Work at Home Taking Calls for Sitel

in Customer Service, Phone Jobs

work at home for sitelSitel is a work at home call center position where you are considered an employee rather than an independent contractor. This company offers some nice benefits once you have worked for them for 90 days. Also, the calling is all inbound, so this is a plus if you are someone who is not a fan of outbound calling. Sitel has been in business for 26 years and they provide customer service for many well-known brands.

How much does Sitel pay?

Sitel does not list the rate of pay on their website. The only thing the website says about the rate of pay is that it will vary depending on the skill set needed for each client. However, I have searched the work at home forums and some say it starts at around $9 to $9.25 hourly. The company does offer raises at various intervals during your employment and you are paid by the hour instead of per call.

When does Sitel pay?

Sitel will pay you bi-weekly either through direct deposit or with a pay card.

Where does Sitel hire?

Sitel does not hire in every US state, but fortunately it isn’t too limited. Sitel hires in the US only for work at home positions in the following states: Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

Who is qualified?

It is preferred that you have previous customer service experience or sales experience, but those things are not requirements. Your chances of getting hired are probably better if you have past experience in customer service/sales.

I should mention here that one of my readers went through most of the application process — about two hours worth of time spent — only to get a “we’re not interested” email afterward. So just be mindful that the application is fairly time consuming and even if you make it as far as the voice audition, that’s no guarantee you’ll make it in.

What are the tech requirements?

• A computer (configuration requirements listed on website) – No Macintosh
  • High speed internet (DSL or Cable)
  • Home office free from noise, distractions and interruptions during your shift
  • Telephone – analog or digital land line (strictly for work use during your shift)

What are the benefits?

After you have worked for Sitel for 90 days, you may qualify for medical, dental, 401K, vacation/holiday pay, employee discounts with some of Sitel’s clients.

How is scheduling?

This isn’t a super flexible job. Your schedule will depend on the client you are working for. According to Sitel, there are part-time and full-time opportunities available.

Training Info

You will have to go through three to six weeks of training before you officially start working for Sitel, but you will be paid hourly for your time spent in training. Sitel does not bend very much when it comes to training. You will have to show up for every session. Not doing so could result in your being dropped from the project.

More Information

You will find a ton of info here in Sitel’s FAQ. This should answer most of your other questions.

Feedback on Sitel

Many people who have gone through training, interviews, etc. and are actually working for Sitel from home seem happy with the position. I’ve read some good things on the forums. However, I have also seen complaints from people who are in the midst of the training/interview process. This can apparently be sort of sluggish sometimes. Someone reported all but being hired but then never hearing back from the company after that point. Another person said that training was taking a long time to complete. But apparently once you’re up and running and actually doing the job, it’s not all that bad. The hours can be long and you aren’t really allowed to get up other than during lunch, etc.

I would recommend doing a search on Sitel at WAHM and also Work Place Like Home. You’ll find several threads where people are discussing the company.

Want to apply?

Go here to start the application process with Sitel. Please comment below if you have any experience with this company that you would like to share.

1 theresa March 21, 2013 at 11:52 am

I have applied with this company so many times never hear anything back from them I do have the qualifications that they require plus more why do they not respond after ward?

2 Heather April 2, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Check your spam file in email service used to apply. That’s where mine was so that I could complete the assessments.

3 Kay Lewis June 22, 2014 at 4:56 am

I have also applied with this company – I have all the qualifications and more. I, too, get the letter that I won’t be moving forward with the company… I’m baffled.

4 Danielle April 17, 2013 at 6:19 am

I applied the other day and finished my assessment and did the voice audition the lady said I would receive and email in 24 hrs I never received on what do I do reapply are can I call are email someone

5 bradley August 6, 2013 at 12:55 am

What are the hours for training? I was looking for a part-time work at home solution as I work 3-10 at a call center.

