Working at Home for Lionbridge – Non Phone Work

in Non-Phone, Search Engine Evaluation, Worldwide Opportunities

work at home for lionbridgeLionbridge has changed a lot since the last time I wrote about them, so I decided to write some updated information since so many of you are looking for non-phone work at home, and search engine evaluation certainly fits the bill for that. Lionbridge has a lot of different types of opportunities available and they are also open worldwide. These are all independent contractor positions.

What kind of work do you do for Lionbridge?

I used to classify this is just search engine evaluation, but I should probably expand on that a little since there are so many different types of jobs. But search engine evaluation, if you aren’t familiar, is generally comparing search engine search queries to ensure that the results that match up with them are relevant. I’ve never personally worked for Lionbridge, but I have done this kind of work for Leapforce, a similar company. You can read my full breakdown of what a search engine evaluator does here.

Here is the breakdown of some popular home-based jobs Lionbridge has available:

• Multimedia Judge – Determining the relevancy of video and images for search results.
  • Internet Search Administrator – Improve search results by rating keyword and search term combinations.
  • Speller Web Content Assessor – Help determine the best spelling for queries that are entered by users into search engines.
  • Query Understanding Judge – Improve search results by rating keyword and search-term combinations. May include text, video, images, and adverts.
  • Ad Assessor – Comparing user search engine queries and advertiser keywords with website landing pages, judging relevancy.
  • Internet Crowd Worker – Capturing your opinions to ensure the best results possible are achieved and to make a difference to the user experience.
  • Web Content Assessor – Same as other positions above, rating keyword and search term combinations.
  • Internet Assessor – You get the opportunity to express your opinion on the quality and content of the web.
  • Social Media Internet Assessor – Same as above, but with focus on social media.

You can learn more about each position by visiting Lionbridge’s work from home jobs page. Note I have linked to the page for US, but if you go here you can locate your specific country to see what, if anything, they have available for you. You will notice that some of the positions only want people who speak a certain language, so look for that before you apply.

How much does Lionbridge pay?

Lionbridge keeps this information private and their workers must sign a non-disclosure agreement promising to keep pay details private, but I have heard it’s around $13 an hour and up, probably depending on the specific job you’re doing. Some of the positions are hourly pay while there are some others that are pay by the task.

When does Lionbridge pay?

Lionbridge pays once per month. If you get at least 30 hours in for the month, you can expect to get paid by the 10th of each month. If you did not get 30 hours in, you will see your money around the 30th. Unless something has changed, I’m pretty sure they pay with direct deposit to your bank account.

Is it flexible?

Yes. You can work up to 20 hours per week whenever it’s convenient for you — provided they have work available. Keep in mind that sometimes they may not have work, so it could be scary to depend on this alone as your job, just in case.

How does the application process go?

You’ll have to take an exam, complete with study materials for you to look over. They will probably give you around one week to finish it. Then it will take some time for you to get your email saying you’re “in” and start working. So the entire process of applying and then actually starting work at Lionbridge could take a couple of weeks.

What are the requirements?

You need to be fluent in your language and also good at browsing the internet. I do not believe that you have to have a college degree to get hired — many people have gotten in here without one. As far as tech requirements go,  you need a PC with Windows 7 or Vista at minimum. Doesn’t look like they support Macs.

Overall Feedback on Lionbridge

This is an old, established company that has been hiring home-based workers for years. They are absolutely known for paying. The feedback from workers is so/so. Lots of people enjoy the work, but apparently they can be kind of strict when they do reviews on you and some people get suspended or let go without much warning.

If you are a member at Work Place Like Home, I would suggest reading through the Lionbridge sub-forum they have to get some first-hand information.

Would you like to get started?

You can go here to browse the available home-based jobs at Lionbridge.

1 April June 13, 2013 at 10:25 am

Anna, is it 20 hours a week or a month? I ask since in the paragraph above the one where you say 20 hours a week, you say as long as you get in 30 hours a month…20 a week is probably more than I can commit to with all my other work…but I would consider it otherwise

2 Anna Thurman June 13, 2013 at 10:41 am

That confused me, too. But looking at it closer, I think I need to re-word it. The job listing says “up to 20 hours per week” so maybe you can’t work more than that. I did see on the forums where people said the day you are paid depends on whether or not you got in at least 30 hours in the month. So I bet it is more flexible than that. Thanks for pointing that out!

