Become a “Zirtual” Assistant

in Typing & Clerical, Virtual Assisting

become a zirtual assistantI’ve been doing some reading up on a new work at home opportunity I came across the other day. Zirtual may hire you to join their team as a virtual assistant if you meet all the requirements and successfully make it through their application process.

The website is extremely well-designed, informative, and professional and the company has a strong social media presence. They also have a company blog that gets updated regularly. All of these things make me feel good about this company.

I have additionally been doing some reading some over at Work Place Like Home (which is where I first learned about Zirtual), and from what I can tell, they are fairly selective when it comes to who they hire.

How It Works

If you’re hired, you’ll be performing tasks for Zirtual’s clients. These tasks typically fall into three main categories which include research, reservations, and scheduling. Their clients are mostly busy professionals who are in need of more free time, and as a “zirtual” assistant, you can provide that for them. It appears to me that you are essentially kind of a cross between a virtual and personal assistant/concierge for the company’s clients.

Pay

I always like to find information on pay when I can, but with this particular opportunity the amount is not listed on the website. I did find another website with a little bit of information listing pay at $15 per hour, but I cannot confirm this is accurate.

Required Skills

Zirtual has a long list of required skills for potential assistants. They expect:

• Prompt responses to clients’ questions and requests
  • Internet savvy
  • Strong organizational skills
  • Strong internet research skills
  • Strong communication skills
  • Strong problem solving skills
  • A high-speed internet connection
  • Solid phone access; landline or dependable cell phone
  • Availability during working hours to respond to and engage with your clients
  • Familiarity with standard assistant tools like Google docs, Gcal, Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, etc.
  • Strong desire to help people and a positive attitude

The company also advertises to their clients that all of the assistants are thoroughly screened and are college-educated, so I’m assuming that if you are not either a college graduate, currently in college, or at least have some college education, you may not be able to get on here. You can consider it an advantage if you have any prior office or assistant experience in your background, but that is not a prerequisite to getting hired if you have the right skills.

Equipment

You need a computer, internet access, and a phone. Remember that some of the work you do will be scheduling appointments, reservations, booking flights, etc., so a phone line will probably be necessary for these reasons.

Scheduling

I can’t find a lot of details on how scheduling works (or if there is a set schedule), but it appears that it is part-time, very flexible work. Zirtual advertises this position as being perfect for stay at home moms, college students, and really anyone who needs flexible work at home for whatever reason.

Location

Zirtual hires people from the U.S. only at this time. People from all states appear to be welcome to apply.

The Application Process

First off, you have to fill out the application on their site. They ask a lot of questions, including the standard basic information, how many hours you can work, and other things like “What motivates you?” and “Why should we hire you?” Sort of like what you might get asked in a face-to-face job interview.

After you do this, you may get an email from the company inviting you to proceed to Phase One, which from what I can gather involves creating a short video of yourself, mainly just talking about yourself so they can get a sense of your personality, etc. Before you panic about this, let me just say that I do kind of understand even though I know many of you won’t like the idea of making a video.  They can’t “meet” you in person, so this is their way of doing that virtually. When you apply for a brick and mortar job, you have to go for a job interview which allows your potential employers to meet you face to face. So this is really no different.

If you make it through the first phase, the second phase is apparently a skills test of some sort and some sample tasks. Someone on Work Place Like Home mentioned having an interview via Skype as well, although I am not sure at what point in the hiring process this occurs. They also do a background check on you which involves checking you out on social media, so you  might want to make sure you look as professional as possible on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, or whatever other accounts you have.

After going through all the steps of the application process, they should let you know something one way or another as to whether or not you’ve been hired. People who did not make it in report receiving a rejection notice, so it’s good they don’t leave you hanging.

I do feel I should mention that at least two people in the comments below were given awesome feedback from their interviewers on their sample tasks they were asked to do and thought they more or less had the job after also completing the video interview — only to receive a rejection notice a week or so later. And not only a rejection notice, but an auto-reply rejection notice that isn’t even that personal.

So don’t get too hopeful until you definitely know one way or another if you can begin working or not.

Getting Started

If the idea of working from home as a zirtual assistant intrigues you, just visit this page to check for openings. They may or may not be currently hiring.

Good luck, and please please do come back and share your progress/experience here so it will help out others. Thanks!

