Do you enjoy photography? Do you know how to do photo editing? Do you have a good eye for what sells when it comes to photography? Then Shutterstock might be a good non phone work at home option!
What Exactly is Shutterstock?
Shutterstock is an e-commerce company that provides businesses and consumers with royalty-free photos, videos, and illustrations. Shutterstock has a worldwide community of contributing photographers, videographers, artists, and illustrators.
What Does an Image Reviewer Do at Shutterstock?
An image reviewer will be evaluating the images for:
- overall quality.
- technical execution.
- commercial suitability.
- adherence to the company’s acceptance standards.
The responsibilities of the image reviewer will be to:
- approve images based on acceptance standards.
- look for technical standards, trademark exceptions, fraud and copyright requirements.
- review images for suitability for commercial image catalog.
- able to work in a high volume, fast-paced, and detail-oriented manner.
- able to apply metadata standards and editing.
- select keywords that drive search engine results.
- provide consistent, objective, efficient, concise and accurate feedback to contributors.
What Skills Are Needed to Be an Image Reviewer at Shutterstock?
The skills needed are:
- domain expertise
- 2+ years of professional photography experience
- availability to work 25-30 hours per week including 5-8 hours on the weekends
- ability to photo edit
- understanding of evolving trends, styles, and commercial value
- making detailed judgments repetitively
- organized, analytical, and detail-oriented
- strong command of English
What Are the Computer Requirements to Work at Shutterstock?
You will need:
- high-speed wired Internet access
- PC, laptop or Mac
- accurate color display for high-resolutions
- Adobe Photoshop
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Office Suite
When you apply for this position, your computer will also be checked for downloading speeds too. At least 25 mbps is required for the download speed.
What Are the Hours at Shutterstock?
You work between 25-30 hours per week and with 5-8 of those hours worked on the weekend. You can base the hours around your own schedule.
What is the Pay Like at Shutterstock?
There is a thread on the Shutterstock forums where someone states that they think reviewers get 5 cents an image, but this was an old thread dating from 2011 so the pay could have gone up or down since then. Pay is per image reviewed.
Are You an Employee or an Independent Contractor at Shutterstock?
You are an independent contractor and responsible for your own taxes. Should you make over $600 a year, you will be sent a 1099 Tax Form.
What is My Overall Impression of Shutterstock?
Shutterstock seems like a nice place to work and make money from home. The photography on the main website (where buyers go) was very high-quality. The overall company rating was 3.8 out of 5 stars, and you can certainly read some of the reviews for yourself on Glassdoor.
How Do Interested Individuals Apply to Shutterstock?
Interested individuals who meet the requirements should go to the application/assessment.