3 Kathy June 13, 2013 at 11:27 am

Hi Anna,

Do you know if Lionbridge does not hire people who worked for other search engine evaluators? I used to work for Workforce Logic and Lionbridge keeps rejecting my applications immediately and does not give me any reason. I’m pretty sure that I am otherwise qualified for most of their jobs.

4 Anna Thurman June 13, 2013 at 11:39 am

This is something I’ve heard before, Kathy, but never been quite sure about. I think I’ve seen some people say that they’ve worked for multiple search engine evaluation companies with no issues and others say they can’t get in since they previously held a similar job with another company. Maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in with some more info.

5 Connceted Isolation June 13, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I work for Lionbridge and so far it has been a positive experience. The schedule is flexible and the pay is good for a work from home type job. Only downside is that is can be a little boring and repetitive.

6 Karena Lewis June 13, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I recently applied to them and was awaiting instructions on the qualification process. They told me in 24-48 hours I should hear back from them, it has now been 6 days and i have not received any word from them as of yet. I wrote back to them because maybe they forgot about me. Has anyone had this issue before?

7 Markato June 13, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Kathy, I’m in the same boat you are. I also worked for Workforce, then found that every time I applied for Lionbridge, I was near automatically rejected.

My contract with Workforce ended nearly a year ago, and I reapplied last fall, so I doubt I’ll ever work for them again.

8 Kathy June 14, 2013 at 9:11 am

Thanks, Markato, for your comment. You would think that they would want experienced assessors, even if their evaluation methods are somewhat different from WFL. I think you hit the nail on the head with the word “automatically”; it feels like their program kicks me out once I answer “yes” to the question about working for other evaluation companies. Or could it be just because I worked for WFL? I wonder if the same thing happens with former Leapforce employees.

9 Markato June 14, 2013 at 11:04 am

I had always heard the rumor that there was some sort of agreement between WFL and Lionbridge, but I’m not sure if it’s actually true. It would be interesting to see input from others who have worked for different companies.

10 Becky June 14, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Hi Anna,

Do you know if Lionbridge hires people from California?

11 Anna Thurman June 14, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I haven’t heard that they don’t, Becky. You should definitely apply and see what happens. Good luck!

12 Bernice Jenkins June 15, 2013 at 10:40 am

The only way to get hired with them if you worked for WFL is to use a totally different email address then what you had at WFL and then also not disclose that you actually worked for them also. The ones who work at both usually started with Lionbridge first and then while working there or after then applied at WFL. It used to be the same way with Leapforce but they don’t enforce it as much anymore. Usually if you have a year or more of not working from WFL and are not there currently they hire. But not always. If you say yes to recently applying to them as well as being a past worker they will deny. Most people now just say they didn’t work for any other search eval companies and remove it from their resume. Since you were an independent contractor there is no way for them to verify employment since you were never employed. You were contracted. Some people have an issue about doing this others do not. So it would be a decision you would have to make and be able to live with.

13 kathy June 15, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Thanks, Bernice, that’s very interesting and helpful information. As far as being an independent contractor goes, WFL hires its evaluators as employees, so I don’t know how easy it would be to deny working there. But thanks for your insight – I see now that I was going about it the wrong way, since I was making a point of emphasizing my assessing experience rather than downplaying it. Do you know if Butler Hill has the same policy?

14 Brette June 16, 2013 at 11:23 am

That’s not true, though. I did 2 years with WFL and went almost straight from there to working for Lionbridge. Not only did I use the same email address but my WFL experience is on my resume. It’s obviously up to the person whether or not they want to disclose but it’s not reasons for an automatic denial.

15 Kathy June 17, 2013 at 9:33 am

Thanks, Brette. Did you do this switch fairly recently? I noticed that Anna said Lionbridge has changed a lot.

16 Brette June 17, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Actually Kathy, my switch wasn’t recent at all. I’ve been with them for 5 years. However, a couple of months ago, LB asked me for referrals. I gave referrals to several people and 3 of them were hired. One of them used to work for WFL and she decided to include that fact on her resume.

