paid-to-shop-with-ibottaSeveral days ago I posted about the Ibotta app — an app that pays you back for the money you spend at the grocery store. I’ve been a big fan of the app because not only is the cash out threshold very low (just $5) making it very easy to get paid often, but Ibotta also sends you your money instantly after it’s showing in your account and you request it. I’ve cashed out a few times now and the money was transferred to Paypal right away! So of course that got me thinking, are there any other apps like Ibotta? I did some checking around and actually found a few that are similar and pretty good:

Checkout 51

The main difference between Ibotta and Checkout 51 is that you can use Checkout 51 at ANY store (even online). Also, Checkout 51 can be web-based whereas with Ibotta you must use the app. However, Checkout 51 won’t let you redeem your earnings until you’ve hit $20 and there is no Paypal option. You have to wait on a check to be mailed to you.

Go here to sign up for Checkout 51 or here to read my full review of the app.

Receipt Hog

receipt-hog

Receipt Hog is another “scan your receipt” and get paid app. However, this one pays you in coins for each receipt you scan and upload. You can then redeem these coins for cash, donations, or goods. Right now Receipt Hog is open to only a limited number of participants. It currently just works for devices using Apple although it will be coming for Android soon.

saving-starSaving Star

This one isn’t a “scan your receipt” app, but you can use it to get paid cash back for buying certain things at the grocery store just like you do with the others mentioned above and the cash out is low at just $5. Also, you don’t even have to use the app so this is great if you don’t actually have a mobile device. You can just sign up at Saving Star and do everything on your computer. The catch with this one is that you do have to connect your store loyalty card in order to get the money back. Saving Star has a ton of different supported products and they change each month. Lots of people do really well with this one.

These apps are all great to use to earn money and maximize your savings. Ibotta is my favorite so far — I just love the interface, the low cash out threshold, and how they pay me right away! The Ibotta app makes it possible to bring home as much as $20 to $40 per shopping trip if you buy the things on their offer wall.

Please share below if you’ve used these or know of any other apps like Ibotta!

Note: This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.

1 Christine January 13, 2013 at 10:49 am

Endorse is awesome. You can easily get a few dollars every week, way better than ibotta! I love it. But it’s great to have a few of these, why not? This way you have a lot of options.

2 Ashley March 29, 2013 at 12:10 am

I completely agree here. I’ve gotten back like 15 dollars from endorse in two weeks! They had 20% back on any fast food last week, so it’s not just limited to grocery stores. Every store I’ve used it at it works.

3 Brittany August 28, 2013 at 12:26 am

I’m not saying Endorse is bad, but Ibotta is pretty amazing. I’ve earned $40 in less than a month buying mostly items that I had store and manufacturer’s coupons for. Several items, I got totally free. Some, I even made a profit from buying. I see this comment was made in January and I didn’t start using Ibotta until July, so maybe they have just really improved since your review, but they are just throwing money at me. :)

4 Victoria - Ozarks Crescent Mural January 13, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I don’t have a smartphone for the ones that require that, so I like eBates. Since I just bought a house, I’ve been doing more shopping than normal and I’ve earned over $100 on eBates. Nice to have that money since I would’ve made those purchases anyway.

5 punrun January 14, 2013 at 2:44 am

This is a great list. Are these apps applicable only to a certain country like US or other countries?

6 Anna January 14, 2013 at 8:40 am

I think that most of these are US based. I know that Ibotta is for sure.

7 Stephanie January 14, 2013 at 7:29 am

This seems like a great opportunity. I hope I could use this kind of apps but I live out of the Country. Thanks for sharing.

8 Mirand January 14, 2013 at 7:13 pm

This is great! Thanks for the list. This seems like such an easy way to save [make] money!!

9 Isra {The Frugalette} January 17, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I’ve never heard of receipt hog?! What’s interesting is it seems you could double dip between the apps. So if ibotta and endorse both have the same store, Im wondering if you could get credit for both, and then another one for receipt hog? Interesting!

10 Anna January 18, 2013 at 10:27 am

I think you can do that actually! It would certainly benefit to use them all if you had time to. I love that apps like this are popping up everywhere. Hope to find out about some more soon!

11 Caressa July 30, 2013 at 8:48 am

Just an update of sorts… There is an app called Shopkick that somewhat fits into this category, but you earn gift cards instead. I have been paid several times on it, but it is hard to add up to a decent amount. However, if you combine multiple apps like this in one outing, it would be more beneficial in the long run… And Shipkick is not solely on items bought or even grocery stores. There are stores in the malls that if you just walk into it, you get points, or scan a poster, or scan items that you do not have to actually purchase… It is worth checking into if you use a combination of the apps listed already.

12 tasha August 8, 2013 at 8:22 am

Ive tried about every money-making app there is & ive got to say endorse & Iboltta has been the best. Endorse is now no longer available though. But I highly recommend Iboltta if your looking to save a few bucks daily. I deposited $19.75 into my paypal account just from my last shopping trip. Sign up here to earn $10 just for tryng out the app.

let me know how well it works for you!

13 Jackie September 6, 2013 at 12:33 am

Ibotta has been the best for me as well. I got 43 dollars back on a 62 dollar shopping trip last week!! Love love love!! Here’s the link: