Transcription for Beginners at TranscribeMe

in Non-Phone, Transcription, Typing & Clerical, Worldwide Opportunities

transcribe me for beginners

One of my readers on Twitter alerted me to a new site for transcription last night called TranscribeMe, and what’s really exciting about this one is that you do not have to have transcription experience to sign up! In fact, it is so newbie friendly that it reminds me a lot of Quicktate or Scribie.

I decided to sign up for this one myself even though transcription is not my thing so I could get a feel for how it works and write a more detailed review. There isn’t a ton of work to go around at the moment because they have so many new workers. So if you get hired and don’t have work, just keep refreshing your page as it does come and go.

Still, I was able to create my account, watch their video, and take and pass the simple exam. Here are more details on TranscribeMe:

Pay

Unless you were hired before September 1, 2012, you get $20 an audio hour plus potential bonuses of $2 an audio hour which is dependent on speed and accuracy. People who were hired before September 1, 2012 receive $30 an audio hour (unless this has changed). Payments can be made at any time — all you have to do is request a withdrawal. You only need $1 in your account to get a payment.

If you’re new to transcription, it’s important to understand that an audio hour is not the same as an actual hour, so you won’t be making $20 an hour technically. The audio hour is just how much you’ll earn for however long it takes you to transcribe an hour of audio, and naturally you’ll be rewinding a lot through the file so it will take longer.

Who Can Sign Up

I emailed the company to find out, and TranscribeMe confirmed that they are open worldwide provided you can be paid with Paypal. However, all files must be transcribed in American English.

The Application Process

This could not be simpler. All you do is fill out a short form with some minimal information (name, email, country, etc.) Then, you are taken to a page with a short video to watch. I definitely recommend watching the whole thing as the process of signing up and actually doing the work is explained in detail.

After you watch the video, you can go to the next screen where you take a short exam. Don’t let this make you nervous because it’s very easy. You listen to about 10 or 15 seconds of audio (the speech is clear so it’s easy to hear what is being said), and then you type it out. You can fast-forward, rewind as much as you need and you have five full minutes to complete the test. After you hit submit, the test is graded automatically. If your accuracy is good enough, you are then in the system and may start working if there is any work to do.

If you fail the test, you do have the option to take it over again a few times so don’t get too discouraged if you fail the first time. If you pass, you can then read over their style guide. Read it and definitely keep it open for a while as you work until you feel like you have it down.

Doing the Work

Transcribing for TranscribeMe seems really easy because the audio is fairly short. The company has been experimenting with the file length. Initially the files were just 10 or so seconds long, but they tried it making them a few minutes in length. I just recently read an announcement from them that they will be going back to shorter files because this results in better quality from their workers.

Feedback So Far

Because this is a new company, not a lot is out there. But I did find a thread here on WAHM where some people have been doing work for TranscribeMe, and there was at least one person on that thread who reported being paid. The company also appears to be active in social media with a Facebook and Twitter presence, and they have lots of contact information listed so this is all a good sign.

My Experience

I have high hopes for this site! Everything is really straightforward here and even though I have never enjoyed transcription (what little I’ve tried it), I think I might actually kind of like doing it for this company, it seems so simple. So I am going to keep checking back for work. I will be sure to update and let you all know when I get paid.

Signing Up

You can go here to sign up for TranscribeMe.

1 Alisa August 17, 2012 at 9:59 am

Thanks for the review Anna. I recently signed up and passed the test(IT WAS SOOO EASY) now I’m waiting to begin!!!

2 Anna August 17, 2012 at 10:05 am

Yes, I know I am going to be impatient for them to get things up and running because I am excited to start too!

3 Jen August 17, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Anna,

Thanks for the information. Although the test was very easy, I guess I was not focused enough and had to make a second attempt. I did however pass, but what’s really weird is: I logged off and cannot log back in. I have used the same email and password over and over and its still unrecognized. Any thoughts?

4 Anna August 17, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Hmm, that is odd. I would just email support and explain what happened. Hopefully they will be responsive.