There are plenty of people who’ve applied and never heard back from LB and they’ve never worked for WFL. So just because you have worked for WFL and haven’t heard anything back doesn’t necessarily mean that is the reason.

17 Peter June 16, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Hi Madam Anna,

I’d like to ask, Can i work both two companies? I was working ABH (Appen butler hill) right now and I would like to try working also in Lionbridge? is there any consequence for that?

18 Anna Thurman June 17, 2013 at 6:10 am

I’m not sure, Peter. But you could try applying and see what happens.

19 Heather June 20, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I received a response immediately after I applied and submitted my resume. However, the communication is lacking a bit. The qualification process is not easy. They require you to read a vast amount of data that is disorganized. It would be helpful if a talented technical writer could correct that situation for Lionbridge. Also, they communicate via European time zoning so the responses are not timely and the webinars are offered BST.

Additionally, they give you a limited period to complete everything. You will spend a full week tackling the information, the practice data (200 queries completed), and final exam (must pre-qualify to take exam).

They do offer some bonus incentives. Presently, the company is offering a $150.00 bonus if you work 70hrs in four weeks. They also offer a $150.00 bonus for passing the exam. But the training is many hours that you are not paid for. In addition, the work is not paid by the hour but by the tasks that you complete. This could alter your pay rate.

In addition to that, Lionbridge offers different positions, and the one that I applied for was the web content assessor. It basically entails search engine queries and the desired landing page result. Some queries do take you to horrific results (inappropriate), and they can expose your computer to viruses, trojans, and other nasty things. My short-term memory is still suffering from a heinous image that I viewed, which I quickly labeled as detrimental. Plus, I find the rationale for many of the practice data queries to be inefficient thus incorrect. I did appeal about half of them. So be forewarned that you may find frustration in agreeing with the web content assessing (subjective) opinions that they present as a correct response. I know I have! Overall, I am not sure this is the correct position for me because I found many of the query results they offered to be illogical. There is much to be said about subjectivity.

I will let you know if I make the cut. Right now, I have completed a little less than 100 queries in the practice area. However, I do not have any more queries available to me; thus, I am uncertain how I will be able to satisfy the 200 query requirement. Again, there is a disconnect within the company in providing accurate assistance and data to succeed. Whelp, I hope this post helps others that are considering applying.

20 Anna T June 20, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Thanks so much, Heather. I’m sure it will help! I appreciate all the information you shared.

21 Brette June 22, 2013 at 11:19 am

Heather, your post had some good insight in it. Fortunately not everyone will run into the issues that you experienced. As many of us have discovered, there are many variables from one position to another with LB and sometimes even two people working the same position have different experiences.

I know you were speaking from the experience of applying to be a web content assessor and it seems that none of their positions are handled exactly the same way. For example, all of my webinars and communications are PST, so responses are usually very timely. Not all positions receive a bonus for passing training, nor a bonus for working 70 hours in a week. Most of the positions are paid by the hour, not by the task and most people seem to think the hourly rate is quite fair. I’ve seen a few people who were downright giddy about it.

Rating, in general, can be very subjective but after you’ve worked there for awhile, you come to understand the way they see things and you’re able to conform to their way of thinking. Soon it becomes second nature. Also, once hired, they usually ask you if you’re ok viewing adult subject matter or wish to opt out.

Anyway, they have a lot of different positions and if what you’ve seen while training turns you off to that one, I would suggest applying for another. I’ve seen people do it and were happy that they did. Good luck.

22 Anna T June 22, 2013 at 11:46 am

Thank you very much for the additional insight, Brette.

23 Heather June 22, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Hi Brette!

Thank you for the feedback. At this point, I am assuming that I am no longer a candidate. I received zero response when I requested more practice queries, which they stated I must complete (hard to do when they do not exist). Anyhow, I do not like that LB failed to respond on any level. It is a poor business tactic to ignore potential workers or business contacts especially when they are corresponding in a professional manner.

Therefore, I am not certain applying for a different position is the best choice for me. The first impression is an important one, and I have discontent with LB failing to maintain a professional relationship. Although it sounds as if other folks do like his or her employment with LB, I feel a little jilted.

