The Arise Home Business Opportunity

in Chat Jobs, Customer Service, Home Business, Phone Jobs, Sales

arise home business opportunityA rundown of how Arise works is long overdue on this site. This is one of those opportunities where you do have to pay to get started, but no, this is not a work at home scam. You should always be cautious if you are ever asked to pay for employment, but Arise is the exception because it’s more of a home business that you’re starting. Once you have completed the sign-up process, you essentially have your own business as a customer service professional, and Arise is the middle man that hooks you up with clients.

What You Do For Arise

Just as with any home customer service job, you are providing customer support and/or sales to various businesses. You are not helping out Arise directly, but rather their clients. There are many, many well-known companies that use Arise for their customer service staffing needs. Instead of bothering to hire people directly, these companies simply contract through Arise and Arise provides the workers as well as handles all of the training.

The work you do will vary depending on the client, but you can expect phone work and possibly even email/chat support. Yes — email and chat support are highly sought after non-phone jobs that are hard to come by, but Arise is one company with many clients that need help with those very things.

Why You Have to Pay

One reason you have to pay is because Arise requires that you incorporate yourself as a business before you can sign up. They have a rule that they only contract with incorporated entities, so you do have to go through the process of creating an independent business first. Doing this will probably cost you around $100. In addition to this, there are other expenses involved in getting started with Arise. They have provided a general breakdown of what it will cost you to start-up (note that they have included the incorporation fee in this:)

National Background Check Fee ($12.95 in most states, $25.95 in CA, CO, MA, NV, VT or SD)
Incorporation (approx. $100)
High-Speed Internet Access ($50/month)
Phone Equipment ($35-100)
Dedicated Phone Line ($18-30/month)
Basic Certification Program CSP101 ($99)

All of the above fees are paid to third parties with the exception of the Basic Certification Program fee, which is paid to Arise. You’ll also notice above that you do have to have a dedicated phone line to use just for working, so using your own home phone line is not an option. You’ll have to pay for a separate line used solely for working.

Additionally, Arise deducts a semi-monthly service fee of $19.75 from all independent business owner employees. This fee will not be deducted until you are actually working and earning money. Why do they charge this fee? Arise states it’s because of the infrastructure they provide to you, which includes accounting services, 24-hour help desk, and their scheduling system.

Getting Around the Fees?

I have also read that it’s occasionally possible to get around some of the fees when signing up with Arise. For example, if you do not want to incorporate yourself, you can sign up under another person’s corporation and work that way. I know some people already have corporations for whatever reason. If you do, there is no need to make a new one. You can just work under your existing corp.

Sometimes there are promo codes you can take advantage of to go toward the basic certification program so that you’re not having to pay for that either. Unfortunately, I do not know how often this is offered, but it might be a good idea to “like” Arise on Facebook to see when/if they offer any special promotions. Chances are good that you already have high-speed internet and phone equipment, although you’ll need to get a headset if you don’t already have one of those.

Earning Potential and Pay

There is potential to earn good money through Arise. They quote between $9 and $19 per hour depending on a variety of different things, including the client you are working for as well as possible performance incentives and bonuses.

Arise pays you twice monthly via direct deposit into a corporate bank account.

The Application Process

So if you want to do this, how do you start? First, you have to look over their contract, go through an assessment so they can verify that your computer and voice proficiency, etc. are on par with what they need and so they can understand your skills, which may help them with matching you to their clients. Then, pay for your background check and wait for the results to come back. If your background check is OK, you can go ahead and enroll in the e-certification program which you’ll have seven days to complete. You will also need to have your incorporated business in place or be signed up under someone else’s so you can begin working. Arise will additionally need to verify that you have all the equipment you need to meet their standards in order to do the job.

Equipment You’ll Need

• High speed internet
  • Basic telephone service through a dedicated line
  • Headset
  • An email account through an ISP (free email accounts are not OK to use)

Scheduling

Arise is known for being extremely flexible. However, they do require that you put in a minimum of 15 hours of work each week. The exact hours available you can grab will of course depend on the client, but there are usually options around the clock and all throughout the week, so you may be able to work things around your desired schedule.

Independent Contractor or Employee?

You are considered an Independent Contractor through Arise, so taxes are all your responsibility.

What locations are eligible?

You can get work through Arise if you are in the U.S. with the exception of California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, New York, and Oregon. If you are from Canada or the United Kingdom, you can go here to register with their sister company.