5 Brittney August 18, 2012 at 5:40 am

I would try logging in at http://workhub.transcribeme.com/Job/Transcribe instead of logging in at the main website.

6 Jen August 18, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Thanks you so much Brittney. I must have tried a hundred times yesterday, and thought they had just banished me from the site. Yes, that link you provide worked. Glad you responded. Many thanks!

7 Alisa August 17, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Oh gosh,I’m having that same problem also!

8 arvin August 23, 2012 at 8:14 pm

workhub.transcribeme.com and transcribeme.com are different. if you signed up as transcriber then to go workhub. you cant log in as transcriber on transcribeme.com. it’s for the customers.

9 Katrina August 18, 2012 at 1:08 am

Jen and Alisa,

Type in workhub.transcribeme.com
You should be able to login there.

10 Alisa August 18, 2012 at 9:18 am

Thanks Katrina, it works now and I was able to do a few files.

11 Jen August 18, 2012 at 7:16 pm

It’s really nice when people are willing to help. Thanks Katrina!

12 Jaynee August 18, 2012 at 7:16 am

I’ll definitely look into this as I’ve been doing transcription for years. Unfortunately, I get an “unsupported browser” message when attempting to access the site via Opera, IE or Firefox. Apparently they only want Chrome. Has anyone else gotten this error message?

13 Anna August 18, 2012 at 9:46 am

Yes, you will have to use Chrome to do the work. But it’s a free download and it’s actually a great browser. If you don’t want it to be your primary browser, you can just use it when you work for TranscribeMe and be sure not to set it as “default” when you install it.

14 ebele August 19, 2012 at 7:42 am

Hi Anna :-)

Thanks for sharing info about this site. I joined, so thanks. :-)

You’re right – the test was simple and straightforward. And yes, the transcripts aren’t as short as advertised. I understand longer transcripts is what the members requested which is cool as the company listened and implemented it. I personally would have preferred them shorter.

I’ve only done one for now and it was 3 mins long. There was a next transcription for me to do but I decided not to do it as it was late. I’ve checked today and there are none for another week while they sort things out. I hope they do as transcribing is something I wouldn’t mind doing and I guess I’ll get faster as I go along. Money’s not that great , but it’s a good way to get one’s foot in the door.

Take care…

15 Anna August 20, 2012 at 10:43 am

You’re welcome! I am glad you like it. I really hope work picks up soon as promised.

16 Mary Ann August 19, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I wouldn’t wait a week to check back. I’ve been occasionally checking and they seem to randomly come back up. So you might want to just check in every once and a while and see if they have any work available. :)

17 Anna August 20, 2012 at 10:49 am

Yes, and I get emails occasionally saying there is work to do too! So for sure it’s a good idea to check back regularly.

18 Stephanie August 19, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I really want to try this website! I’ve looking forward to do some transcription work (I’m a beginer) and think that this website can be good for me. Thanks! :)

19 Anna August 20, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I’m technically a beginner too, having done nothing much more than dabbled in it on MTurk for requesters like SpeechInk, etc. Not sure it’s my cup of tea, but I think I can do it and the weekly pay combined with the simplicity of this site is very attractive.

20 Toni Carter August 20, 2012 at 1:39 am

Thanks ! I also subscribed to ”Transcribe me” with a test result of 98.18% ! Looking forward to starting some work next week.

21 Anna August 20, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Congrats, Toni!

22 DeAnne Ridge August 20, 2012 at 10:19 am

I am wondering what’s up. I did a three minute audio after passing (easy peasy) but at about 2:17 it cut me off saying I had exceed time allotted for the assignment. Now I have experience as a transcriber and while I was taking my time (as no one mentioned a time limit) I did not take an excessively long time. Also, why are people having to wait? The video says “The work never ends.” I hope it’s as good as it first seems.

23 Anna August 20, 2012 at 10:27 am

Not sure about the time limit, but they explain on the workhub that they are doing some upgrades to their system and are not providing a full workload at the moment. As stated in the post above, they’re a new company so it’s not really surprising that they’re doing upgrades, etc. that might affect workflow. I’ll be checking back continuously (as I’m sure others will) to see if/when work picks up.

