on all the latest trends.
Past experience isn't a rule with these jobs, but a lengthy test of your skills is typically given.
- Appen – Read Appen Review – Open worldwide. Pay will vary depending on the job you're doing for Appen. Search engine evaluators may make around $13 – $15 hourly. They pay monthly via check or direct deposit.
- iSoftStone – Read iSoftStone Review – May be open worldwide. Pay may be around $12 hourly. Get paid once a month with Paypal or direct deposit.
- Lionbridge – Read Lionbridge Review – Open worldwide. Pay is around $13 hourly or more. Get paid once a month with direct deposit.
- KarmaHub – Read KarmaHub Review – US only. Pay is around $11 hourly. Flexible schedule.
- You can go here for more listings and search engine evaluation resources.
One thing to keep in mind with these jobs is that the companies above will have strict NDA's to sign. They don't want you sharing information about what you're doing or how much you earn.
Are you already working for one search evaluation company? Then there's a good chance you won't get hired by another similar company. They don't want you to work for their competitors.
Short tasks are often just extra money and rewards, but it's something a lot of people do to fill in the gaps between other types of legit work from home jobs. The tasks available will vary from site to site. This is in many ways comparable to data entry because a lot of the tasks will involve typing.
- Swagbucks – Read Swagbucks Review – Open to US, UK, and Canada. While this is just extra money or regular Amazon gift codes, there are tons of tasks you can do to earn daily — everything from paid surveys to watching videos. I've been a member since 2007 and can vouch for the company. They have paid me many times. It's definitely a fun site to use.
- Amazon mTurk – Read Amazon mTurk Review – Open worldwide, but you can't get paid in cash unless you're in the US — you have to opt for money in your Amazon account. Pay varies depending on the tasks you choose. Payments are made via bank transfer or you can get money to spend on Amazon instead.
- Appen – Read Appen Review – Open worldwide. I have this site listed above under “search engine evaluation,” but I'm listing them here, too, because they also hire people as “crowd workers” to do short tasks.
- ClickWorker – Read Clickworker Review – Open worldwide. Pay may amount to around $9 hourly. Pay is once a month via Paypal, or you can get paid with bank transfer if you are outside the US.
Check out more short task sites here.
Chat-Based Work From Home Jobs
You've probably noticed that most companies nowadays offer ways to for their customers to contact them instantly via live chat support. Many of these chat support agents do work from home. Below is a list of the companies I've reviewed on this site that have occasion openings for work at home chat agents.
You might make a great chat agent if you're a multi-tasking pro, very computer literate, have great customer service skills and/or past customer service experience, and you can type quickly.
- Apple – Read Apple At-Home Advisor Review – Open to US. Pay rate not listed, but it's rumored to be in the teens.
- Ginger.io – Read Ginger.io Review – Open to US. Contract jobs that will require a degree in a related field. You work at home providing mental health services to people who need it via chat.
- The Chat Shop – Read The Chat Shop Review – Hires people worldwide to handle chats from home for various businesses. May pay between $9 and $10 hourly.
Online Academic Tutoring
Another popular (mostly) non-phone job is online academic tutoring. This is often done via chat over the computer rather than by phone, but different companies will handle the communication in different ways, so you may want to double-check how you're communicating with the students prior to applying.
You might make a great tutor if you're patient, good at explaining academic concepts, friendly, and you have past experience tutoring/teaching. Also, many of the companies below will require either a college degree or that you be currently enrolled in college.
- Brainfuse – Read Brainfuse Review – Open to US, not sure about other countries. Pay is around $10 per tutoring session. Get paid every month via direct deposit.
- PrepNow – Read PrepNow Review – Open to US. Pays $15 or more per hour.
- Yup – If you are a math, chemistry, or physics expert, you can get paid to tutor on your own schedule and earn money with Yup. Work from anywhere.
- Tutor.com – Read Tutor.com Review – Open to US and Canada. Pay is between $9 and $13 hourly during tutoring sessions.
- Aim-4-A Tutoring – US only. Must have a bachelor's degree.
There are more companies that hire online tutors listed here.
Academic Test Scoring
Another flexible non-phone option for work from home jobs in the educational field is test scoring. There are a few reputable companies that do hire home-based workers to score everything from standardized tests to essays. Before you apply, you should know that ETS and Pearson (listed below) do require that you have certain qualifications and/or past teaching experience before they'll let you become a scorer. WriteScore on the other hand requires just a two-year college degree.
- ETS – Read ETS Review – Open to US and occasionally other countries. Pay may be between $10 and $20 hourly depending on the project. Payments are made twice monthly.
- Measurement, Inc. – Read Measurement, Inc. Review – Open to US. Pay may be around $11 hourly.