Feedback

Feedback is always very important. It’s good to get a general idea what experiences others have had before signing up, so I’m going to provide you with some more reading material below. I would suggest reading through the following (on the forums, note the date of each thread because some may provide outdated info):

Bottom Line

Arise makes it very, very clear that they offer a business opportunity and not employment. As a customer service professional, you can use Arise to get clients. As with any home business, there are costs involved in getting started. This is the difference in a work at home job and a home business that you form yourself.

Obviously, not everyone is going to be able to afford to do this. I would certainly not recommend it unless you have some faith that it will work out as well as the money to invest in everything or at the very least you find that it’s possible at any given time to work around most or some of the fees.

I have been researching legit work at home opportunities for several years now and what I am seeing over and over is that, fees or no fees, lots of people are successfully working at home thanks to this company. This is why I decided to go ahead and do a write up here to provide info about it as well as some other resources for further information so you can look everything over and decide whether or not this is for you. I am simply providing info about it as a jumping off point for you to make your own decision.

In addition to the links above, you can find plenty of detailed information at the Arise website.

If you have experience with Arise, good or bad, I would love your feedback in the comments on this opportunity!

1 Angie Nelson July 10, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Arise was one of the first places I worked when I started working from home. I only worked for them for a couple of months as their scheduling wasn’t my cup of tea. (In addition to those weekly hour requirements, there are often other scheduling requirements – usually a certain number of weekend hours or a minimum hour requirement during the client’s peak hours.) When you get two or three clients that can really become a challenge.

That being said, I wouldn’t say my experience was bad in any way. I do consider them the main reason I started recruiting private clients. I knew then it was possible to make good money from home, and I knew that there had to be better options out there for me…and I did have that business entity formed anyway. I may as well use it. ;)

2 Anna July 10, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Thanks for the info, Angie! Good to know there may be other hourly requirements apart from the flat 15 a week depending on the client. That’s definitely something to think about if having a certain schedule is really important.

3 Bernice July 11, 2012 at 3:25 am

Excellent post. But I did want to make one clarification with a statement. It was

Independent Contractor or Employee?

This is partly true. But you are not an independent contractor. You are considered a corporation, whether its an LLC, S-Corp, Corp etc. So taxes are not done quite the same as a standard independent contractor who is a self proprietorship. But yes taxes are your responsibilty.

Also I wanted to further explain due to people having to be incorporated, Arise is not allowed due to Federal IRS Law to provide any training, equipment etc to anyone. If they did, they would have to consider people employees etc. LiveOps went through this (even though they dont require incorporation) a while back with a huge class action law suit. There is a thin line between employee and ind. contractor/incorporated entity. But Arise does not take chances and treats everyone like an actual company doing business with another company. I know so many people think its crap to have to pay to work but that is not what you are doing. its no diff then if you were to open a pizza restaurant/delivery business. You would have to buy on your own all the equipment, pay for training on how to run and possibly make the pizza’s, pay your payroll and taxes. And if you got a contract with lets say a hotel that wanted your pizza delivery for room service, they would not pay for teaching you how to deliver to the hotel. That would be your responsibilty. This is no different. But so many cannot grasp that concept for some reason. I think its due to so many scams out there and everyone getting drilled in their heads “never pay to work” Well you are not paying to work. Most of the fees are for your corporation. And then monthly fee is like rent to use their phone and computer infastructure otherwise you would have to build and create your own based on the clients needs. And the training fees actually are determined by the end client. Because the end clients charge Arise when they have to train their employees, so therefore we all have to get charged also. They waive training fees at times when they really need to increase cus serv reps for a certain client quickly and just eat that. But due to fed law they cannot due that more then a few times a year.

No i dont work/contract for Arise and I never have. But I am very familiar with this process because I used to contract for Intuit doing taxes and this was a huge issue each year. But incorporating when working from home is a smart idea. The benefits out number the costs. And research each state. you can incorporate in any state you want. Doesnt have to be in the one where you live. And some states are way cheaper then others. Like Colorado. The total costs are only about $35. Where other states it can be up to $600 or more. And there are advantages and disadvantages for each state so do your research.

But again excellent post and explanation of the Arise process. Oh also for those hesistant about incorporationg, there are several SuperVirtualCorps under arise that will hire you as an employee or ind contractor therefore you wont have to pay a dime to work. Why would they pay all your fees? because they take out a small portion of your pay(not much at all) to cover those oosts and to make their profits etc. But for those not wanting to deal with the incorporation ordeal its a great option to test out working with Arise. And if you decide you like it you can always resign and then apply directly if you incorporate yourself.