24 Erica August 20, 2012 at 11:55 am

Thanks for the review… I have signed up and passed the test :)

25 Anna August 20, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Yay Erica! Now lets cross our fingers for some work :) So far today I haven’t had any luck finding it, but I keep checking.

26 Janis Bennett August 20, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Wow! Thanks for sharing this new transcription site. I’ve already sent a few people over that are interested in transcription work. I think this is a great gig to have for new people that are intimidated and want to “test the waters” of transcription, to get some experience and transcription work on their resume, for “filler work” when other contracts/jobs are slow, or when you need some quick money because of the weekly pay. I might even sign up myself to see what it’s all about. Yeah, the pay is low, but the files are short and sometimes its nice to have some quick and easy work that you know you’ll be paid for at the end of the week!

27 Anna August 20, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Agreed, Janis. I am really hoping this one turns out to be as good as it sounds. There are so many of these things that seem so promising but then turn out not to be quite so awesome. I really hope this one lives up to the hype!

Also, thanks for your site, is an excellent resource for transcription :)

28 Anette August 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Hi, I signed up and took the test, but when I clicked the submit button. I got a message that stated time was not valid. Did this happen to anyone else? I sent an email to them, but haven;t heard from them.

29 Anna August 20, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I am actually getting to do some files today and I have run out of time on two, which means I did not get paid for the work :( Not a huge fan of that. I’m new to this so it takes me longer. Unless I get faster I’m going to be wasting a lot of time here.

*Edited to Add* — I was reading the thread on this company at WAHM and the time-out thing is a problem a lot of people are having. The tech upgrades they are doing this week is supposed to dramatically increase the time-out period so it’s not as common an occurrence. I hope that fixes it!

30 MIKE February 10, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Anette am getting this same message…did you eventually succeed?

31 Wendy August 20, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I typed the minutes for many, many meetings (while they were occurring) in my corporate life, so I felt that I would have great luck at trying this site for transcription. The first file I got was very, very long…littered with names (of author’s, I’d guess) that I couldn’t understand & did not recognize. It was a very academically based conversation & was incredibly hard. It timed out on me & when I went back in, I got the same discussion. My 3rd attempt was a new audio clip, but was equally as challenging (big, elaborate words…some perhaps in latin?).

Another bummer is that the text that I’m typing is often lagged…far behind what I’m typing, so I have to stop frequently for the text to catch up. I’m frustrated…but will hang with this in hopes they work the kinks out soon!

32 Anna August 21, 2012 at 6:56 am

I have not had the problem with text lagging, but I did notice the conversation was very academic in nature. I also had a hard time with some of the words I did not recognize (names of books, authors, etc. as you said).

Fortunately though the sound was very clear. My main gripe so far is the timing out I mentioned above. I think that for a site geared toward beginning transcribers, they don’t give enough time to complete the files. And it’s very frustrating to have something almost finished and then get the pop up message saying you took too long and not get paid :( But from what I read on the forums at WAHM, this is something they are planning to improve — extending the time it takes before you time out — so that at the very least will help.

33 Deana August 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I just wanted to post that they paid me through Paypal today! I didn’t put a lot of time into it until I could see how good they were going to be about paying on time. I hope the work becomes more available so that I can invest more time into it now that I know that they are timely with the payments! I’m excited about this little egg!!

34 Anna August 22, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I’m so glad to hear it Deana! Thank you for letting everyone know. It always kind of makes you feel like breathing a sigh of relief when you get paid by a new company.

35 Danielle August 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I just want to say thanks for sharing this opportunity. I think a lot of these transcription sites have changed and are geared towards professional transcribers now. So, I couldn’t sign up for those. Now I have something to do. lol

36 Anna August 22, 2012 at 4:48 pm

You’re welcome! I agree, I like this one since I don’t need experience and it’s relatively easy:) Good luck with it!

