Answering Surveys for Darwin’s Data

by Anna T · 26 comments

in Extra Cash, Paid Surveys

answering surveys for Darwin's Data

Darwin’s Data is not your typical survey panel. I am really excited to share this one with you because they offer a nice incentive just for signing up plus they pay out pretty generously for every survey you take. I have done my research and it looks like they are definitely paying.

Unlike many survey panels you may be familiar with, the questions aren’t about products you use. Darwin’s Data will ask you primarily about your opinions on various legal disputes.

Who can sign up to be a panelist for Darwin’s Data?

You must be a US resident and at least 18 years old. You also must have a valid driver’s license or be a registered voter.

How much does Darwin’s Data pay?

For every survey you complete, you will receive a $25 Amazon gift code. You will also receive a $10 Amazon gift code for taking their introductory survey after signing up. Note that you do have to request an invite to sign up, so you won’t have access to this introductory survey right away. It should come via email sometime after you request your invite. I can confirm that I took the intro survey and did receive the $10 Amazon gift code a few days later.

Darwin’s Data also has a rewards program for frequent survey takers called “Darwin’s Deals.” Being a part of this program means you can earn more cash (I’m assuming Amazon cash) and also sweepstakes entries.

How long does it take to get your Amazon gift code?

Darwin’s Data will send your gift code within two business days after you’ve completed a survey. The code will come to your email address.

How long are the surveys?

They are fairly long, the site says most take about an hour to complete. Also, each survey has to be completed in one sitting. You can’t take a long break and save your answers to finish later. So you may not want to begin a survey until you know that you can do it in one sitting without interruption.

How do survey invitations works?

Darwin’s will email you if they have a survey available that matches your profile. Note that these are first come, first serve. Each survey has a maximum number of people that may participate. If you are late accepting your invite and all spots have been filled, you’ll just have to wait for the next one.

What is the feedback on Darwin’s Data so far?

I have been reading only good things. They appear to pay their panelists as promised and within the two day time frame the site lists and they have overwhelmingly good feedback at Survey Police.

Update 7/29/13 – Some readers have expressed concern over the fact that Darwin’s Data asks some security-type questions during their introductory survey such as “what street did you grown up on?” and “what was your Grandmother’s maiden name?” and things like that. These are typical security questions you might have to answer to get your password changed with your bank, etc. However, I emailed Darwin’s to ask them the purpose of these questions and they said it is so they can be sure the person who registered at the site is the same person taking the $25 surveys since the invites do come through email. If you answer one of the $25 surveys, you will be asked some or all of those same security questions again to be sure that your answers match what you originally put — so they can confirm it’s actually you and not anyone else taking the survey on your behalf. And a few people on my Facebook page also pointed out that it would be difficult for them to access any of your other accounts based on that information and your basic contact info alone.

This is all the information I have to go on. You can always just put prefer not to answer or n/a in the security question boxes, or possibly put inaccurate information, you’ll just have to remember what you put.

How do you get started?

You will need to request an invite on the Darwin’s Data site. After that, wait for your introductory survey to come. I’m not sure how long that takes. I signed up yesterday but haven’t gotten one yet, although I probably need to check through my spam to see if it’s in there somewhere.

Please note that if you are trying to access Darwin’s Data with your mobile device, you’ll probably get a page that says “Coming Soon.” So you’ll need to sign up through a non-mobile device.

If you are interested in making extra money online taking paid surveys, you will want to check out my e-book that provides super detailed information on paid surveys, how they work, how they pay, and which panels to use. It is currently available at Amazon. No kindle? No worries! Amazon has a free cloud reader that lets you read ebooks on any device, including your computer.

Go here to download Your Guide to Taking Paid Surveys For Extra Cash.

Note: This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.

1 Jerri July 22, 2013 at 10:31 am

Does anyone know how frequent their surveys are? I’m just curious.

2 Sean July 22, 2013 at 8:44 pm

hello everyone i just wanted to pass along a very good site to go to for screened surveys and or just a site that picks the best survey sites and not the scams and has reviews from actual people. the site is called:

http://www.surveypolice.com/ and this site Darwins data was mentioned lots of people have said it is a great survey site and have been paid on time, so no worries of missed payments and such.

3 Anna T July 27, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Thanks for sharing, Sean! I agree Survey Police is an amazing resource.

4 Sara July 23, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I signed up and it only took a couple of days to get the intro survey. The same day I got my $10 gift card! It asked me where I heard about Darwins Data so I put realways in the box. I hope you get some credit. Thanks for sharing this!

5 Raphael Heard July 26, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Thank you for this wonderful opportunity to earn some Amazon cash with this awesome website. I just completed my intro survey today and they said my $10 gift card will be emailed to me which feels good. How many $25 dollar surveys has anyone else been offered or completed?

6 Karan July 26, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I received the $10 gift card a few days, ago, but haven’t been contacted about other surveys.

7 Charity July 26, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I just did the introductory survey. There was an entire page asking typical security questions, such as childhood best friend, street you grew up on, maternal grandmother’s first name. I was kind of sketched out by it. I don’t know why they need that information.

8 Anna T July 27, 2013 at 11:56 am

I am going through the introductory survey, which I finally received, now. I see the same questions and agree it’s strange. I put “n/a” for my answers and it seems to still be going through.

I am going to email Darwin’s Data and ask them why they need that particular information. If I hear back, I’ll post what they say.

