When I research home-based jobs, I often come across a lot of companies that are looking for people to teach English online (English Second Language tutors). If you want to work from home and are qualified to do this, it could be a great way to make some money! The requirements vary from company to company as does the pay.
Some want a college degree, others don't mind if you have don't have one. Also, sometimes the work will be done online while other times it's via phone and/or webcam.
Teach English Online – Companies To Consider
The following companies all offer legitimate online English teaching jobs you can do from the comfort of your own home. Certifications, educational requirements, and estimate pay vary. These are all independent contractor positions.
- VIPKid – Earn between $14 and $18 hourly tutoring Chinese children in English. Read VIPKid review here.
- QKIDS – Earn $20 hourly teaching English online to Chinese students. Must reside in the US or Canada and either have a degree or currently be enrolled in a university program. Read QKIDS Review here.
- EF – EF (Education First) — Read EF Education First Review – Now hiring online English teachers in the US and UK. You can earn between $12 and $19 hourly for teaching Chinese children online. A bachelor's degree along with teaching or some sort of related experience is required. It's also preferred if you have a TEFL certificate or are committed to getting one.
- SayABC – Read SayABC Review – Open to US, Canada, and Australia. Must be a native English speaker with a bachelor's degree or above.
- Magic Ears – Read Magic Ears Review – Open to US and Canada. Bachelor's degree or current university enrollment required. Pay is between $18 and $26 hourly with a flexible schedule offered.
- Gogokid – This site pays $14 hourly for online ESL tutoring (you'd be tutoring Chinese, school-aged children).
- 51 Talk – This company pays $18 for every 45-minute tutoring session. Bachelor's degree and one year of teaching experience required (US or Canadian education systems). Payments are made monthly via Paypal or bank transfer.
- Cambly – Webcam tutoring. You can teach English online without a degree, and you can work anytime! Currently they need English & Spanish language tutors. This is informal tutoring — you're mostly doing social chatting. Also, check out my Cambly review if you need more info.
- Berlitz – This company pays $13 an hour for ESL tutoring. You must be a native English or French speaker to be considered.
- English Hunt – Often hires people to teach English online from home via video (independent contractors). Must have a four-year degree and have either teaching or substitute teaching certification.
- GoFLUENT – Hires tutors in the U.S. and Canada (certain areas only). This is a company I have reviewed. You can read the review of GoFLUENT here.
- TutorABC (TutorGroup) – Must have a four-year degree. Read my review of TutorABC here.
- Open English – Hires native English speakers to teach English online. Must be able to put in 15 hours per week. Read my review of Open English here.
- iTalki – Work anywhere in the world teaching any language. You will qualify as long as you are a native fluency speaker for your lanuage.
- SameSpeak – If your first language is English, you can apply. You will earn $10 for every half-hour tutor session you complete. Also, you can be as young as 16 to sign up.
- Learnlight – This company hires online ESL telephone teachers. Pay is monthly. They were formerly known as ISUS.
TEFL and TESOL Certification – Where To Get It & What It Costs
Some (but not all) of the online English teaching jobs above will require or prefer that you are TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) or TESOL (Teaching English as a Second Language) certified prior to hiring you. And even if the certification isn't needed, having it is more likely to help rather than hurt your acceptance chances.
For an affordable TESOL certificate, you can go through International Open Academy. It's highly rated by students and only costs $19 if you go through Groupon to sign up (regular price $499).
Groupon also has a TEFL course for $39 you can go through to get certified for that.
The course you should take depends on which company you're interested in and their requirements. It would certainly be beneficial to have both, however.
Online English Teaching Jobs Not Requiring College Or Certification
If you have no college degree and no certification but still want to teach English online, below are a couple of companies to consider (a few of these may also be listed above):
Where To Look For More Ways To Teach English Online
Another place to look for online English teaching jobs is FlexJobs. It's a low price of $14.95 per month to get a subscription and access their work at home listings, but you can cancel it at any time if you don't find helpful leads.
Plus right now there is a promo code you can use to get 30% off your membership. Just put in AFFILPROMO at checkout to receive the discount.
You can go here to see the number of ESL teaching jobs they currently have posted. They update with hundreds of new job leads every day.
We also post new ESL teaching jobs when we find them on our work at home job leads page.
Post originally published on May 1, 2012. Updated and republished on April 4, 2019.