1 Shon July 31, 2012 at 5:53 pm

After you complete the video you are asked to allow the company to complete a background check on you. They simply refer you to a service that asks for your personal information such as facebook account, linkedin account, name, address and phone number. At the same time they ask you to complete three tasks like you were already hired so they can gauge whether or not you are fit for the job. The three tasks are pretty simple and serve as an example of what you might be doing. This is as far in the process that I’ve gotten and I’m waiting on my results. Had no clue there were so many steps for applying for this job. Like you, I’ve found the internet to be useless in regards to reviews for Zirtual from people who are currently working or have worked with them. It makes me wonder if Zirtual has a strict policy concerning not leaking information and remove such reviews from Google searches. Hmm.

2 Heather August 18, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Things to consider…………I never apply to any job utilizing my social webpage. That is information they should NOT have access to. Would you invite your boss to join your personal FB page? Your personal life should always remain separate from professional. Not to mention, the biases and discriminatory conduct that should follow. While it is wonderful to network, it must be kept in perspective.

3 Shon July 31, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Update* Just got approved with the final step which is an interview via skype. I’m assuming it will be a phone chat and not a video chat.

4 Anna August 2, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Good luck Shon! I appreciate your providing the additional details!

5 Atlcharm August 10, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Just completed my Skype Video interview. I think that is the final stage. I went through all of the stuff that Shon went through.

6 melanie January 18, 2013 at 7:30 pm

was it a phone call or video chat?

7 Keisha Nicole October 6, 2012 at 1:03 am

Did any of you ladies get hired? I did the Skype interview the other day and I haven’t anything back? I’m keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

8 Yolanda November 8, 2012 at 9:08 am

I just finished the Video interview step I am waiting on the next step to continue in the process. Hopefully this goes well I am keeping my fingers crossed.

9 Anna November 8, 2012 at 9:11 am

Good luck, Yolanda! I hope you make it in!

10 melanie January 16, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I have a video interview coming up next week. What kinds of questions did they ask you guys? guess I kind of know what to expect from the types of things they asked on the previous for,s.. just wanna be as prepared as possible!

11 ZA August 11, 2013 at 12:38 am

Zirtual pays slightly more than 50% profit share. So you earn half of what the clients pay for the service each month. The prices for the service levels are on the website. There’s no schedule, per se, but you’re basically expected to keep office hours (8-5, 9-6), but you don’t have to be tethered to your phone or computer. The more clients you have or the higher service level you take on, the busier you can expect to be, but it is very, very flexible and easy going for the most part.

In the interview they want to see that you are flexible, have customer service skills and that you are well-rounded or offer some kind of expertise in an area. And yes you must be either college-educated or be in progress of earning a degree. While you work individually, it is very team oriented and you’re never left without help and back up. It’s a really awesome opportunity and you can really meet some interesting people.

12 Anna T August 12, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Thank you for this useful information! I have shared it with my readers.

Someone had a question that I can’t say for sure it works if you wouldn’t mind answering when you get the chance –

Just how flexible is Zirtual? Like for example if you have doctor’s appointments, sudden family emergencies, or need to be out of town unexpectedly for whatever reason? Can you just not pick up any work for the time you will be out, or does Zirtual sort of pick your hours for you?

The person who needed to know this is a parent and sometimes when you’re a parent unexpected things come up that might hinder working during regular business hours.

Thanks in advance!

13 ZA August 20, 2013 at 1:02 pm

It is highly flexible. I’m a single parent of two, so I NEED flexibility! The lowest plans only require next day turnaround, and depending on the clients’ needs, most clients are very understanding and will give you tasks that they won’t need completed for a few days out. So far I’ve only taken Premium level clients, who have a next-day turnaround priority so I can maintain maximum flexibility. I’m easing my way in to Executive level, who have same day priority. The best advice is during your intro call with your client, let them know how you work and the best way for them to submit tasks.

You are in total control of your hours and how you work, but you are expected to keep your clients’ needs at a priority. Zirtual is also really big on agent happiness as well. They never want you to feel overwhelmed or feel like you have not flexibility, and so they emphasize to clients that you are a human with a life outside of Zirtual, so clients don’t have unrealistic expectations.

14 ZA August 20, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Oh and yes, if you need to be “out of the office” for something, you just contact your account manager. You’ll just direct your clients to an alternate email address where they can send tasks while you’re away. But usually, even if you need to spend most of your day away, you may not even need to let your clients know, especially if you keep up with email via cell phone.

