High-Pay Writing – $100 for Lists at Listverse

in Upfront Pay Writing, Writing and Editing

I came across a high-pay writing lead the other day when I was browsing the Work Place Like Home forum. Currently, Listverse is offering $100 for lists! The site is actually a huge compilation of cool, interesting lists across a variety of categories. I actually had a lot of fun just browsing around there, reading lists. Some interesting titles include, “10 Bizarre Ebay Auctions,” Truly Disturbing Fairy Tales,” and “10 Creepy Mysteries Shown Through Images.” And they have so many more! It’s a great way to kill 30 minutes or so.

How Payment Works

As stated above, Listverse is currently offering $100 for lists you submit that they publish. So your list needs to be good and something with a catchy title that people would want to read. If they decide not to publish your list, you of course won’t be paid. Payments are made with Paypal upon acceptance of your list.

If your list is in the top five most popular lists for the month, you’ll get a bonus payment of $100.

What They Are Looking For

The post Listverse has up on submissions really explains this better than I can, but in short they need something interesting that’s at least 1,000 words long with no less than 10 items in the list.

Before you whip something up and send it in, take a lot of time to read through their site to kind of get a feel for what they want. This should help to ensure that what you do write gets accepted.

Do You Have Your Own Blog/Website?

If you do, here’s another bonus — Listverse will let you include a link back to your blog/website if your list is published! And they claim to have over 15 million visitors per month, so this would be some awesome exposure. They are also willing to link up your book (if you have one you want to promote) or your Twitter account with your list.

The Fine Print – Rights to Your Content

The terms and conditions formerly stated that the content you submit will remain the property of Listverse whether it gets accepted for publication or not, but fortunately this seems to have changed. The terms now read as follows:

Feedback

Someone on Work Place Like Home gave it a go (as you can read on this thread) and got a list published. This person also reported receiving the $100 payment immediately upon getting her acceptance email. It’s clear that they do publish a lot of lists — it appears there are thousands published across all the categories they have, so I would assume they accept lists regularly.

Want to Make a List?

You can go here to send in your submission.

1 Angie Nelson December 6, 2012 at 9:06 am

I was soo tempted to submit a list the other day, but I hate the thought of giving up the rights on something that may never be published. If you were able to retain them on unwanted lists that would be another thing. You could then at least publish them elsewhere. 1,000 words is a lot of work for nothing!

2 Anna December 6, 2012 at 9:08 am

I know exactly what you mean, Angie! I am feeling the same way. I want to submit something and I have some good ideas, but I just can’t risk losing all that time when I know they might not take it and I can’t just send it somewhere else if they don’t …

3 Julie B December 6, 2012 at 9:22 am

Thanks, I have been waiting for this update. It is strange that he wants full rights even if its not published. What is he going to do with it, rewrite or spin the article? Hmm. May be worth a try though. I have some extra time tomorrow so I may work on a title and list. Good to hear there is only a 7 day turnaround and that they pay right away. The pay was my biggest concern.

4 Anna December 6, 2012 at 9:29 am

I agree, Julie. I think it’s a little strange that they want full rights even if they reject your list. Most sites that let you submit content don’t have that rule. But I felt a little better knowing that someone on a forum I visit gave it a try and was paid. If I knew I could get something written up in 30 minutes or so, I might be willing to try it.

5 schno March 2, 2014 at 5:06 am

Lists take more than 30 minutes. More like two or three hours minimum. You must provide links to “reputable” online sources for every fact, and they want two or three facts for each of the several items on the list.

And by the way, they do not consider wikipedia a reputable source

6 lisa December 6, 2012 at 9:46 am

I really wanted to give this a go, but again the thought of giving up rights to a 1000 word article that may never see the light of day – or get released as a plr by the owner is a bit much. I emailed them some ideas as it says you can, but didn’t hear anything back. A few alarm bells are ringing with this one I have to admit!

7 Patti Hale December 6, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Thanks for the update! I was seriously considering this, as probably all of you were, as a way to get paid for guest post that would link back to my website. Giving up my rights is a no go, though. Still…$100, lol! It’ll take years before any of my stuff earns that much.

8 Lisa Mills December 6, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Awesome opportunity, Anna! Thanks for sharing!

9 Sam December 25, 2012 at 3:59 am

This sounds a cool way to earn if you are a talented writer.
I have an interesting idea and this weekend I would create a list and submit to that site.
Let’s see if it gets accepted.
Fingers crossed!

10 Mirand December 28, 2012 at 12:48 am

I am going to give it a shot anyway!

11 Jaylia December 30, 2012 at 12:25 am

I don’t believe that is legal. It doesn’t fall under the heading of writing for hire.. Changes are that they don’t use the vase majority of content that comes through their site. They are cataloging and profiting off the sweat of writers and playing them for cheap. Would any other worker be subjected to this type of insult? For instance would a lawyer write up a brief and give it to a client, and then if the client didn’t use it, it’s free? No.

12 joe gee March 13, 2013 at 4:39 am

i have been a listverse fan for about two years.but the fact that they dont inform you when they reject an article is scary…i might give it a shot this week.

13 Melinda May 1, 2013 at 7:52 pm

sounds suspicious

14 Dennis Berry May 8, 2013 at 5:27 pm

After reading your article (I’ve been trying to research Listverse to see whether it was worth writing for), I went and checked the TOS.

“4. You agree that you voluntarily transfer all rights relating to the content to Jamie Frater (representing Listverse) if and when it is paid for. Rejected lists remain your property.”

I realize this article is a few months old, so maybe they recently changed it?

15 Anna May 8, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Thanks Dennis, hopefully they did change it! That is good to know. When I wrote the article, it definitely read differently.

16 marilyn cada May 25, 2013 at 7:48 am

thanks for the info. i am researching about it and many articles proved that they indeed pay. of course that is once they got accepted your article. i just sent proposals but i have not heard from them since then.. it was only one week ago

17 Charity Everett June 5, 2013 at 10:33 am

I submitted a list to them last Monday morning. I sent them a follow up email on Monday, and I haven’t received a response. Has anyone received one and how long does it take to hear back?

18 Drew January 15, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Checking ScamAdvisor, it says that Listverse is 100% safe to use and trust. Also, being a Listverse reader for a while already, I fully recommend it.

19 Rissy January 21, 2014 at 8:49 am

Listverse is a lot of work for nothing.

20 Rissy January 21, 2014 at 8:51 am

@ Charity Everett

I submitted my article on Jan 15, 2014, and I heard back on the 21st.

21 A.Roddy February 3, 2014 at 12:25 am

After a site like this has been around awhile, it is hard to be original. A few days ago, I sent what I thought was a unique list not already on the site. It got declined. Maybe it was too factual. I read on a forum the acceptance rate is only 30%. Any site that pays writers should keep up with tax info. I have doubts about this site.

22 Steve Brudney February 23, 2014 at 8:23 am

Now the question is just what it means for them to retain the rights when they publish a list. Can you publish it elsewhere if you 1. just change the title? 2. re-order the list? 3. Re-create the list making variations throughout in the language? Anyone know?