37 Alasia Bennett August 22, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Ladies, I’m glad to see some of you are only thinking of this as paid transcription practice.

The minimum standard wage is $60 per audio hour, so they are offering you half of the industry’s norm. Think of it like this. Would you accept half of minimum wage at a local company? Companies like this are an insult to freelance transcribers. I think these companies are sitting back thinking about how low they can pay, and still have people rush to work for them. I’d use it for practice, while applying to companies who hire beginners and appreciate the skill and time it takes to transcribe audio accurately.

38 Anna August 22, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I understand where you’re coming from Alasia, and while this is a low rate when compared to the industry standard, I can see how someone might be able to earn at or slightly above minimum wage assuming the workload is steady, which is more than you can say for Scribie and maybe Quicktate.

While it’s true that there are some other companies that hire beginners and pay more, these companies are not always hiring and are also not as easy to get on with when they are hiring. TranscribeMe is (at least for the time being) accepting most people who apply and pass their simple test. Plus, they pay weekly (with Paypal, which is super convenient) and some people really need that weekly payment. I’m also sure that not everyone who is using TranscribeMe is seriously interested in a transcription career (although I’m sure many may be). I’m a great example because I’m not looking to get into transcription as a career. I am just using the site because I can do the work and it’s extra money on top of what I already earn.

I do agree with you however that if a person is interested in pursuing transcription seriously, he/she should definitely use this place and maybe others like it as a jumping off point — then perhaps that will provide the confidence and experience needed to apply with some of the more selective, better-paying companies. I would definitely not recommend this site as a long-term career plan for someone interested seriously in transcription because there are so many better paying opportunities out there.

39 Suzie September 28, 2012 at 12:23 am

I signed up for it just to see what transcribing was like. I am thinking about doing medical transcription and i want somewhere to start to see if I am any good at transcribing and if I like it before I invest time and training in the field. I can type really fast and I would like to do this. Of course the money is a nice extra even if it is not that much. I just hope they get new job listings soon, I also received the no new jobs available screen after passing the test. Are there any other web sites like this where I can jump in and try it out or does anyone know of anything that might help me get started in transcription without having to pay any money I am currently unemployed and living on set income.

40 Anna September 28, 2012 at 6:32 am

Do you have an account at Amazon Mturk Suzie? They have a lot of mini-transcription jobs you can work in without actually having to sign up with a company. Create your account (sign up as a worker) and then do a search for “transcription.” You’ll see lots of things come up in the results for it most likely.

41 Suzie October 10, 2012 at 5:58 am

Yes i signed up for that one recently but have not got a chance to look at it yet.
I will go and check it out and see if they have anything i can do on there. Thanks for the advice.

42 Mary Ann August 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm

They had an update on their Yammer site saying that they’re now going to be adding people onto a waiting list because a large number of people signed up. You might want to update the review. ;-)

43 Anna August 28, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Thanks Mary Ann, I saw that too and actually updated yesterday (second paragraph). I am glad a lot of people got in first!

44 Mary Ann August 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Whoops. Must have missed it. Should have known you’d be on the ball! :)

45 Anna August 29, 2012 at 7:21 pm

lol, that’s OK :) I’ve been keeping my eye on that watercooler thing because I want to know as soon as they start doing the instant cash outs.

46 arvin edejer August 29, 2012 at 12:36 am

I got paid today.. this one is legit. how bout you guys???

47 Chrissy September 12, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Just signed up and took the test today, and there are no jobs available. This is what it says “For a short period of time there are no jobs available. We are deploying new technology and upgrades. Please check back soon.”

Hope it’s back up and running soon!

48 Anna September 13, 2012 at 7:40 am

Me too, Chrissy. I am trying to keep an eye on what’s going on with this company so I can update you all if anything changes.

49 Donna October 19, 2012 at 3:15 am

Hi Anna! Thanks for this! I am excited. I tried to take the exam but the audio won’t play. The play button is color red instead of green as I saw on the video. Do you have any idea how to fix this?

