Many of us start the New Year off with the same old resolutions, and lots of times those resolutions include losing weight and getting fit. While some people see this through and lose the weight they vow they are going to, I think it's safe to say that most of us have fallen off the wagon completely within a month or less!
But what if we could actually get paid to lose that weight? I don't know about you, but I really think that a money incentive would certainly motivate me to stick to my goals!
In case you weren't aware, there actually are a couple of ways you can lose weight and get paid for it. So if you have major plans to lose weight this year and you're worried that you won't be able to see them through, you might want to look these options over and really consider trying one or more of them out.
#1 – Healthy Wage
Healthy Wage is another site that lets you join weight loss games with the promise of a financial reward if you meet your goals. This one also requires an entry fee, but just like DietBet, the cost is not too bad — about $25 per month for the team challenges, and you can choose how much you want to bet if you prefer to bet on yourself and not join a challenge.
Healthy Wage has a handy calculator on their site that tells you what your prize will be based on how much you want to lose and how much you're willing to bet. There are lots of testimonials on the site showing people who have won $1,000 and more along with losing a substantial amount of weight.
If you meet your goals, you can get paid in cash — check or Paypal — or you can opt for credit at Amazon. For more details on how it works, you can check out my review of Healthy Wage or just go ahead and check out the site here.
#2 – DietBet
You can earn money for losing weight with DietBet by betting on yourself to lose the weight. There are different competitions going on at all times — some short-term and some long-term — and you can choose to either create your own betting game and invite people to join in, or browse the site and find betting games you want to join.
All participants have to throw a little money into the pot, and at the end of the bet the people who have met their goals get to split what's in the pot.
You can join bets for as little as $10, and if you are one of the winners, you'll be paid via Paypal. For more details on how DietBet works, you can read my review of DietBet here.
If you have a Walgreen's near you, you can sign up for their Balance Rewards program and earn rewards for your healthy habits. They will give you points for various healthy tasks you complete like weighing in, achieving a health goal, exercise, not smoking, etc.
You can connect your Balance Rewards account to your Fitbit and MyFitnessPal to make the tracking easier for you. While Balance Rewards doesn't actually pay you cash, the points will translate to savings on your Walgreen's purchases which is more or less the same thing, especially if you shop at Walgreen's often (and many people do as this is a major drugstore chain).
Go here to learn more about Walgreen's Balance Rewards program.
#4 – StickK
This is a site that is pretty similar to HealthyWage and DietBet (above). You can set a goal to lose weight (or anything else you're trying to achieve) and then sign a “commitment contract” with yourself to ensure you actually do it. Then, similar to the diet “betting” sites, you put money on the line to help you follow through with your goal.
StickK will not take any money upfront however. They only bill you the money you put up if you do not meet your goal. If you are successful and StickK owes you the money, you can request a payout and receive it via Paypal within 72 hours of requesting it.
Go here to learn more about how StickK works.
#5 – Achievement
This is an app you can download to your Android or Apple device and get paid cash for doing healthy things like tracking your steps, eating right, getting good sleep, and so on. You can connect Achievement to several different popular apps like the one you use for your Fitbit, Strava, Garmin, MyFitnessPal, and more.
Payments are made via Paypal or direct deposit. Every 10,000 points you earn is equivalent to $10 in cash.
Go here to learn more about the Achievement app.
If you decide to try out any of the above sites to help you meet your weight loss goals this year, please comment below and let us know how it goes! Good luck!
This post was written as part of a massive blogger collaboration project — 41 Ways to Make This the Best Year Ever. For more ideas to make this your best year yet, browse the links below for other entries!
1. How to Set and Keep Goals to Make This the Best Year Ever | Jen @ Girl in Garage
2. Completing Those Unfinished Projects in the NEW YEAR | Angela Lerew @ Unexpected Elegance
2. 42 Ways to Practice Perfectly & Become an Expert at Almost Anything | Amy Garro @ 13 Spools
4. Easy Exercises to do on a Cruise Ship | Amanda Woods @ Adventures All Around
5. 31 Days to a More Fabulous You | Julie Bonner @ Mom Fabulous
6. How to Make This the Best Gardening Year Ever | Kendra Spencer @ a Sonoma Garden
7. 5 Ways to Make this Your Best Monarch Season…Ever! | Tony Gomez @ Monarch Butterfly Garden
8. 12 Scriptures for Goals and Guidance | Julie @ Loving Christ Ministries
9. How to Build a Starter Emergency Fund in 30 Days or Less | Jackie Beck @ The Debt Myth
10. Family Verse of the Week Challenge for 2015 | Jamie Yonash @ Life is Sweeter By Design
11. Hot Work at Home Jobs | Holly Hanna @ The Work at Home Woman
12. A Year of Intention | Hilary Bernstein @ Accidentally Green
13. 2015: Our Best Year Yet | Ashley @ Leaving the Rut
14. Get Ready to Get MDfit | Tom and Anne @ Eat & Be Fit
15. 5 Free Ways to Learn Something New This Year | Sarah Fuller @ Earning and Saving with Sarah Fuller
16. Healthy Leek Soup | Mirlandra @ Mirlandra's Kitchen
17. Health Resolutions: Baby Steps to a New You | Ellen Christian @ Confessions of an Overworked Mom
18. 3 Steps to a Healthier Life in 2015 | Joe Goodwill @Average Joe Cyclist
19. New Year's Resolution: Cook More Often! | Kim Pawell @ Something New for Dinner
20. I Should What? 28 Ways to be Happier | Karen Young @ Hey Sigmund
21. In 2015 Resolve to Take Control of Your Money | Kristia @ Family Balance Sheet
22. Eucharisteo: A Year of Thanksgiving | Lani Padilla @ Simply Fresh Vintage
23. No More Tears at IEP Meetings: Make This Your Best Year Ever! | Lisa Lightner @ A Day In Our Shoes
23. How to Achieve Your New Year’s Resolution – For Real This Time! | Michelle @ Dishes and Dust Bunnies
24. 52 Weeks to a Better You: Week 1 – Go to Bed Early | Mindi Cherry @ Moms Need to Know
25. Organizing Coupons with the Binder Method | Sara Steigerwald @ Sisters Shopping on a Shoe String
26. How to Make This Year the Happiest Yet | Shambray @ Shambray.com
27. A New Year, A New You | Sharon Rowe @ How to Get Organized at Home
28. 5 Ways to Get Paid for Losing Weight This Year | Anna @ Real Ways to Earn Money Online
29. Tips for Successful Whole30 | Deanna Michaels @ From This Kitchen Table
30. 75 Ways to Be Healthier in 2015 | Maryea Flaherty @ Happy Healthy Mama
31. How to Make 2015 the Best Year Ever! | Jennifer @ My Boys & Their Toys
Fashion Resolutions: How to Add Style to Any Outfit | Ellen Christian @ The Socialite's Closet
This post originally published January 1st, 2015. Updated and re-published on January 8, 2018.