Direct sales is definitely not for everyone. Doing well requires lots of hard work, dedication, and it also goes without saying that results will vary. However, I do personally know several people who are doing well with direct sales. I also realize that there are many people who would like to try their hand in direct selling but may be a little afraid to take the risk because there is a fee for the starter kit of items needed to get going.
Fortunately, not all direct sales companies are created equally. There are many that are actually free — or at least very cheap — to get started with. If you would like to see how well you could do at direct selling, these are companies you can try out with minimal financial risk.
Free to Start
- PartyLite Candles – This is a candle company where you can start your business at no cost by having a party at your home with at least $350 in sales. If you do not hold a party or generate $350 in sales, the kit costs $99.
- Fuller Brush – You sell Fuller brand cooking and cleaning supplies. While some of the start up options require you pay a fee, they do have a free option, too.
- Bella Branch – They have an affiliate program that is free where you can get 25 percent commission for referring people to buy their jewelry. They give you your own personalized website to use for sales.
Cheap to Start
- Avon – Avon is one of the oldest, most reputable companies around. You are primarily selling beauty products, but they have lots of other items, too. It is super cheap to join — just $15. You also get your own free website that you can refer people to for online sales. Earn between 20 and 50 percent commission on sales.
- Jewelry Candles – Selling candles with jewelry inside. Low $10 start up cost. Earn 20 to 25 percent commission on sales.
- Jewelry In Candles – Selling jewelry in candles. It is $29.95 to start, but the company will refund this money to you if you meet a $250 sales quota in 30 days. Earn 40 percent commission on sales.
- Country Gourmet Home – Selling mixes, butters, jellies, and other food items. They have a basic enrollment for just $10.95. Get 20 to 45 percent commission.
- Kat’s Coffees – This one is just $5 to start. You are selling coffee, tea, and condiments.
- That’s a Wrap – Selling gift wrap and accessories. It’s just $10 to start, but there is an annual $10 fee every year on your sign up anniversary. Earn 20 percent commission on sales.
- Heritage Makers – Online publishing and digital scrapbooking. They have four starter kits, one that is just $10. Earn 20 percent commission on sales.
- Simply Fun – Selling educational games/activities for kids. They have a start up option for $19. Earn 25 to 40 percent commission on sales.
- Noevir – Selling beauty/hair care products. Get started for $25. Earn 30 percent commission on sales.
You can find a ton more opportunities on the direct sales page in my directory.
Please keep in mind I cannot personally vouch for any of these companies. You will need to read ALL the fine print before signing up to be a consultant. There could always be “hidden” fees, so make sure you are fully aware of the all the details before you pay anything and register. It’s also a good idea to do some Googling first to see what other consultants and/or customers have to say about the company you’re considering and their products.
If the company you want to join isn’t affordable, keep tabs on them. Sometimes they’ll offer special promotions for potential consultants so you can get started cheaper. You may also be able to find an existing rep who would be willing to sponsor you or help you earn your kit in some way, so that’s another thing to think about.
Are you a direct sales consultant interested in advertising on this site? Details are here.This post may contain affiliate links. Please see the disclosure for more information.
Get Home-Based Job Leads in Your Inbox.
16,000 other subscribers are getting blog updates and new work at home leads in their inbox every Saturday. Want to be one of them?
I'll also send you my FREE report, Top 10 Ways to Work at Home.