50 Anna October 19, 2012 at 6:12 am

I think you have to use Chrome to take it. Are you using Google Chrome?

51 Tintin October 22, 2012 at 12:13 am

Hi! I just want to share that, I also signed up here. I did that yesterday and after I passed the exam I was already transcribing several files. It’s really nice! Thanks Anna for posting some tips and company names that hires people to work from home. I am 23 years old and mom of a 9 month old baby girl. These work at home really works great for me! I can work and at the same time, spending time with my family!

52 Jenine December 6, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Hi Anna,
I signed up for Transcribe Me last Friday and passed the test with flying colors. I’ve gotten some files here and there. Today, 99% of the audio files I received were clear and I were able to make out the words. So far, I’ve made about $1.78. I guess it’s because I’m a beginner.

53 bernice jenkins December 12, 2012 at 1:11 am

I signed up and was accepted but I never got the email to get to the yammer site for updates. Where do I get that from and access it so i can get updates? i can log in and of course no work avail but nothing on the site says how to get to yammer site(watercooler)

54 Anna December 13, 2012 at 6:36 am

I think they had invite me in to the Yammer group, and it happened probably a week after I signed up. I just got an email from them inviting me into it.

55 Sheila December 21, 2012 at 9:37 am

Thank you so much for this review. I signed up with transcribeme a couple of days ago and have had fairly consistant work whenever I log in. I do have a question for anyone that has been using them and is familiar with them. Do they pay out on Tuesday or Thursday for the previous week? Since I’ve already met the threshold for payment I am eagerly awaiting payday. :-) I’ve seen both both days mentioned on different areas on the FAQ section. Also my earnings are listed as “Earned as Transcriber” and another amount “Earned as QA”. Does that mean I will be paid both of these amounts?

56 Susan December 21, 2012 at 10:47 am

Passed the exam days ago . . . no work available. And if there should be work, how much of it can I get? Don’t see this as a good opportunity.

57 Sheila December 21, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Hi Susan, just keep refreshing the page every so often to check. I’ve been pretty busy with work all morning so I would think you would get some too.

58 Pallavi January 12, 2013 at 5:23 am

Hi,
I , applied for test at TranscribeMe but not succeeded. My net result is not more then 86%. Is anybody here who can help me to clear this test.

Regards

Pallavi

59 Rhiannan March 1, 2013 at 4:50 am

I just did some work for TranscribeMe! And earned 26 cents for typing 48 seconds worth of audio… hehe :-)

60 Wendy T. March 7, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I just signed up for this company. I have about 4 hours a day to put into this, 4 days a week. I hope it works out, and I can make a decent wage! Thanks for all the reviews and comments.

61 Chantelle March 26, 2013 at 1:22 am

Hey there,

I just wanted to let everyone know my experience with Transcribeme so far. I signed up last week and have already earned the minimum cash out of $10.00 and received it in my Paypal account today (completed and everything)- it does say on their FAQ that transcribers will earn $20 for every audio hour that they put in.

Sometimes there isn’t work to be done, but I find that is during the day when everyone is awake and looking to earn money. I am a night hawk so I start at around 11pm and work right through until I get tired which is usually around 3-4am and there is always work to do at this time of day.

Overall, I am incredibly happy with it so far. So keep at it if you have signed up!

62 Kelvin May 19, 2013 at 12:19 am

Same here Chantelle! You need to do at least 30 minutes of audio every week in order to get paid. That’s a lot!

Back when their pay rate was $30 per hour, you only had to do around 20 minutes just to meet the $10.

63 Cindi April 4, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Does anyone know where I can get more information about their style guide? The information they have onscreen on the transcription page has a lot of holes. For instance, how do they want you to transcribe numbers? Do they want you to use quotation marks at all, when someone is quoting someone else?

64 Cindi May 18, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Cindi, the TranscribeMe style guide is on their Yammer page. If you don’t have yammer, you can email Anna Robinson at anna@transcribeme.com for the invite.

