Phone Work From Home For Nex Rep

in Customer Service, Phone Jobs, Sales

phone work from home for nex repNex Rep, sometimes also referred to as Stewart Response Group,  is a company hiring virtual agents to work from home, taking and making calls. This one tends to get a lot of buzz on the forums, so I did some digging today to find out what I could since this company appears to almost always be hiring. There is surprisingly a lot of positive feedback on this company even though there is an upfront cost required when you get started. More on that below.

Positions Available

Nex Rep hires home agents for a variety of different positions depending on the needs of their clients. Some campaigns require you to take inbound calls while others are outbound. I’ve also read a lot about sales work where you read from a script and have to do some upselling. The sales calls are not just outbound — some of them are also inbound.

If you do not want to do sales, you can ask when you apply if they have anything non-sales related available because they may at different times. I have read that recently there has been a receptionist position available you can do that does not involve sales.

Nex Rep Pay

Your pay will vary depending on the campaign you’re doing. With the sales positions, inbound calls are apparently commission only or based off of how many minutes you talk while the outbound is a base amount of $5 an hour plus commission. The receptionist position I read about pays .25 cents per minute of talk time, and on that one you are basically scheduling hair appointments and answering questions about the services offered. I am not sure if Nex Rep is still hiring for that particular position, but you can always ask about it when (if) you apply or see if they have another like it.

You get paid every two weeks and options available or mailed check or direct deposit. No taxes are taken out of your pay because you are working as an independent contractor.

Equipment Needed

Nex Rep does not require a land line phone. All you need is a headset and high speed internet. They also recommend a printer so that you can print out the pages of the manual they email to you, but lots of people on the forums say they never bothered to print out the manual and just referred to it on their computers if they needed to.

The thing that I honestly don’t get and that may be a deal breaker for many of you is that for the sales positions, Nex Rep requires you to purchase your manual from them. Apparently the receptionist position doesn’t require you purchase a manual. The manual for the sales positions contains a lot of the scripts you will be using and actually they email it to you rather than mail it via postal mail. As stated above, they also recommend you print it out, but you don’t have to do this.

The cost of the manual depends on the position. Some people say they were asked to pay $25 and others say it was $50 for them. I guess I could possibly understand a small fee for the manual if it were an actual book that they mail to you, but no, it just comes via email and they even want you to print it off using your own printer and ink. I just don’t get this at all, and if it were not for the fact that most people who work for Nex Rep sing their praises, I probably would not even mention them here because fees for stuff like that often raise big red scam flags for me.

The people who have paid for the manual say it is no big deal because you make back what you spent pretty quickly. Oh well. It would still bug me to do it because honestly, how much does it cost them to email a manual? If anyone can provide me with a valid reason for this charge, please do. I’d love to understand it, but I just don’t.

Nex Rep will also try to get you to purchase a headset from them if you don’t already have one, but you don’t have to do that. They charge something like $50 for their headset and you can definitely find one that will work at around $20 or maybe less on Amazon if you look.

Training

You have to attend training if you’re hired, and it’s all done online. I’ve read some contradictory things about training. One person said it isn’t paid while another said the first week of training isn’t paid, but the second week is because you’re taking calls and actually sort of working during the second week. Maybe it depends on the position you’re hired for.

Scheduling

Nex Rep does apparently have some pretty flexible scheduling available. They require a minimum of 15 hours per week, but they are open 24/7 so you can schedule yourself for whatever time works best for you. If you’re doing the sales work, some people say that nights and weekends are some of the best for making the most money. I think the receptionist position might have more set hours, so that one may not be quite as flexible.

Feedback

As I mentioned above, the feedback on Nex Rep is pretty good. I’ve scoured the forums and most of their workers seem really happy with the job and claim to be making decent money. But then some didn’t like it and said they didn’t make much at all. If you’re interested in the sales positions and you are good at upselling, you might do well there. If sales aren’t for you, then after you apply you may be able to ask them what they have available that’s non sales. The receptionist position I’ve mentioned above may or may not be open right now, but you could always inquire if they have anything like it.

Another thing I wanted to note is that most of their workers seem satisfied with the training process and the amount of help they receive from upper management.

If you want to read the various feedback for yourself, here are some links to use:

• WAHM – This is the search page displaying lots of results where people are discussing Nex Rep.
  • Work Place Like Home Nex Rep forum – Work Place Like Home has it’s own mini-forum for this company. You will have to register as a member here to view the forum.

Want to apply?

Go here for details on getting started. Good luck if you decide to do it. Please share below if you have experience with this company.

1 Sandra June 19, 2013 at 2:42 pm

For the receptionist job, the hours are still flexible although you do have to create a schedule for yourself – YOU choose the hours. However, appointments are only booked up until midnight EST, meaning that you can’t work overnight; you have to choose hours between 8am – midnight. You take calls for The DryBar, which has salons located all over the US. How much you make really depends on which hours you work. Since pay is .25 per talk time, you want to schedule yourself during the busy hours which are usually afternoon and evenings. You have the potential to make between $11-$13 an hour.

2 Anna T June 19, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Thanks for the input, Sandra!

3 sandra July 1, 2013 at 3:48 pm

LOL, I’m going to have to add onto my first post above! I first thought that NexRep would be a great place to work for. I applied, paid my $25 for training, and I then got schedule to start training on May 28. The training was from May 28-June 4. I started my training on the 28th as scheduled but due to gall bladder issues and me not having any amniotic fluid left (I was pregnant), I had to have an emergency c-section on June 3rd. I notified Erica and let her know what was going on. She told me to contact her as soon as I wanted to start working, etc. I then sent her an email once I got back home and I let her know that I was recovering, but would be ready in a few days. She never responded to me. I contacted one of the supervisors and asked her to let Erica know I’ve been trying to complete my training, etc – no reply. So I then email one of the other managers that does hiring and I explain the situation.

