Doing Voice Overs From Home

in Non-Phone, Uncategorized Work

voice overs from homeThere are a lot of people making money from home doing voice over work. If you’re not familiar with what that is, it’s what you’re hearing when you watch just about any commercial when someone is talking over the video. Voice over artists are also used for radio and audio books. And don’t think you can’t do this because your voice doesn’t sound “perfect.” People with all different types of accents and tones are needed in this industry.

Before the days of the internet, your location might have mattered a little more than it does now  if you wanted to get into this line of work. But thanks to the internet and all the resources we have access to, it’s very possible to do recordings from home and get them quickly into the hands of the right people.

How does voice over work pay?

Like just about anything else, it can pay really well or not so well. It just depends on who you’re doing it for. Some people make really good money recording professionally while others only make a little here and there.

What kind of equipment do you need?

Some people set up actual recording studios inside their homes to get the best possible sound, but at a minimum you will need a very good quality microphone and your computer will of course need to be set up to create audio files of your voice. The exact equipment you’ll need will probably vary depending on the client.

Where to find the work?

Here are a few resources I came across online that might be helpful if you’re new to this industry with no idea where to start:

Voices.com – This site allows you to register for free and create a profile that includes samples of your voice. Then, you can access job postings online and audition for the ones you feel you’re a good fit for. Voices acts as the middle man and takes a commission from your earnings, then sends the rest of the money to you through either Paypal or check.

Voice123 – Another site similar to Voices.com that lets you create a free profile and gain access to various voice over projects. Voices123 claims to not take a commission so you are paid directly by their clients.

VoiceBunny – Sign up here and get paid for every approved recording that you do. They send money via Paypal or wire transfer.

I also found this Ehow article online with some good tips on breaking into the voice over industry. Please share below if you know of some other good resources for beginners!

1 Jenine November 23, 2012 at 10:21 am

Hi Anna,
I just love this article. However, I was wondering if a microphone headset would do just fine for a voice-over job. I brought a new pair some months ago.

2 Anna November 23, 2012 at 11:10 am

Hi Jenine, I bet it would if it were good quality!

3 Mônica November 23, 2012 at 10:29 am

Hello,

I liked your post so I decided to look for it a little bit further. And I found this (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/audio/buying-guides/voice-over-equipment). A relly complete article on the equipment (some inexpensive) need for voice-over. We can definitely do this at home, with the right tools! :)

By the way, I love your website.

4 Anna November 23, 2012 at 11:10 am

Thank you for sharing that! And thanks for the compliment :)

5 arvin November 23, 2012 at 9:43 pm

voice bunny seem to have no work available..

6 Alan December 27, 2012 at 6:40 am

This was a very informative post Anna. I never heard about this type of industry before and would really like to try my voice in this. I recently bought a microphone and really feel that I should make an audio clip and send it over to companies for review.:)

7 Frank Cantone March 28, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Hi Anna,
Thank you for the info on the voice over sites.
Sorry to say, I did a bit of research on them, and what I found was disappointing.
Seems like Voices.com and Voice 123 require subscription fees from their members, as described on this site

Couldn’t verify whether VoiceBunny requires fees, but I found this site which offers some not very favorable opinions on the site

I have to say I was a bit curious about the sites when they mention they don’t take commissions from talent, so how do they raise funds to operate? Also curious about the sites allowing members to set their own rates. I thought agents would find jobs and let their talent know how much the jobs pay.

I was also curious to see “affiliate” links at the bottom of the home pages. How would one make money promoting a “free to join” site?

The first linked site above recommends signing up with Voices.com and Voice123 to get in practice using their scripts, though be very wary about forking over money!

8 Van September 10, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Anna, I absolutely love this site. You have helped me find work in industries I have never thought of so I feel compelled to help out your readers on this topic. Since I have had my hand in VO work, I felt this article really did not provide the full picture on what is needed to make it in the business. Before I start, I am not writing this to deter anyone, but rather to inform because there is money to be made in VO if you have the voice, talent, equipment, dedication, and marketing skills needed to work the industry. First of all, not just anybody can do it. It takes more than a great voice – it also takes skill hence the title VO “artist”. When doing a voiceover, you are not simply reading a script but rather using only your voice to motivate, compel, inform, or entertain the listener. This is why people that have been professionally trained or with backgrounds in acting have a leg up on the competition. With regard to equipment, you will not be able to produce the quality of audio required using just any mic. You really need a home studio to include a studio quality mic, headset, soundproofed room (aka booth), audio recording software (and also editing if you want to expand your earning capability), and a quiet computer. It is market wide recommended that you have a professionally produced demo especially for commercial and image work which can range from $300 (the ugly) to over $1,000 (the awesome!). A demo is your calling card/resume to show your range of ability and get noticed so it is essential you have the best possible demo that is perfect for you. Statistically, a decision will be made on whether to cast you in only the first 7 seconds of your demo or audition. To ensure that you perform to industry standards, it is recommended that you work with a professional VO coach otherwise you are either going to have a very hard time finding work or get stuck doing re-reads at your time/expense. With that said, be cautious of what I call coaching mills with the primary goals of selling you a pipe dream, a ridiculously priced training package, and a high priced demo. Newbies are quickly disappointed when they discover the real costs involved in start-up, the fact that they are basically running a home business, are required to market themselves, and find the ratio of auditioning to actually scoring a gig disappointing and extremely time consuming. To give you some perspective, I spotted a blog of a 20 year VO vet that posted that in a 12 month period she auditioned 221 times to land 14 closed projects on Voice123 and auditioned 480 times to land 17 closed projects on Voices. I am finding in the forums that the serious VO artists are landing on average 5% of the projects they audition for. With those stats, you can easily see how competitive the market is. I could write an entire article just on the two pay to play sites you mentioned – Voices and Voice123. A note on agents… they will only work with the best of the best or from a small preferred list of talent so plan to market yourself in the niche your voice is best suitable for.

9 Anna T September 10, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Thanks for all the extra information, Van. I appreciate it and I’m sure others will, too. I wasn’t able to find a lot of solid info on voice over work and seeing as how I’ve never done it myself, I couldn’t offer any first hand experience, so I’m grateful that you’ve done that for us.