65 Kelvin May 18, 2013 at 7:54 pm

My apologies. I’m still new to this replying thing and I accidentally typed in Cindi’s name instead of mine. My name is Kelvin by the way.

66 Connie June 10, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I worked TranscribeMe long enough to get to the minimum payout and have not been paid. I decided to ‘test the waters’ so to speak and only worked until the minimum payment amount was reached. I haven’t had any rejections and there is no other reason that is apparent to me why I have not been paid.

I first reached out to them over a month ago on their Yammer site and got no response. I patiently waited a month and then tried Yammer again along with a detailed email and attached a PDF of the payout page and have gotten no response whatsoever.

Also, I am not the only one with this problem. I posted on their Yammer page and several people joined the conversation with the same problems, not getting paid and no responses to email attempts to reach them.

I would avoid this company at the present time until they straighten out their payment problems.

67 Anna Thurman June 10, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I hate to hear that! They seemed like a promising company. I’m glad you reported here that you were not paid. I’ll put a notice at the top of my review to warn others that they are having some payment issues.

68 Connie June 13, 2013 at 9:02 am

I have finally been paid. I waited patiently for just over a month for them to respond on their own, they certainly failed that test so I would advise anyone with payment problems to read the FAQ and email the address listed with the details of your non-payment issue.

I was contacted both on Yammer and via email, but honestly I was being ignored until I mentioned posting about my issue on work at home job boards and then posted here. I honestly can’t say whether they sincerely wanted to resolve my non-payment issue, or if I was just the one screaming the loudest.

Over on Yammer there were many others that were discussing non-payment along with lack of response to payment requests, I can’t speak for how their issues are being handled, but there is a post there that looks like they are making a great effort to straighten things out going forward.

For myself, I think I may wait a while to transcribe for them for a period of time until they get their payment system under control. It just could be that they are overwhelmed because they have a large pool of typists to contend with, but again, this is just speculation on my part.

Thanks you very much Anna for your efforts and for giving freelancers like myself a way to voice concerns to others. I thought long and hard before deciding to post here, but after careful consideration and with others complaining about the same issues, I think that in this instance it a word to the wise was warranted.

69 Anna Thurman June 13, 2013 at 10:43 am

I am glad to hear you got paid, Connie, and that you share your experience here. Hopefully they will straighten things out going forward. I know that sometimes companies have little “bumps in the road” but overall still have good intentions. So I guess we will see how it all pans out for them in the future.

70 J July 17, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I have worked for TranscribeMe for about 4 or 5 months now. They were always prompt in paying me until they updated their system about a month or so ago. I contacted them via email to let them know I hadn’t been paid. I got a reply within 48 hours, and the problem was corrected very shortly after. I have been paid regularly ever since. If you have difficulty being paid, I would recommend sending an email to anna@transcribeme.com and CC this one also, valeriya@transcribeme.com. All I included in the email was my name, email address (both the login email and my paypal email address.) I hope this is helpful.

71 Jenine July 23, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I just logged into my Transcribe Me account and so far my earnings was reduced down to zero. I haven’t worked for this site in over five months now. Back in December 2012, it showed my earnings and sometimes I did notice that they would reduce my payments. I used to think that it was because I didn’t transcribe some of the files as well as I should, but I don’t know what’s going on here. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

72 agnes tagle August 8, 2013 at 8:34 am

how to have a paypal account, where to get this?

73 Anna T August 8, 2013 at 8:35 am

Hi Agnes. You can just go to Paypal.com and sign up for one. It is very easy!

74 Salm August 22, 2013 at 4:37 am

Hello Anna,

I started off now with this site. I can now see $9 in my account. I wish to know at what stage they do rejection process. Is it before showing up the $ in dashboard or at the time of payment?

75 Anna T August 22, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I’m not sure, but I would guess at time of payment.

76 Kinga October 4, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I just want to give everyone a heads up. I tried applying today 10/04/2013 and I was given a message that they currently are not accepting application and anyone who is interested can be put on a waiting list to be contacted.

