Here are some magazines that may occasionally accept both writing and artwork/photography submissions. You'll have to very above-average writing and photography skills to get your work accepted, but the pay rates are fantastic.
Animals – Pets
- Animal Wellness Magazine – Welcoming unsolicited articles and story outlines. Articles may range in length from 500 to 1,500 words.
- Aquarium Fish International – Pays around 15 cents a word.
- Bird TALK magazine – Directed to the general population of parrot, canary, finch and dove owners and written for the adult audience. Requires 800 to 2,000 words. Pay is $100 to $400 per piece.
- Cat Fancy – We are open to working with new contributors and fresh voices in addition to drawing from a talented crop of established contributors. Length: 100-1,000 words. Query first.
- Dog Fancy – Most of the articles in DOG FANCY are written by freelancers. We welcome new contributors because they offer fresh ideas we might not otherwise consider. Also accepts photography submissions.
- EQUUS – A magazine for horse lovers. Requires 1600 to 3000 words, pay depends on quality, length, and complexity of the story.
- Ferrets Magazine – Publication is directed to the general population of ferret owners and written for the adult audience who is either a first-time or continuing ferret owner.
- Reptile Magazine – A monthly publication that caters to reptile and amphibian hobbyists. Pays about $500 for 2,000 to 2,500 words.
- The Bark – About life with dogs. Pays upon publication.
- The Horse – A monthly magazine devoted to horse care. They prefer “how to” and technical topics.
- Tropical Fish Hobbyist – They accept both articles and photos. Guidelines listed on site.
Business – Career
- Family Business Magazine – Family Business Magazine publishes only five times a year — thus, the opportunities we offer are few and far between. We accept very few of the dozens of writer queries we receive every day.
- Home Business Journal – Home Business Journal is looking for talented writers to help contribute to our online business publication. In exchange for your articles, we offer world wide exposure to you as an author, your products or your services.
- MyBusiness Magazine – We accept pitches for feature stories, which fall under one of three categories: Own, Operate and Grow. Story ideas should be small-business focused, with an emphasis on timely problems that small business owners face and real, workable solutions. Trend pieces are also of interest.
- Working Money – About investing. Flat rate payment made upon publication.
- Working Mother – They do accept freelance submissions. You have to submit a pitch for an article first.
Children – Young Adult
- American Girl – American Girl magazine publishes readers' work and is accepting non-fiction submissions by children for crafts, cooking, puzzles, profiles, drawings, jokes, letters, etc. Please check the current issue of American Girl for specific examples.
- Boy's Quest – BOYS' QUEST looks for articles, fiction, nonfiction, and poetry that deal with timeless topics, such as pets, nature, hobbies, science, games, sports, careers, simple cooking, and anything else likely to interest a 10-year-old boy.
- Children's Writer – You have to click the “Writer's Guidelines” link to the left of the page to read the guidelines for Children's Writer.
- Fun for Kidz – We are looking for lively writing that involves an activity that is both wholesome and unusual. We are looking for articles around 500 words as well as puzzles, poems, cooking, carpentry projects, jokes, riddles, crafts, and other activities that complement the theme.
- Girl's Life – Girl's Life magazine will pay for your freelance articles, but pay amount is not listed.
- Highlights – Highlights for Children is a general-interest, advertising-free magazine for children up to age twelve. $25 to $150 per article.
- Pockets Magazine – For kids aged 6-12, Christian magazine offering fiction, scripture, puzzles, games, etc. Pays 25 cents a word for stories and $25 and up for other types of submissions.
- Cricket Magazine – Will pay between $10 and $210 dollars for your color or black and white original images.
- American Craft Magazine – They work primarily with experienced arts journalists who are able to write with depth and nuance, and we value freelancers who can write for a general creative audience with clarity and insight.
- Bead & Button Magazine – Bead and Button is publication for crafters.
- Sew News – Articles should teach a specific technique, inspire the reader to try a project, introduce the reader to a new product or company related to sewing, or inform the reader about current fashion and sewing trends.
- Threads Magazine – Bi-monthly, how-to magazine. Interested in articles about construction and embellishment techniques, materials, tools, and design.
- Teacher Magazine – Teacher magazine may take your commentary submissions, but amount of pay is not listed.
- Georgia Family – Georgia Family Magazine is a regional parenting publication with a circulation of 17,000 monthly copies in Central Georgia.
- Beautiful Savage – This is an online art, design, music, and fashion magazine that will pay for freelance submissions.
- Reader's Digest – You can submit jokes to Reader's Digest. If yours is selected, you'll receive $100.
- Analog Science-Fiction – Analog will consider material submitted by any writer, and consider it solely on the basis of merit. We are definitely eager to find and develop new, capable writers.
- Futurismic – Futurismic seeks contemporary, near future science fiction for online publication. We’re looking for innovative, exciting stories that use the tools of speculative fiction to examine contemporary issues and take a look at what’s just around the corner.
- Heliotrope – Heliotrope accepts fiction, non-fiction, and also poetry. They are not always open to submissions.
- GRIT Magazine – DO NOT try to write for GRIT if you know nothing about rural life, gardening or urban farming. We intend to be an authoritative and sometimes playful voice for rural lifestyle farmers and country or small-town dwellers.
Tech – Computers
- HOW Magazine – HOW Magazine is for graphic designers.Pays up to $800 per article.
Travel – Regional
- Budget Travel – Pays .50 to $1 per word.
- Mountain Gazette – Mountain Gazette pays between $50 and $500 for your published submissions, and they accept unsolicited submissions.
Want to Learn Even More About Professional, High-Pay Writing?
There is a freelance writing course created by Gina Horkey who currently earns well over $4,000 a month as a freelance writer. The course is done entirely through your email and contains actionable information based off her own business plan to teach you how you can be successful and achieve similar results.
You will learn to:
- Choose the right niche
- Find clients
- Pitch yourself
- Set your own rates
- Source writing jobs
- and much more!
Course Price: $147 (payment plan available).
Not sure what you could earn money writing about? Gina offers a completely free list of 200+ writing niches you can check out — no strings attached.