- Pearson – Read Pearson Review – Open to US and people authorized to work in the US. Pay is $10 and more per hour. Get paid via direct deposit.
- WriteScore – Read WriteScore Review – Open to US only. It's possible to earn between $8 and $15 hourly depending on your speed.
There are a few more companies that hire remote test scorers here.
Social Media Moderators & Managers
Social media managers and moderators are in charge of managing forums and social media platforms for businesses and/or people who need the help. You'll be expected to do things like respond to comments, delete inappropriate comments, lock threads on forums when appropriate, etc.
You might be great at this if you know your way around social media networks and forums, have ever been in an admin position for either your own business pages/accounts or moderated for a forum, and you know how to be helpful and polite, but also firm when a situation calls for it.
- Crisp Thinking – Read Crisp Thinking Review – Open to US and some other countries. May pay between $10 and $15 hourly for social media moderation work.
- The Social Element – Read The Social Element Review – Open to US and worldwide. Pay rates are not listed, but are said to be competitive. Rumored to be around $15 an hour.
- ICUC – Read ICUC Review – Open worldwide. Pay starts out at $10 hourly, but opportunities for advancement and higher pay are available. This company prefers candidates that speak more than one language.
- LiveWorld – Read LiveWorld Review – Open worldwide. Most people start out making between $8 and $10 hourly. The exact amount is dependent on your location. Get paid every two weeks with either a mailed check or direct deposit. Note the job is not always posted on their website.
- Metaverse Mod Squad – Read Metaverse Review – May possibly be open worldwide. Pay may start at around $8 hourly for moderators. Get paid monthly on the 15th.
- Lithium – Read Lithium Review – Has occasional openings for remote social media moderators. According to Glassdoor, this job pays around $12 hourly when it is open.
As a translator, you would be converting one language into another language via either spoken word, written word, or audio. This is a work from home job many people are able to do from that can additionally be very, very flexible and of course non-phone.
Translation work may be an option for you if you bilingual or multi-lingual with great grammar and spelling skills.
- Gengo – Read Gengo Review – Open worldwide. Pay is between 3 and 8 cents per world translated. They pay twice monthly with Paypal.
- TextMaster – Open worldwide. Earn between $1.30 to $9.75 per 100 words translated. Pay is via Paypal.
- Verbal Ink – US only and competitive pay. Not much other info available.
- Verilogue – May pay around $5.10 per audio minute. Get paid twice monthly with check or direct deposit.
You can work from home giving your expert advice on various topics to people who need it. If you can prove your expertise in a certain field, then you may qualify to do this work, although for some it's just extra money here and there. This is often non-phone because you may be able to give your advice via email or chat.
- Ask Wonder – Read Wonder Review – Open worldwide. Get paid to create write-ups using your expertise and research skills.
- Maven – Open worldwide. You get to choose your rate. You must have at least $25 in your account to get paid, and you can choose from mailed check, bank transfer, or Paypal.
- Just Answer – Pay rate varies depending on how much a person is willing to pay for an answer. You can cash out your earnings to Paypal once you have $20 in your account.
Many more question/answer paid expert sites here.
Misc. Work From Home Non-Phone Jobs
These are non-phone jobs that I don't really have a category for.
- Humanatic – Read Humanatic Review – This is a company that has you analyzing recorded phone conversations. Pays very little — so little in fact that most people just do this as a side egg. You can get paid once a week via Paypal.
- Kirkus – Often looking for book reviewers. Worldwide. Seeking reviewers for both English and Spanish titles. Reviews are about 350 words, due two weeks after the book is assigned. Pay is $50 per review.
- Shutterstock – Read Shutterstock Review – May be open worldwide. This popular stock photo company has occasional openings for remote image reviewers, where you determine which submitted photos should make it onto the Shutterstock website. Pay and other details are under wraps — workers are required to sign an NDA, so it's hard to find many details online.
- Stitch Fix – Read Stitch Fix Review – Open to US only, specific states. You can work for Stitch Fix as a work at home stylist, putting together clothing subscription boxes for their clients. Should be non-phone, paying around $15 hourly.
Just Looking For Extra Cash?
Extra Cash & Rewards (my sister's site) has a great list of sites that pay you fast. They're only good for extra money, but they are reputable companies.
Don't forget to sign up to get a FREE extra cash newsletter as well.
Are You Looking For Even More Legit Work From Home Jobs?
My e-book, How To Find REAL Work From Home Jobs, contains 150 legit companies, specific instructions on finding work at home jobs yourself, and also many, many resources you can trust for searching/following. You can get all the great info inside for a small price of just $5!
Post originally published October 20, 2012. Updated and republished June 10, 2019.