I finally got a message from Erica after that, apologizing and stating that she did not forget about me and that she could set me up to do test calls the next day. I replied and said that was fine but that she didn’t give me a time. Well, two days went by and still, no reply with a time. I then emailed her again. This time I get a day and time to do the test calls. I did my test calls and was then told to email Erica and she would tell me what to do next. I emailed her and asked her what to do next and got no reply.

This has all been dragging out for 3 1/2 weeks now. I feel that this is unprofessional. While I was sitting here waiting to finish up, other girls were getting hired and starting. I have no idea why I was singled out and treated so unprofessionally. I would have much rather received an email stating “We’re sorry, all positions are filled” than getting the run-around which turned out to keep my hopes up, and ending unproductively. I’m more than disappointed. I counted on this job. I’m a single mother with 4 kids and have bills that need to be paid. The whole run-around that I received caused me to waste an unnecessary amount of time which i could have spent pursuing something else. :(

4 Anna T July 1, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I’m sorry, Sandra. Sounds very disorganized! I also hate when situations are like that … continually emailing and either getting no response or late responses about important things. I’m sorry about your health issues and sincerely hope that you hear from them soon. If you don’t, there are a lot of other options if phone work is what you’re looking for. Some other good companies that people talk about having positive experiences with (just right off the top of my head) are Direct Interactions and the Active Network, although Active Network does not pay well, the work is really easy and apparently steady.

5 Sandra B. August 26, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Hi Anna!

It was disorganized but it was only that particular project. I’ve switched to outbound television sales and it’s very different – very organized and professional! :-)

6 Sandra August 15, 2013 at 11:49 pm

I hate and I mean hate working for Nex Rep, but I need the money. Andrew who writes the scripts has a horrible attitude. I started to tell him to quit damn emailing me about those scripts last time he sent me an email. I put him in my spam mail as I do not need the stress. I am not going to force people to buy crap they do not want. I don’t know why they don’t care more about the main product that people are calling in about versus those darn clubs. I have had people curse me out so many times and one lady who probably stuck the phone as close to her vocal chords as she could get it yelling that she does not want that other stuff. Although in the end they all said they understood I was doing my job, but they just didn’t want the club offers. Nex Rep really pushes you to sell this crap. I have really good luck upselling to their most expensive packages but those clubs ruin it every time. My first pay check was the saddest one I had ever seen. As soon as a new opportunity comes I am quitting. If the only script I had to read was Hampshire Labs I would be so happy, but those others ones where you are trying to sell 4 additional clubs suck. I have an anxiety attack everytime I have to do a sale for those.

7 Sandra B. August 26, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Then why don’t you just quit if you don’t like selling the clubs? You do earn commission for the clubs so I don’t get what you are complaining about. And if you hate your job, there is no way you can do it efficiently! I like Andrew; he’s actually pretty helpful. If you adjusted your attitude slightly, you just may do a bit better. Having a negative will turn you into a poor salesman.

I do outbound and I like it. I dislike the clubs myself but they are part of the job and give me the opportunity to make more money.

8 Vincent November 18, 2013 at 7:54 pm

This company’s recruiting practices are questionable. I applied a day or two ago and received an email stating I was not going to be moved forward. I have several years of customer service experience, especially working from home. So, I’m not sure why I was denied. Unless, of course, they don’t want males working on their programs.

9 Kristi December 9, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I applied to work for next rep on Friday night and they had emailed me today to set up a phone assessment. I think I applied for the outbound catalog section because they said they were hiring right away. I have many years in customer service, working as a virtual assistant and being a manager in retail. I’m happy to hear all the positive comments about the company and I hope to get on board with the company.

10 Brooklyn Weisner March 14, 2014 at 9:56 am

With respect to the $25 for “sales materials” that NexRep charges new hires (and the reviewer complained that all it was is emailed scripts) – as far as I and a couple of friends of mine who worked for NexRep have been able to determine, the money is actually used for a background check. One individual on the workplacelikehome board says they were told that, the rest of us were given the “sales material” claim (and I still have the email that says that).

In my original training group, there was a woman who was terminated the first week because she supposedly failed a background check – and yet, they hadn’t told any of us a background check was going to be done.

My guess is that this is a lie that NexRep tells potential candidates because a lot of people (including me) don’t apply to companies that charge them for a background check. I have nothing in my background to be worried about, I just don’t feel like putting out the money for that purpose and I bypass companies and jobs that want me to pay for one.

Take this as a hint as to what working for NexRep will be like, at least on the inbound side where I worked. Almost all of the scripts that we were required to read stretched the truth, and the whole selling technique is really based on misleading advertising and confusing wording, so when you say “OK?” the customer thinks they are agreeing to something simple (like taking down a customer service number), when really they are agreeing to getting an autoship.

Very sad, felt quite sleazy to work there. Add to this the fact that at least 3/4 of the customers are really old (seventies, eighties, even nineties), clearly have hearing problems, are often quite sick, and regularly apparently mental acuity problems – and it’s not a pretty picture. imho what NexRep inbound is really doing is deceiving and ripping off old people. And the clubs are just bizarre – totally inappropriate in a context where what is allegedly being sold is natural products.