6 demij September 24, 2013 at 8:00 am

I’ve been with the work from home program taking roadside assistance calls for nearly 10 months. The things I like: We started off at a shameful $9.00/hr, You will get regular increases over 6 months until you hit 10.50. 2) I have health and dental insurance 3)They are less careless than the 2 other WAH call centers I’ve worked for. they do try to be professional. Doesn’t always work out, but I appreciate the effort. 4)They send you a computer, phone, headset, and keyboard at no cost to you and they support/replace when there is a problem. This was huge for me, because tech support at the last 2 companies have really messed my personal computers up – and they take no responsibility. 5) Calls are generally quick, and you will rarely need a supervisor once you get the hang of it.
What I dont like: After 6 weeks of training I had no clue how to operate the dispatch software because they dont have a training version. 2) They will tell you that many things cant be taught in training as an excuse for missing the opportunity to educate us on certain best practices. 3) Supervisors are hard to find when its time for them to take a call – and often, they won’t do it. 4) When the system goes down, unexpectedly, it will be the worst day of your life. Customers will wait 2,3,4,5 hours for roadside assistance and there will be nothing you can do about it – and nothing you can give them to make up for it. 5) The better health insurance pkg isn’t an option for agents until you’ve been there for 3+ years. I think if you’re willing to pay for it, you should be able to choose but no. not here. 6) This is the worst for me – They are very evasive about schedules during training. You will train at regular business hours. When you get to on floor training, the hours may be slightly later. You wont know your regular hours until about a week before you’re finished with on floor training. Then, you’ll have to compete to keep your shift if you’d like to keep it. They do a shift bid every 3 times a year, and if you’re not a top performer, you will lose your shift and be moved to difficult hours like 4-midnight or 5pm-1am. You’ll be asked to go part time or quit if you can’t deal. Of course, none of this is mentioned during training or interviews. There is never any mention of you losing your schedule. This is why turnover is high. Otherwise, I think more people would stay because it isnt as stressful as other types of call center work. They are willing to work with school schedules and in rare cases will make an exception for home life issues but it only lasts until the next bid. Its very disruptive and difficult for employees to adapt to.

7 Courtney October 1, 2013 at 6:04 am

I applied to Sitel about two months ago, did an assessment, then had two interviews. On my last interview, someone told me that my interview results would be sent to HR, and they would let me know from there. I guess I did not get the job, because it has been over a week, and they still have yet to contact me by phone or email letting me know about my status. They could at least have the decency to let applicants know after an interview on whether or not they got the job, or at least inform on whether or not they are pursuing other candidates that better match the qualities that they are looking for.

I don’t think that is too much to ask. If Sitel interviews someone two or three times, at least let them know something so that they are not waiting by the telephone and constantly checking their email. People do not have time to wait for a company to get back with them when they say they will, when in reality, they have no intention to. Sitel in my opionion, just from my opionion, is very unprofessional and disrespectful.

8 Jennifer October 4, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I just had an interview today. I was called 15 minutes late, so I ended up going on with my night. When I got home from grocery shopping, my mom told me someone had called from for an interview and they would call back in 10 minutes, which they did. The interview lasted about 10 minutes and was very easy. First, I was asked to go to http://www.speedtest.net and was told more about what the company, does while waiting for the results. After the results of my speed test, I was then asked a few questions such as: “why do you want to work for Sitel?”, “tell me about a time you had a difficult customer interaction?”, and “do you have any restrictions?” I have a 6 year old son that can only be in day care from 8a-5p mon-fri so I asked if they would consider me for shifts between 7am and 5pm MST, and was told that should not be a problem. Last, but not least, the interviewer instructed me to go the site, sitel.com and tell her who the President and CEO of Sitel is. After that, I was told I was being moved forward and would receive an invite for a second interview within 24 hours to learn about the current project(s) offerings.

I’ll update once that happens!

9 Naomi October 12, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I am so happy to have finally heard back from them. I had pretty much counted it as a waste of time having done the application and testing after checking my email everyday for about 2 weeks. I got email from them today saying that I passed the skills and appitude tests, and that I could follow a link to get scheduled for an interview, but my computer doesn’t meet the upload speed requirements, which I actually think they probably have listed wrong, but there is no way to get around that.

They require min download speed of 1.5mbps, and min upload speed of 1.5mbps. I use the Clear network and they only give me 100mbps. I do a lot of both up and down loading of files on a daily basis, and my up and download speeds are fine. I’ve also noticed that none of the other telecommute positions require THAT high an upload speed. Most of them require that you can upload in the 0.5mbps area. (thats why I’m thinking its probably a typo).

I Can’t schedule an interview because of my supposed lack of internet upload speed, but it still feels to good to know that I was able to pass their very intense appitude testing!

Thanks, Anna!