77 Susan P October 19, 2013 at 1:26 am

I got the same message, too. Also, when I tried to fill out their form to be put on their waiting list, it asks for the name and email of the person who referred me. No one referred me, as I just found it online. Does anyone know what I need to type on those fields, so that it will accept my info? I tried putting in “N/A” and it won’t take.

78 Angela P. November 14, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I feel so stupid that I can’t get a passing score on the part of the exam where you are transcribing verbatim–I’m not too far from a passing grade–and I can’t be the only one who keeps stumbling on this. I’m pretty certain that problem is with punctuation. I don’t know how much of my issue relates to the guidelines, but they don’t address a couple of things I had tried to look up.

79 Andra Cornelia December 12, 2013 at 9:11 am

I have the same problem..i don’t really know how i am mistakening because at punctuation it tell me that part 2 is 0.00 and at Capitalization last part 0.00 when i thought i did great

80 Carmen Leon November 21, 2013 at 10:02 am

Hi,
Has anyone transcribed a spanish audio? I havent done the test yet. I hope to pass.

81 Andra Cornelia December 12, 2013 at 9:02 am

Hello there!I am not a native speaker of English and I am new to this field,wanted to try my luck and start into it.I like to think i have my way around English,still i can’t seem to pass the exam and i don’t know why:( because I find it simple and think i did a good job but then at the final stage for punctualization part 2,3 0/0 and i don’t underestand why..

82 Ponyhome April 3, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I signed up for TranscribeMe with high hopes, but it’s looking very grim. So far the best speed I can manage with any accuracy, and taking time to check punctuation, spelling, paragraphs and capitalization (remember, they can pay you NOTHING if those aren’t all perfect) is about five minutes per transcribed minute of audio. I type 120WPM, but the audio segments have been horrible, and I have to listen to most of them at least 4-5 times to be able to understand them. At $20/audio hour, that means the pay rate is 1/5 that, or less than $4/hour. I could make more than double that much by standing on a street corner spinning a sign, and it wouldn’t give me carpal tunnel syndrome. If you spend more than 2:42 on any one-minute audio segment, you are working for less than US minimum wage. This might be a good deal in Singapore, but it’s not particularly good here in Texas. I just worked five hours for $11 (and my pieces have not been through review yet, so they might yet chop that down). I’m feeling very frustrated.

83 Paige Rankin April 7, 2014 at 1:26 am

I just wanted to update everyone on the new payment system at TranscribeMe. You are still paid $20 per audio hour but the payout is now only $1 and you can initiate the payout at any time. We are no longer paid every Monday, unless we decide to click “withdraw” on Monday. I find this is much easier for people who want to essentially test the company. I agree, the pay isn’t great but I also haven’t found a better company! They are absolutely amazing when it comes to helping.

Don’t let the fear of rejection get to you. My first time every transcribing was at TranscribeMe and I haven’t had any rejections to date.

84 Anna T April 7, 2014 at 4:10 am

Thanks for the update!

85 AT June 6, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I tried TranscribeMe and I simply had to come back here to leave an updated review.

Unlike the above poster, Ponyhome, I only type around 60WPM. However, my outcome was virtually identical. I worked for roughly five or six hours to the tune of approximately $12 USD. Unfortunately, once my work was reviewed by their QA team that amount plummeted, if it is possible for such an abysmally low wage to plummet, to $8.90.
I can see the “typos” I made because they show you your work and the QA edit version. So, I have one missed comma in a minute worth of transcription here… A totally different word chosen to be my start of a horribly stuttered, three-times-restarted sentence there…
Any miniscule error, or perceived error, leaves you with a complete loss of time and pay because you are responsible for “clean transcription”. Which, ladies and gentlemen, means you are not only a transcriptionist, but also an editor. $20 an audio hour for transcription + perfect audio editing = huge four-letter word of a bummer.

To be fair, please let me cite all the Pros, and follow up with the Cons.

