freelance transcription for Rev.comRev is a company I’ve come across a few times on the forums that regularly hires freelance transcribers and also translators. They are based out of San Francisco, CA, and it appears that they are open to hiring freelancers worldwide. It looks like the transcription you do for them is general, not medical.

Do you need experience?

They specifically state they are looking for skilled transcribers. However, the application page doesn’t ask how much experience you have and instead just requests you provide two transcription samples. If you can do well on your samples, you may have a shot at getting in regardless of how much experience you have.

How much does Rev pay?

They pay between .40 and .65 per audio minute. There is potential for bonuses if your quality is good, which is probably why the rates listed vary. If you’re not familiar with transcription and how it works, remember that transcribing one minute of audio could actually take several minutes depending on it’s complexity. The pay rate Rev advertises for freelancers does appear to be very low and makes me think that this may just be an extra money thing or “filler” work between other jobs. It’s possibly a way to get your feet wet in transcription if you don’t have a lot of experience. However, someone at WAHM stated that she can go pretty fast and is able to average $10 an hour at Rev.

If you actually are a very skilled transcriptionist, you can probably get hired by other companies that pay more than this.

When and how does Rev pay?

Rev pays weekly, every Monday, with Paypal. This is definitely a plus. It’s nice to have access to side jobs that always pay weekly so you can depend on at least a little money coming in regularly.

What is the schedule?

The schedule is another good thing about Rev — there isn’t one. It appears you are free to log in and work whenever you want, choosing from whatever jobs happen to be available to transcribe at a given time.

How does the application process work?

You  have to fill out some basic information — name, address, and so forth — and then transcribe two transcription samples for them. One is a single speaker recording and the other is a multi-speaker recording. They do provide you with their style guide and word template before you start. Then just submit and wait to hear back.

Warning – There is a chance you could go through the entire application process — submitting the samples and everything — only to find out Rev is not hiring. A reader let me know that this happened to her. Apparently they leave their “Jobs” page up as though they are hiring all the time even when they are not. The app process is fairly time consuming. Just wanted to warn you all!

How long does it take to hear back?

This will always vary, but there have been some people on the WAHM forum saying they heard back within just a few days. It does look like they will email you to let you know one way or the other, so if they didn’t accept you, you won’t just be left hanging and wondering if you got in or not. If you don’t get in, you can take their test again in six months.

Keep in mind they are not always hiring. It looks like they always have their application page in place regardless of whether or not they are actively seeking out transcribers. If they aren’t hiring right now, you’ll probably get an email letting you know this after you submit your samples.

Feedback on Rev?

The feedback on Rev indicates that they pay reliably, which is important. Even though the pay is lower than what you might get working for other companies, they offer weekly pay and you could potentially get in with little/no experience.

Where do you sign up?

You can go here to apply for the transcription position at Rev. Please leave a comment if you want to share any extra info about this company.

1 lindsay July 23, 2013 at 9:28 am

I have never tried transcription work though I think I can do this. Thank you for the info. $0.65 per minute is actually a fortune for some people especially those living outside US

2 Sakeenah July 25, 2013 at 1:56 pm

It’s actually $0.65 per audio minute, which takes longer to transcribe. For inexperienced transcribers, about 10 times longer or more. Experienced transcribers expect to trans in a 1:4-1:6 ratio. Standard rate is $1/audio minute.

3 Joe January 20, 2014 at 5:45 am

Guess I heard about this too late. When I tried to apply, the web site started to load a form, then showed:
Sorry, but this form is no longer accepting submissions.”
Oh well, at least they did not waste my time applying when not hiring.

4 Anna T January 22, 2014 at 6:30 am

They may just not be accepting applications right now. You can always check back in a few weeks or months because it could change.

5 Leon G February 17, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Anna, I’ve been working for a transcription company for 10 months now and I want to do online transcriptions for extra income. Can you recommend me a good company that pays well and reliable?

6 Anna T February 18, 2014 at 6:58 am

I have heard good things about Verbal Ink – http://verbalink.com/about-verbal-ink/verbal-ink-jobs

7 Pat Pine February 28, 2014 at 10:14 pm

My granddaughter has completed her communications studies @UCSB…she has completed quite a few internships and is and I believe she may do very well in the transcription field until she finds her place in the communications field. How do I explain just what transcribing is, and are there classes for this field?

8 Valerie Hartman April 9, 2014 at 9:54 am

I am a former transcriber for the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands. I applied to work for Rev, submitted the transcription test, and was… rejected with no reason. I must say I am a native French speaker, bu my native American husband helped me (he is an English major). So basically, my conclusion is that if you are “over qualified” they won’t recruit you. I’ve read similar comments on Facebook from other qualified people. Some websites like this one may have the work, but will not want to pay too high.

9 Paige June 24, 2014 at 6:37 am

I just received a rejection letter for this one. I’m a native English speaker, grad student, and have transcription experience, so I’m not quite sure what they are looking for.

10 Sheeroh June 28, 2014 at 8:08 am

They seem to be extremely strict in how they choose candidates.I really wonder what they’re looking for.

11 Sky Callen July 6, 2014 at 9:54 am

It is actually very difficult to get on with this company. They do reject you for no reason at all. Also it takes a lot longer, then just transcribing, because you have to add the caption to the video, then review the video to make sure that that the captions sync up with the video correctly. So as a result, you are watching the video multiple times, which takes time depending on the length of the video.

12 Kevin Velasco July 14, 2014 at 11:00 pm

I spent over 8 hours going through the application process only to be rejected before the final application step. Complete waste of time. Stay away.

13 Penny July 17, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Hey, I just found your website and read this article. Just wanted to let you know that I got a response back fro m Rev.com and they said that they will be sending me an email with all the hiring details, account setup info,etc… in about 3 months. They do send you a copy of their style guide so you can download it and read it. Also they will be doing another test of about 60 mins to help work on my training. So I will start out as a Rookie but then when i get going and get better i can be promoted to Revver status and start earning 25% more they say. Hopefully, I will hear back in about 3 months or so.
but they have NOT asked for any money to start working for them or anything. That is a plus in their favor.

14 Leelah July 23, 2014 at 7:19 am

Hi!
I also got a reply back from Rev.com about sending me all the necessary information in about 5 weeks. Have you heard back from Rev.com yet? I’m worried it may not be legit….even though this blog post says it could be.

15 Sam July 30, 2014 at 11:06 pm

Hey. Likewise. I’ve been waiting since early June – first got an email saying they’ll be bringing me on-board in 5 weeks, and then received another one saying it has been extended to an additional 3 weeks, because of the holidays and low work-flow. Are your 5 weeks over, Leelah? Have you heard back yet?

16 Sharon July 21, 2014 at 11:48 pm

I applied and transcribed an audio. I also attached my resume, but my extensive experience is mostly as a legal secretary and real estate broker. I briefly trained as a medical transcriptionist but was not certified. I applied over the weekend and got a rejection email today, which stated:

“Thank you for applying for the transcriptionist position with Rev. We have rigorous minimum standards and unfortunately your application did not meet those.

Please do not contact Rev regarding this decision, as we are unable to further elaborate on our reasons.

Again, thank you for your interest in working with Rev. You may re-apply in six months.”

I doubt I’ll reapply because I don’t think I have enough transcription experience, even though I’m pretty confident I answered all the questions correctly and transcribed the audio correctly. Good luck.