9 Scott July 27, 2013 at 9:40 am

If that information about the survey is correct by Charity, I would highly recommend EVERYONE avoid this site. It appears they are gathering information to hack your other accounts. There is no reason they should be asking those questions that are commonly used for password retrieval on credit card, insurance and other financial institution websites. These definitely appear to be questions being used for identity theft. I highly recommend anyone that provided this information to the company quickly contact any financial institutions they use this for password recovery for and ask if you can change your information. Think about it everyone, if they pay significantly more for surveys (especially an introductory one where they can’t make money off of it), and ask for personal information that can be used to recover a password or login information, they are a scam. Just because they paid you with a code doesn’t mean they aren’t using your information for malicious uses.

10 Josh C December 5, 2013 at 11:14 am

I’m afraid I completely agree. There is NO reason for these questions other than to do bad.

Plus, they push you to rate them right after on survey police AFTER. Everyone says–”Look! They pay! Amazing!”. Something doesn’t add up here…when it’s too good to be true, it usually is. Stay away!

11 Dana July 27, 2013 at 11:13 am

I just got $10 Amazon card yesterday after taking the survey. One page did have weird questions like that. On Amazon, when I got the gift card, there was an option to send a thank you message to The Darwin Group through Amazon, so I did. Now I am wondering if the Amazon gift is a way to find out your Amazon info too? It did seem too good to be true and now I come on here today and read the last post and am a little worried. I can’t remember all of the questions like that but am almost sure I don’t use any answers as passwords for anything.

12 Dana July 27, 2013 at 11:26 am

I am reading reviews again at the survey police site and starting to feel better.

13 Anna T July 27, 2013 at 11:58 am

Yes, the feedback on Survey Police is overwhelmingly good, and it appears they do send out legal surveys on a semi-regular basis. I’m still not sure what to make of those security type questions, though. I have to admit that has me concerned.

For anyone interested, the Survey Police feedback is here – https://www.surveypolice.com/darwin-s-data

14 Vincent July 27, 2013 at 2:32 pm

When I sign up I get brought to a page that has an agreement form. Am I supposed to fill this out and send it to them?

15 Anna T July 27, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Do you mean when you are requesting an invite or when you are filling out the introductory survey?

16 Michelle Brown July 27, 2013 at 6:54 pm

How long did they take to reply to your invite request and what email did they reply from so i can add it to my safe list.

17 Scott July 27, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Think about it everyone, where are they getting the $10 for filling out a survey that has no financial benefit for them and paying hundreds of people to do it? That’s thousands of dollars for a survey that has no financial return to them. The positive reviews are probably because that site has not used the information they gathered yet. When you see these types of sites pop up that pay more than what is usual, ask yourself “why are they paying so much more than the other sites”. If you can’t answer that with a solid response, avoid the site. The comment about about a potential attempt to get amazon.com information from people should be viewed as very risky and dangerous. Anyone that has provided information to this company should watch their financial accounts not just over the coming weeks, but months or years as well. In the past, these scam companies waited for extended periods of time, hoping people would forget whom they provided that information to so they can’t connect the results with the company that did them.

18 samrhett2 July 27, 2013 at 10:39 pm

I wrote and told them that unless they could provide a viable reason that this type of password resetting questions were of value to them or their customers in any way that I was not interested. They really did not answer my question. They just said basically oh, we use that to make sure it is really you answering the surveys.

They may be paying but I hope you don’t end up paying in the end. You should never give out this type of info. I just took a course on social engineering and that is exactly what they warned us about.

Many of you elected to put n/a and still got paid which is great. But surveys are going to continue to ask you little bits of info about yourself until the put the whole package together. If they didn’t get your info straight away, they will just get it over time.

Not worth it to me for a $10 gift card.

19 Beth Morey July 28, 2013 at 12:16 am

I tried to ask for an invitation but the webpage I get just shows “Coming Soon”. I’m using my PC, not a mobile device. Maybe they are deluged by applicants???

20 atlcharm July 28, 2013 at 6:16 am

The shady questions have been removed. I went to the site and it just asks for your name, address, dob (year and month).

21 Kay July 28, 2013 at 6:53 pm

The shady questions are part of the introductory survey you’re given after they accept your registration, not the sign up page.

22 Nicole July 29, 2013 at 3:10 pm

What is the URL?

23 Scott July 31, 2013 at 6:47 am

Their refusal to provide a true answer about those questions should be a red flag folks to avoid signing up with them. I hope those of you that still want to sign up with them don’t end up paying with losses of hundreds times that ten dollars.

When something doesn’t make sense, like how they can pay more than the industry standard for a survey that provides no financial return to them, people should run away from it instead of risking their financial security for a $10 gift card.

24 Anna T July 31, 2013 at 8:30 am

I would say the surveys do provide a financial return to them. If you’ve heard of mock jurors, it’s very similar. There are attorneys that pay companies like this to collect feedback from average people in order to get an idea of how a case might turn out before it ever goes to trial. Seeing as how the survey questions are about legal disputes, that’s probably what is going on here, too.

25 Sakeenah August 1, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I didn’t like the questions either, so I made stuff up and took a screenshot before submitting so I can reference later. Might be better if the company let the survey responders make up their own security questions.

26 Dana August 8, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I just got a trial and got a $25 gift card. During the questions, I was asked the same exact questions about myself that was asked for the $10 survey. I think they just want to make sure it is you that is answering the questions. Plus, I have nothing to worry about. I never use any of those questions as passwords. I don’t think most people would. The questions were “who was your childhood best friend?” “What street did you grow up on?” and “What did you want to be when growing up career wise?” Do a lot of people actually use these questions as password key words? I haven’t thought of these things that were asked of me in ages.