10 Jennifer November 18, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Sorry for the late update. I did have my interview a few days after my post above. I was told this was for the Toys R Us Project. The recruiter told me they do send a computer out . I was asked a few questions about past employment and what my availability would be. I told the recruiter I have a young son and would only be available between 6 am and 5:00 pm. She snarled at me and stated most agents need to have a least 2 shift availability. The next day, I received an email stating I was not selected for this position. I have to believe it was because of my inflexibility with the shifts.

11 Samantha May 8, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Hi All, I have a 2nd interview with Sitel tomorrow and was looking for more information on this interview and what to expect. The first one was a general sitel interview and this one is for the roadside assistance project.
Any information will be great. Thanks in Advance.

12 Romelda May 20, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Hello,
I took the assessment test online and I am still waiting. Does anyone know how to get a phone call to them to check the status of an application?

13 Aly July 10, 2014 at 12:56 am

Hello! I just wanted to let you know that I went through the interview process with Sitel and I was able to land the job! I am so excited about working with this company!! Thank you for having such an informative site. I have been looking for a good WAH job for months and I’ve been visiting your site and applying for WAH jobs that you list everyday! The hard work has definitely payed off and thank you again so much for your informative info on your site.

14 Anna T July 10, 2014 at 8:35 am

Congratulations, Aly! I’m so glad you find my site useful!

15 Eboni August 2, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Hi! I have applied for Sitel and I did get an email inviting me to an interview. The issue is that when I click on the link, the calendar for August and September shows up, but no times listed. Was that the issue with you? Why would I get an email saying to schedule an interview, but no spots are open? How long did it take for you to get hired?

16 Carolyn August 3, 2014 at 9:20 am

@Eboni
I received the same email. All spots were taken. Then a few days later I received another email for a position and when I went to the calendar, they had an opening on the same day. So hang in there, I believe when they want to interview you for a position, it will show open times.

17 Eboni August 5, 2014 at 9:14 pm

@Carolyn… That’s exactly what happened! I went to the calendar, scheduled the interview for tomorrow morning. I can’t wait to see what that is like. By the way, how did the interview go?

18 Carolyn August 6, 2014 at 3:20 pm

It went fine and I got the job. But training was going to start the 18th and they put it off two weeks so doesn’t start now till Sept. 2. Let me know how your interview went. Are/did you interview for the Macy’s customer service? It’s mainly going to different websites and giving answers to questions about the website and then general interview questions like “What would you do if customer was really upset because a friend had bought the same thing as her and the friend got it cheaper?”

19 Eboni August 6, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Hi Carolyn! I’ve just completed the interview and I got the job. My new hire orientation will be on August 19 and I start training on August 25. The campaign that I will be working on is Toys R US. It is full time and they will provide the computer and headset which is cool. All I have to do is provide the computer screen and I have that already so I am good with that. Let’s see what happens and congrats by the way!

20 Krystal August 17, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Hi Eboni, I have a new hire orientation on August 19th as well and I start training on August 25th. I am not doing the Toys R Us campaign tho. I am doing tech support for Direct TV (I think). I will be working part-time but training is full time. My schedule will be 7am to 1:30pm.

21 Carolyn August 7, 2014 at 11:52 am

@Eboni
CONGRATULATIONS!! Good luck
I’m glad I didn’t get Toys R US! I know nothing about toys anymore. LOL All my kids are grown. Also, I didn’t want full time. I will be part-time but it’s mostly mornings and I would prefer evenings. I’m hoping maybe after a few months I can change to evenings.

22 Elian August 8, 2014 at 1:44 am

Hi, I have just completed the long assessment, typing test and the voice audition. So, I will just have to wait for any news. I am bilingual and I did not see any requirement for that. I also have an 8 year old daughter and would like to work from 9 to 3 or from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. I am not sure if this schedule would fit their needs.

23 Carolyn August 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm

@Elian
It will depend on what position you are interviewed for. The one I am going to work for is Macy’s part-time and you have to be available to work from 8 am to 3 pm. When they send you an interview request for a certain position, they will have the hours required and either you can accept or not.

24 Eboni August 8, 2014 at 6:12 pm

@Carolyn… That is what I wanted but I will take what I can for now. I just found out that the “full time” position with Toys R Us is temporary until like January. If I do well, then it will be permanent. Am I the only one offered a temporary position?