Perhaps, I am not suited for the work. Things can and often do happen for a reason. With that said, I continue to focus on other opportunities, and I look at every experience as a learning moment. Life can teach a person a lot :)

Thank you again, Brette, I appreciate your post.

24 Brette June 23, 2013 at 8:15 am

You’re welcome, Anna.

Heather, I’m sorry things aren’t going so smoothly. It’s amazing to see how different people can get such different results from the same company. I know you said rating may not be for you but have you tried applying for the other places, like BH, WFL and LF? You might have a better experience with one of those. It’s been years since I’ve worked for WFL so I can’t comment on what they’re like now but I didn’t have any issues, back then.

25 Michelle June 30, 2013 at 12:45 am

I did my test last week and failed twice after about a month and a half of studying the materials.I did not like it at all,the experience was mind crushing and i felt many of the answer i got wrong were in fact correct.

26 RonD August 6, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Just submitted my application. Wish me luck! ^_^

27 Anna T August 6, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Good luck, Ron!

28 Usernameismyusername September 18, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I’ve been working since the beginning of September as an Internet Crowd Worker and so far all I can say about is, “meh”. Of all the different jobs listed in this article, I have the option to do all of them, at different prices per task, if I study hard for them and then pass the qualification test. I don’t get paid an hourly rate, I get paid per task, many of them being 2 cents each, and it can take around 30 seconds or more to complete each task. You do the math, and don’t forget you have to hold taxes out on that yourself. I think my time is more valuable then what I am averaging out per hour with Lionbridge, almost slave labor wages. I can get more money working at Textbroker, and for people that know about Textbroker, you really don’t get much money there.

The work is more stressful then I thought it was going to be, and there is a lot of studying you have to do for each task that you do not get paid for, and frankly the study material is very time consuming and can be somewhat vague so that when you go to take the qualification exam for that particular task, you are not always going to pass. Another thing that really bugs me is that there is no feedback if you get something wrong, you are just kicked off a task saying that you can’t judge it anymore. If they gave feedback saying something like, “that wasn’t correct, this is what we are looking for in answers for this task…”, that would go a long way with helping people improve, work more quickly, and boost general moral. When you are told you’re doing something wrong but not told WHY it is wrong, or WHICH ones you did wrong, what’s the point?

Another thing I have noticed from researching other peoples experience working with Lionbridge, a lot of the tasks I do are exactly what ones are doing that were hired on a hourly wage. So I’m basically doing the same work as hourly workers, but at a very drastic pay difference. I wonder if that is the future of Lionbridge, to hire people as Internet Crowd Workers doing the same tasks as former hourly pay employees, but at a deep discount to them.

IDK, I’m not really impressed with this job, I don’t think it is for me. I will continue to do it for now, but I don’t see this lasting until the end of the year.

29 Hilda October 25, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Hi! I have recently been “hired” by Lionbridge as a Webcontent Assessor for the Austrian Market. As many people have stated it was very difficult to get in – a lot of study material to go through in your free time, a lot of “trial tasks” and their explanations as to why a homepage is to be rated in a certain way are not always logical. The thing that was most difficult is probably the fact that they supply you with the guidelines and everything in english language, but there is not an equivalent for everything in Austria. Anyhow – while I was training for the last exam, which I passed on the 2nd try, speed was never a matter. But as soon I was supplied with live data, I got warnings that I was too slow – apparently I should have been rating around 100 Pages per hour! So after a few hours I got dismissed from the task and now I am asked to requalify. As you can imagine I am rather annoyed at this and I can’t imagine I will ever be able to get up to that speed! Does anybody have similar experiences??

30 dany February 23, 2014 at 5:00 am

Hi everyone.

Would be glad to know if there are search engine evaluation site that accept non-US residents ?

Thanks

31 Debjyoti March 9, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Sites like Lionbridge, Leapforce and Appen hires non-US residents to work as an independent contractor.

32 kranthi March 14, 2014 at 11:09 am

hi anna, i have a small query how much does lionbridge pay for an internet assessor and how much time should we work

33 Leann April 13, 2014 at 11:05 pm

I applied to Lionbridge last month and have not heard anything back. I am frustrated and need to work from home. I have a disability, but in the eyes of the government, I am able to work a normal job. I would appreciate any contact back from the company. I am wondering if anyone else has been waiting as I have?