An Overview of Focus Forward Transcription

in Non-Phone, Transcription, Typing & Clerical

transcription for focus forwardFocus Forward is a company that I see advertising a lot for home-based transcription workers. This is the same company that also does market research surveys (and in fact you can sign up with Focus Forward if you like participating in research and would be interested in answering surveys from them). They have been in business for a long time (since 2003 so almost 10 years) and currently have over 400 U.S. based transcriptionists working for them.

Focus Forward handles many different types of transcription, including medical and business.

How much does Focus Forward pay?

The company hires both English language and Spanish language transcribers. Currently the English language transcribers earn $10 per 15 minutes of sound while the Spanish language transcribers earn far more at $37.50 per 15 minutes of sound. Some jobs may occasionally come with little bonuses attached.

The rate for English language transcription works out to $40 an audio hour. The industry standard for experienced transcribers is closer to $60 an audio hour, so the pay here is a little on the lower side unless you can do the Spanish language transcription.

Payments are sent out twice a month in the middle and end of each month via either mailed check or direct deposit. There is no option for Paypal here.

Do you need experience to do the work?

Focus Forward does prefer to hire people with transcription experience. However, you can try their test online and have a shot at getting in even with no experience. You do not have to upload a resume here, so your test is your one shot at getting in. You unfortunately cannot retake the test if you fail it.

Does Focus Forward hire people outside the U.S.?

No, you must be U.S. based to work for Focus Forward.

Is this an employee or IC position?

If hired, you work as an independent contractor for Focus Forward.

What is the schedule? Is there consistent work?

Focus Forward requires that you commit to doing at least four hours of sound per week. You are supposed to let them know your schedule with their scheduling tool so they can send you files when they have them. As is the case with most independent contractor jobs, there is no guarantee of steady work so you can probably expect there to be times when there isn’t much to do and also times when there is plenty.

As always, have some other work at home job on the backburner if you’re hired here just in case you need something else to go to when work is scant.

When you receive files, you are usually given about 24 hours time to complete them. Most files are around an hour long.

What are the technical requirements?

You will need the Express Scribe software to do the work and also a high-speed internet connection. Having Microsoft Word installed on  your computer is also a requirement.

What is the feedback on Focus Forward?

I am seeing a lot of positive reports on this company. The people in charge are apparently responsive to questions and concerns and are nice to work with. I have seen a few people complain that the pay, at $40 an audio hour, is not nearly enough, but then others seem  to be content with that rate.

How can you apply?

The job listing is posted on their site here. I’d also recommend reading through their FAQ here for more details on how it all works. Good luck!

If doing transcription work from home intrigues you, there are many, many more companies that hire for it listed in my directory.

1 Marina January 19, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Hi Anna,
Thanks so much for your amazing website, very helpful and informative. Just a note on Focus Forward Transcription. I applied with them, did their testing according to all of their instructions and they declined me. They said my work did not meet their criteria. I found it interesting considering I have over 7 years experience as a general transcriptionist so I consider my skills/experience certainly above average. I’m currently doing general transcription for another company and consistently get good feedback, so I don’t know what’s up with FFT. I am considering starting my own transcription service but would have liked to get on board with one or two other companies first. I’ll keep looking but thanks again for your info!

2 Anna January 19, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Marina!

I am sorry about Focus Forward, but do appreciate you coming here to share your experience with others. Hopefully there will be a better opportunity around the corner.

3 Janice February 5, 2013 at 9:04 am

Quick note on Focus Forward Transcription from a completely objective, self-employed contractor. (No personal affiliation with the company.) I worked with them for a couple of years as an English-language transcriber. They are GREAT! Pay is always on time, project managers are accessible, considerate and responsive with valuable feedback, when provided, work is steady (always more available!) and descriptions/directions clear and accurate, the FTP system is extremely user friendly … I can’t imagine anything running more smoothly, especially after having had a couple very negative experiences with companies that did not pay timely (or at all… especially a certain woman in Florida). I can say with certainty, based on my lengthy experience, that Focus Forward Transcription operates their business with integrity.

4 Anna February 5, 2013 at 9:51 am

Thanks Janice! I love hearing positive reports on the companies I’ve chosen to share. :)

5 Caitlin March 13, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Just letting everyone know… I was hired by them on Feb 26 and still have not received an assignment from them, in spite of being available 4/5 weekdays for 60-90 min sessions — only a lot of e-mails about rush jobs that are first come first serve. Apparently this is something experienced by a lot of people too. It makes me think they do not have a lot of work available or something, so it surprised me when I saw that they were still hiring.

Maybe this is just a one-time thing for new transcribers; can’t say what it’d be like once I got more regular work. But for those applying– you may have a wait in the beginning. Just putting it out there.

6 Anna March 13, 2013 at 4:28 pm

That is surprising. They are always hiring, I see their job listing posted every single day. As often as I come across their advertisements, I would have assumed they were covered up in work needing to be done.

7 Caitlin March 13, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Yes, I’m confused too. I e-mailed them 2 days ago about it so far to no avail (even though they replied to another one of my e-mails about a separate matter). In their policy they state that they may take “a while” to send first assignments to new transcribers, but no specification on how long that actually is. Will update if things finally move forward.

8 Caitlin March 15, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Speak of the devil– They gave me my first assignment yesterday. I wonder what was going on!

9 Mary August 12, 2013 at 11:39 am

Caitlin, what did you think about your first assignment? I passed the test and got hired as well and am currently waiting for my first assignment.

10 JohnnaH November 12, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Hi all, I am curious, can someone tell me what the test is like? Straight transcription? Is it scored immediately? Did you all practice a while or if I have done transcription before and am a fast typist, should I just go for it? THANKS!

11 Julie June 3, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Thought I’d update your readers since the link in your article is no longer valid. The updated site for transcription with them is http://www.fftranscription.com/join-team.html . I haven’t applied yet, so that’s all I’ve got. :)