25 Carolyn August 9, 2014 at 10:18 am

I’m not sure. They may only hire temporary full-time through the holidays. They have a lot of different clients, so if you do well once the position with Toys R Us is up, you can probably transfer to another client, if you don’t get hired full time with Toys R Us. I’m retired, so I only want part-time. I bought a house about 4 months ago and want so many things! LOL I don’t know if Macy’s is just through the holidays or not. Guess I will learn all of that once we have orientation.

26 Melly August 18, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Carolyn,

This is temp till January and then some will be invited to stay on full time but they need more people for the Holidays right now. I go for my drug test tomorrow and submitted the credit/background check but we have so much debt so I’m not sure how well that’s going to go over!

27 Conway August 11, 2014 at 1:51 am

I am offered the interview for Toys R Us campaign/full time. I interview tomorrow at 5pm cst. I will keep you posted~

28 Elian August 12, 2014 at 10:54 pm

@Carolyn, you got a suitable schedule for me. Today I received an email to schedule an interview . It is a full time job for AON campaign. No time offs during training and at least for the first 3 months of work. Availability should be from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CST. I will keep post how my interview went through..

29 angel August 13, 2014 at 11:15 pm

hello i received and email to schedule an interview. but, at the end of the email there is a link that says 2nd part of questionnaire. when i opened it it looked like something sitel would fill out? anyone know what i am talking about lol?

30 Carolyn August 13, 2014 at 11:42 pm

@Elian
Good Luck! All the training is like that, if you miss any time the let you go. Or so I have read.

31 Carolyn August 14, 2014 at 9:00 am

@angel

If it is for an interview, there should be a link in the middle of the email for you to click. I don’t know why the link at the bottom to fill out a questionnaire is there, but that’s not what you need to click on. It does come up with something funky.

32 Elian August 14, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I received a contingent offer letter which I already signed and today I went to do the drug test.

33 Sandy August 17, 2014 at 12:07 am

@Eboni can you tell me what type of interview questions was asked for the toy r us campaign? I have an interview Monday for the same position. Thanks!

34 Melly August 18, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Hi Sandy. By now you probably already have gotten “hired”, of course they do the drug/credit check before it’s official. I was hired this morning but we have so much debt that I’m not sure how well that’ll go over.

35 Eboni August 22, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Hi,

Basically it was just questions asking about my work experience and if I was able to attend training. The interview wasn’t very long and I was basically hired on the spot. Let us know how everything went.

36 Melly August 17, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I have an interview tomorrow for the Toys R US campaign. My e-mail said that the training begins 8/26, which I found odd since a lot of you that were hired said 8/25 you were starting. I’ll keep everyone posted and let you all know what questions were asked so I can help someone else through this. I signed up for Full time as well but am hearing from a few of you that this is a temp assignment. That’s fine with me. So glad I found this site! I would REALLY love to get in on one of the live chat campaigns. I noticed Toys R US has live chat. I wonder who they use. Is it Sitel? Does anyone know?

37 Carolyn August 18, 2014 at 5:37 pm

@Melly
If it’s like other places I’ve worked for, you will end up doing both phone calls and chat. If you aren’t on a call and someone wants to chat, they’ll put it through just like a call. You just have to keep an eye on the chat box. Sounds like they are hiring a lot for Toys R Us. I’m going to work for Macy’s, we were suppose to start training on the 25, but they pushed it out to Sept. 2.

Good Luck

38 Carolyn August 22, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Has anyone else been hired for Macy’s? They put off the training for 2 weeks and said orientation would be the 25th, time to be determined. I have not heard anything since and just wondering if anyone else has. Since I would think they would have sent the time by now.

39 Eboni August 22, 2014 at 9:01 pm

HI,

Sorry for the delayed response. Well I had the orientation for Toys R US on 8/18 and was informed that the full time position is infact permanent, it’s just the Toys R US project is temporary since the holiday season is approaching. Once that campaign is over in January, we will then be moved to another campaign. The equipment is pretty easy and simple to set up. Make sure that is done before your training. And don’t forget to keep your box because when you decide to leave, you must return the equipment. The I-9 process was pretty tidious but I got through it. My first day of training is on 8/25 and can’t complain because I have the hours that I want. It helps that I work during the daytime because my kids will be in school, so no distractions. Good luck to everyone and I will keep you all posted!