It used to be the case that those in the various medical professions were limited to strictly on-site job options, but that's rapidly changing. As high speed internet connections become more prevalent, video conferencing, which used to require bleeding edge web-building chops, is now a relatively commonplace — making it so that work at home medical jobs exist!
Especially following Covid, there's been a rise in the popularity of telehealth, which has greatly expanded the work options for those with medical expertise.
We do list medical jobs as we find them in our weekly work at home newsletter, so be sure to sign up for that if you aren't already (it's free).
What Kind of Medical Work at Home Jobs Can You Do?
Is It Hard to Get Hired For Work at Home Medical Jobs?
Obviously, the medical industry is complex, and you'll find that most of the jobs out there have fairly stringent education and experience requirements.
But if you already have a background in something like nursing and you want to work remotely, there are a good number of interesting opportunities to pick from, especially compared to what you would've found a few years back.
Big List of 23 Work at Home Medical Jobs To Apply For
If you are wondering what healthcare jobs can be done remotely, you'll find a lot of options on this list!
Below, we've listed out 23 work at home medical jobs across a variety of different job categories. Hopefully if you have any sort of medical background, you will find something you could apply for below.
In the medical industry, there is a shorthand coding system used to describe various procedures and diagnoses. A coder is responsible for taking medical records and transforming them into code using a specific set of technical guidelines, mostly for the purpose of easier data-management.
If you're looking to get training in medical billing/coding, CareerStep is one of the most reputable schools offering certification.
The following companies sometimes hire work at home medical coders:
- Conifer Health Solutions – Hires experienced medical coders to work from home. Search “telecommuting” in the job search box to find the remote positions.
- iMedx – Three years experience required.
- Aviacode – Three years experience required as well as certification. Benefits are offered.
- The Coding Network – Three years experience required as well as certification.
- LexiCode – Hires people with certification along with at least two years experience.
- Maxim Health Information – Will hire coders to work from home that have three years experience as well as certification. Type “coder” into the search box on their jobs page to find the coding positions.
This is a remote medical diagnostic job where you take calls from people who have health concerns and help them determine the most likely causes based on their symptoms.
In most cases, you'll then give them advice on the next step to take for their medical care needs. Thanks to telehealth, triage is something you can do from home.
- Anthem – Occasionally hiring experienced RN's to do telephone triage from home. Search “work from home” in the keyword box to see if they have any work from home positions open.
- Carenet – Hires registered nurses to work from home as “care advisors.”
- FoneMed – If you are registered nurse, you can work remotely from home doing telephone triage for patients at FoneMed. This is an employee position offering hourly pay and several benefits.
- Nemours – Occasionally hiring for work at home telephone triage.
- – Has occasional openings for night nurses to work at home. Must have a minimum 2-year degree in the medical field and active nurse license (or higher medical license). RN or higher preferred. Neurology experience background a plus.
- Triage 4 Pediatrics – Hires home-based telephone triage nurses. Must have a Texas RN license.
- United Health Group – Sometimes has work from home openings for telephonic health coaches (among other openings). Note that this job is not always open.
Most case managers have nursing backgrounds. The job involves coordinating between patients and doctors, as well as helping people determine medical options based on their insurance plans.
- American International Group (AIG) – Hires work from home case managers and medical reviewers. You may be required to work onsite for a bit before being allowed to telecommute.
- Cigna – Hires RN's to do case management from home on occasion. Search “work from home” in the keyword field on the main site.
- The Hartford – Often has openings for RN's to do case management from home. Search “remote” in the jobs database to find the home-based work.
- Healthfirst – Hires nurse case managers to work from home. Company is based out of New York.
Telehealth/Call Center Work
Some of these jobs are a bit like customer service positions. Others involve calling clients for doctors, hospitals, and insurance companies to and gather info from them about their medical history and things of that nature.
- ARO – Hires for telehealth call center work. Calls are outbound. You must be an LPN or RN to be considered.
This job involves monitoring and analyzing data from medical trials. A degree in life sciences is generally required for positions in this field, and many jobs are only given to those with a PhD.
- Labcorp – Hires people in the US, Canada, and Europe to be home-based clinical research associates. Visit the jobs database and search “home-based” to find the home jobs.
Medical scribes work at home or onsite listening to recordings of encounters between doctors and their patients.
The job will usually involve interpreting and documenting the patient's visit with the doctor into the EMR (Electronic Medical Record). This helps the doctor keep electronic records straight so that no important details are missed.
- ProScribe – They hire virtual medical scribes across different US areas. Must have at least a high school diploma, but college status is preferred.
- ScribeKick – They require a Bachelor’s degree, or at minimum be a junior or senior working towards a Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study. They also prefer some past experience in healthcare or science, but this is not required.
And that wraps up our list of online medical jobs! Good luck if you choose to pursue any of the above.
- Train For Medical Coding, Billing, & Transcription With CareerStep
- All About Remote Medical Coding Jobs
- Work From Home Jobs For Nurses
- All About Medical Billing From Home
- 150 Work at Home Jobs + How to Find Even More