4 Anna July 11, 2012 at 8:20 am

I really appreciate the clarification! It does sound as though signing up with an SVC would be an excellent way to try it out without investing too much money if you were hesitant to do that. I have heard before, as you said, that as far as taxes are concerned, incorporating yourself is not such a bad idea anyway for those thinking about doing it.

5 Miranda July 12, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I am so glad you covered Arise! I have attempted to do it myself multiple times on my site but I get so lost in all the different processes and steps!! This is so helpful!!

6 Anna July 12, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Haha, I know what you mean. I have started/stopped the process of reviewing Arise several times myself. I could not think of anything else to review so I just did the research and went for it :) I’m glad to finally have it covered here.

7 Shanika July 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I have work with Arise since 2007, yes it has its up and downs. But it has provided my family with steady income. It is sometimes hard to find hours on certain clients and some always have hours available. If you are looking into arise I would say do your research. I am under a SuperVirtualCorps because I didn’t want to deal with becoming incorporated. I am still an independent contractor and I can leave anytime and start my own if I wish. Honestly, the only thing is the training cost which is high, but some Super Virutal Corls will pay for your training, give you an discount voucher, or reimburse you after a certain amount of time. I also research in some forums about certain clients just to read the pros and cons and make my decision after that. Hope this helps

8 Anna July 13, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for chiming in, Shanika! It is good to get an idea of other’s experiences.

9 Katie Jones July 20, 2012 at 5:46 am

This is absolutely wonderful! Arise was one of the 1st companies I came across when I started looking for work at home opportunities, but could never wrap my head around the initial costs. Now that I’ve been freelancing, I see how it all works. This is definitely something I may start looking into for future work … it’s just the phone line has me going the other way simply because it’s an expense that my household can’t afford at the moment.

I really appreciate the detailed review as I’ve always been confused about the process, but I feel like I understand Arise so much better now. I’m thinking perhaps around tax time next year, I may have the extra funds to look further into this business opportunity!

10 Anna July 20, 2012 at 9:45 am

Thanks, Katie! Another great thing about Arise is that they have a lot of clients who need people solely for chat/email work :) So even better!

11 Chandra Collins July 22, 2012 at 8:20 am

I have been working for Arise from home for over 3 years now and love it. I am incorporated and hire agents to work under me. Most corporations charge 10% of your pay. But I only charge $15. I’m not trying to get rich…just help people. :)

I love that I can choose my own hours and there is only a 15 hour weekly commitment. I really have nothing bad to say about a company that will allow you to work from home in your pjs. : )

12 Chastity July 4, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I’m interested in applying for Arise and LiveOps but don’t have the Corporation. I saw your post and was wondering if you are still hiring agents to work under you, and if you would consider me.

13 Jen August 21, 2012 at 11:04 pm

A friend of mine has been working for them for the past 5 years. If not the best, one of the most reputable in the business. I completed the entire process and and just could not afford the high cost certification and other fees.

14 Anna August 22, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Yes, those fees are costly. Some people avoid them by working for VSC/subcontractors for Arise.

15 mary reid December 7, 2012 at 1:21 am

I was just wondering how you would go about finding VSC/subcontractors that are willing to hire people so that you can avoid being incorporated with arise?

16 Erica February 2, 2013 at 6:16 am

Mary, you can Google “Arise Super VSC” or something along those lines. If you belong to any WAHM forums, you can do a search there too. I would also search YouTube. There a lot of people on there talking about their experiences with Arise and VSCs.

17 Bubbie July 28, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I started with Arise in 2010 and it has been the worst experience ever in my life. For two clients, I spent more money certifying that actually earning because there were no hours available after so many folks passed. The last client I was with I could not get my computer to work with their systems even though I has a fully compliant computer. So instead of helping me out, they terminated my SOW with that client and put on my record all the marks against me so I could never attempt to work with another client again. Prior to that, I had met all metrics for every client I worked for. If you are totally desperate, then go for it. Otherwise, this company is not worth the stress and expense. Fighting for hours is just ridiculous. In some cases, the hours were so sparse that they were gone within seconds of the schedule release to pick over. Most of the management does not care nor do they support you. I have no idea how so many make it to the level of PF. I have said my piece. Be cautious with this one.

