If you're new to general transcription and would like to get some paid practice in, CastingWords is a company to consider. They are a US based company that has existed since 2005. The company has a website where you can sign up directly and work. Note that one reader has let us know if you're from Rhode Island, you're not able to work for this company.
If you are completely unfamiliar with general transcription, you may want to read more about how to become a transcriptionist from home.
The rates are all over the place with most paying way less than $1 per audio minute, although some pay more.
However, one thing to keep in mind is that CastingWords offers bonuses for good quality work, and lots of times these bonuses do put you over the $1 per audio minute. They also have some transcription editing jobs you can work on in addition to transcribing.
Related: FREE 5-day general transcription mini e-course – learn what you can earn and what it takes to start!
Frequency of Pay
If you're working through the CastingWords site, payments are made to Paypal on Fridays. You have to have at least $1 to request a transfer.
You do not need prior transcription experience to start and you don't have to take a test to get going, either. You can just dive in and start working.
Transcription is almost always very flexible work from home. When you claim a file, it will have a deadline attached to it, but apart from that you can work whenever you want provided there is work available to do.
Tips For Success
Transcription isn't as easy as it might seem if you've never done it before. With most transcription jobs, there is a style guide you need to familiarize yourself with to ensure you're doing everything correctly.
Be sure to read through CastingWord's style guide before you start and keep it open as you work so you can refer to it when you need to — and you might need to refer to it often in the beginning.
Also, don't give up immediately. Transcription can be frustrating, but you can get good at it if you just keep going with it.
You can go here to sign up directly at the CastingWords site. Good luck!
Are you serious about pursuing a career in transcription?
If you don't know a lot about transcribing from home and are very curious about doing this as your career, here are the resources and further reading we have vetted and recommend for you!
- Transcription Foundations – a free 7-lesson mini-course that teaches you all about general transcription, how much you can earn, where to find work, and more.
- Legal Transcription – another free mini-course that explains exactly what it takes to get into legal transcription
- Jumpstart Your General Transcription Career – the most informative transcription eBook you'll find, at just $5.99, written by transcriptionist and fellow work at home blogger Lisa Mills.
- CareerStep – the course many aspiring medical transcribers take for training. Payment plans available, plus financial assistance for military spouses.
- All About General Transcription
- All About Medical Transcription
- A BIG list of 100 other companies that regularly hire work at home transcribers
Good luck in however you choose to approach transcription. It can be a great way to earn an income from home!