PROS:
- With basic language skills you ought to be able to land this job.
- Even if they “aren’t hiring now!” you will still get the job. I was emailed a couple days after getting very high scores on most of the tests.
- Yes, they pay and seem legitimate in all respects.
- You may consider this “good practice” or a “foot in the door”.

CONS:
- Abysmally low wages. Seriously rock bottom, third-world country, less-redeeming-for-your-career-than-an-unpaid-internship wages. I cannot stress this enough, but I will stress it again in my final CON at the BOTTOM LINE, so keep reading please!
- Poor-quality audio recordings. You will get clips with very bad sound quality, such as lots of static/popping/audio-artifacting, etc.
- Poorly-annunciated recordings. These are, by and large, not professional recordings. People mumble, slur, stutter and talk over each other constantly. These are not speeches recited by the president, for example. These are recordings of some of the worst representations of public speaking and/or people recording their stray thoughts on their cell phones. There will be exceptions, where there are clearly-spoken thoughts, but this is more of a rarity.
- Difficult accents. You may get recordings from regions which do not share your accent or common knowledge. I got TONS of UK recordings despite clearly only checking the box for US English knowledge, because I was trying to play it safe. I had to guess from a poorly/quickly pronounced word and then Google tons of British towns, schools, stores, etc. This ratcheted up my time spent per transcription immensely. AND I watch BBC shows and movies quite often, so British English isn’t as hard for me to understand as it can be for some people.
- Infinitesimally small “errors” leave you with zero pay for any audio clip on which you have worked. Think: One missed comma in a minute of audio. One minute of audio may not sound like much, but when people speak quickly it can be a lot of information. Having to listen many times to make out the words and then edit them to “clean transcription” means even one minute of audio can equate to many minutes of work.
- There are timers. They are not visible to you in the browser interface, but I can assure you that they exist. I was almost finished with one awful clip of audio – which had a combo of bad sound, heavy accent, unfamiliar proper nounds, multiple speakers and poorly conveyed thoughts – when the in-browser app told me I had taken too long for this piece of work. Someone else must have been given the work. I lost all that time and any compensation for it.
- Audio clips are short and not sequential. So, you get 20-60 second clips of a full hour recording, for example, and the audio just cuts off at the end mid-word. Audio recordings start the same way. We, as transcribers, do not hear the full recording. We are dosed out clips to work upon as we go. I may get clip 1, 3, 5, 7 and 8. You would get 2, 4, 6, 9 and 10. What does this mean? It means I can do a whole clip beautifully but that if the word at the end of 1 is cut off to me and I don’t get clip 2, then I can lose credit for my work. QA gets the whole picture. They can make you lose credit for your work at the push of a button for one word that isn’t in your clip. It happened to me and I have to say of all the typos I had corrected (or “corrected”) in my work, this one made me the most angry. I know the word “HVAC” was not at the end of the clip I was docked from my payout list, and yes, yes it does make me angry.

-BOTTOM LINE: TranscribeMe is not a scam, but they are ripping you off.

TranscribeMe gets paid by the client to transcribe the audio recordings. You come along wanting a WAH job – wanting a foot in the door to transcription work – and do that job for them. You listen to the bad recordings. You type it all out on “paper”. You edit the 17 false starts. You edit the run-on sentences. You edit the poor grammar with adroitness, cleaning up errors while leaving the original style and feel of the recording intact. You are a transcriptionist, an editor and a language style artist. You are a Transcription Fairy Godmother for pennies on the dollar.

So, you may want to try TranscribeMe to see if what I am saying is true. I can’t blame you, because I read the reviews, good and bad, and chose to try them out as well. Maybe you will get immensely lucky. Maybe you will have some innate transcription skill which will allow you to perfectly type and correct any recording in realtime, thus making a living wage from $20 an audio hour. However, I suspect this is highly unlikely and I suggest you do not put a great deal of time into this endeavor. Either way, good luck to you.

86 Kazz July 29, 2014 at 7:13 pm

I have passed the initial exam easily enough but am totally stuck on the training module. I have tried 3 times but I can’t pass it and can’t work out what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?