18 Bubbie July 28, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Also, for you guys looking to contract under a Super VSC, most take a cut of your pay before they issue you a check. The typical fee is 10%. Plus, your pay is delayed in most cases another few days after all the other IBOs get paid because the VSC has to funnel that money through their account then to yours.

Also, if you are under a VSC, you will not see the pay listed in the portal of opportunities. You have to wait for your VSC to let you know what that is and by that time, the opportunity is gone.

Again, be cautious with this one. Don’t believe the hype of the pay. If you are under a VSC, you are lucky to make $8-$9 an hour and on top of that you pay for your internet connection and for a compliant computer.

19 Mompreneur September 3, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I have been with Arise for a year now and with the same client. I cannot say my experience has been bad but it has not been great either. In addition to the fees mentioned in this review, you will have to pay for the client training. At times vouchers are offered that may cover the entire training fee or only a portion. Also, you definitely have to do your research if you decide to work under an existing IBO. There are IBO’s out there that will rip you off and Arise will not help. I am with an IBO that was Arise’s first premier IBO and was invited to become their first IBO therefore, she has alot of knowledge and connections and gets things done when you have an issue. If you choose to go with Arise, be sure to have more than one client because if you do not meet your SOW metrics, Arise will either terminate your SOW without notice or if they decide not to renew your SOW you will only get approximately one week notice. Atleast if you have another client you won’t be without any income if you lose your SOW. I agree with some of the other comments that depending on the client you work for if they are not in peak season there will be very few hours to pick from. The only way to get around that is to exceed your SOW metrics and you will be allowed to pre-select hours before regular posting hours date. For example, if posting hours for the client is Thursday, 8:30pm and you earn pre-select you can post for hours as early as Tuesday morning.

Again, my experience hasn’t been that bad but I thought Arise would be more organized and have things together better than they do. I believe my experience hasn’t been that bad because I have an IBO who knows what she’s doing and knows all the higher ups in Arise and when she needs a problem fixed she can go directly to those individuals.

20 Courtenay September 9, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Hi. Can you tell me the name of your IBO? I am exploring the idea of working with Arise also.

21 Mary April 11, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Hi,
Who is your IBO? Do you have her contact info?

22 Marryilyn October 15, 2013 at 3:09 am

Bubbie comment is right.
Also if you are doing this for your main income, becareful. Their management doesnt care about the employee(they can name it whatever they want and using loophole to avoid paying tax, benefit etc, we know all are employees).
Therefore it is part time to supplement income is alright if you can take all the heats from the job. Hours are limited all the time, unless it is holiday, but only one holiday per year, so you can go figure.

23 Dahnay March 6, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I have worked with an Arise client for four months now. I do not have anything bad to say about Arise, but the client that I am working with is definitely difficult to grasp because there is so much to learn in such a short amount of time and most of its customers are upset.
It is difficult meeting the contract terms when dealing with irate customers.

As far as the costs / investments, I have absolutely NO complaints about it! I got background checks, training, a headset, etc. all under $80…how? Because Arise constantly has specials going on, you just have to catch them at the right time.

I like and enjoy Arise, but I would like to work with another client and do Email / Chat only and no phone.

24 Misty March 29, 2014 at 6:25 pm

We have serviced through Arise for several months now. One thing to keep in mind that as a contractor instead of a direct employee it is very common to have to pay for your own background, training, and certifications.
Already having a company made it easy to join as an IBO with Arise. There are many companies out there that are work at home scams, Arise is not one of them. Although the cost of some of the training courses are more expensive than others, it levels out in the long run because of making more per hour at home than one could in a traditional brick and mortar business.
We researched very thoroughly before investing in Arise and found it very worth while. It isn’t a get rich quick job, it is a legitimate work at home opportunity that does require training, certification and cost for training.
If anyone has any questions, needs any assistance or is just looking for a great IBO to join that is here for you at all times please email us info@wccomputersolutions.com. We will be more than happy to get you going, even if you are looking to incorporate yourself, we will give you free advice as much as we can help you out to get you in the right direction.

25 noneofurbiz May 27, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I worked for arise and arise along with my ibo didn’t pay me for all the hours I worked. I now work for working solutions they paid for my training, background check, drug test etc and for ALL the work I do.

26 Jo July 27, 2014 at 11:29 pm

But working solutions does not provide steady work, they even say on their website that they do not recommend using them as your primary source of income

27 Renee May 28, 2014 at 2:08 am

If anyone is looking for an IBO, we are accepting new and transferred CSP’s. Check out our website at http://www.baileyvirtualsolutions.com