I always just shoot my clients an email letting them know I got their request and I’ll work on it asap. then I just work on it when I get the opportunity and get it to them by COB the next day. Most tasks aren’t that involved and don’t usually go over more than an hour to complete.

15 Lisa August 15, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I am actually not happy with Zirtual. I went through the long application process for Zirtual, did my due diligence in researching the company and aced my interview. I was offered a position, and was told I was on the waiting list for certification. I was ecstatic to learn that I was a part of the family, and told a lot of naysayers that they were wrong about Zirtual. However, the joke is on me because when I did not hear about the waiting list, I sent an email to inquire. I received a response where Zirtual apologized, said I was not forgotten and they were learning more about me. A week later, I was sent a rejection letter. Because I was accepted by Zirtual I did not accept another position to avoid conflict of interest. I am very disappointed and feel foolish.

16 Dana August 17, 2013 at 2:23 am

I applied for Zirtual and was so happy when they said that I did great on all of my assignments and let me get through to the last part of the process(the interview). I got all ready and everything thinking it was a web interview on skype. Here it was just a phone interview on skype. A couple weeks later, I got rejected. They pretty much acted like I got the job and the interview was just one more step for me to complete. Really worked hard on my tasks, and they said I did a really great job and I thought I got along great with the interviewer, but at the end after waiting for this place forever every step of the way, it ended up being a total waste of time, but it happens. I was pretty nervous at the interview and probably could have done better. I am never really great at interviews unfortunately.

17 Anna T August 17, 2013 at 7:35 am

Sounds like your experience was similar to Lisa’s! A good reminder for people not to count on being hired there until they see whether or not they get that rejection letter. Thanks for sharing, Dana.

18 Heather August 18, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Out of curiosity, I decided to apply with Zirtual. Roughly one week later, they sent an email that gives you a task and demands it be fulfilled within 24 hours. Okay, that is the first red-flag! It is asinine to expect that the recipient of an email will receive it and complete a time constraining task with no prior warning. I mean seriously……..do they think people have nothing else to do than stare at their “inbox.” Thus, I made the suggestion that they achieve “professional” contact with said recipient, and then, they can request the task be completed within a specific time allotment.

Next, second red-flag, the ridiculous and extremely unorthodox home-video introductory of some barely adult age folks. It was very far from displaying a company of professional procedure. I was not impressed.

Then, I decided to give some feedback (i.e. make recommendations) because Zirtual needs desperately to demonstrate some professionalism if they want to attain high caliber employees. I am well educated, and I have a wealth of experience so I expect to work with the same.

Lastly, I am not worrying about receiving a response. My thought is, I will be a virtual assistant only for a well designed company that exercises utmost professional conduct. In fact, I have zero gripes about online or telecommute work as it is desirable due to flexibility, but I am not rearranging my life for teeny-boppers to make demands on my time. I would rather transcribe docs or tag videos for low rates whilst controlling my direct environment than put-up with that nonsense! That is my 2-cents.

19 Candace August 28, 2013 at 1:51 pm

The above comment made me write this.

From my personal experience with Zirtual, they have been nothing but professional and helpful. The 24 hour deadline for the task email is a realistic request since as an assistant you will have to reply to your clients quickly after receiving their task request. Wouldn’t you want the same from your own assistant?

The video again, is so they can “meet” you since everything is done virtually. I don’t see why “teeny-boppers” and “barely adult-age folks” is used to describe the company in any way.

The interview process IS time consuming but again, remember that it’s so they can make sure this kind of job is for you. The higher-ups were all virtual assistants themselves at one point so they know what it’s like and make sure to provide you with all the resources that may be needed.

Zirtual may be a start up company but it’s professionalism and attention to detail really stands out among the other companies that I have checked out.

Good luck to everyone who applies!

20 Bubbie October 4, 2013 at 7:48 pm

First, the two people that are in charge of hiring appear of barely legal age. Just that alone makes it hard to believe that they have enough actual human resources experience to make appropriate hiring decisions.

Secondly, the lack of professionalism on their part is that Zirtual constantly posts they are hiring, but you frequently see in WAH forums comments of people being hired to then see a rejection letter or they never hear one way or the other if they are hired following an interview. Applicants on this forum are even complaining so it does not take long to figure out that this company is indecisive and fails to communicate. Who wants the frustration of working for such a wishy washy mentality? You would think that they have a huge pool of applicants they already extended an offer to and later rejected for unknown reasons before posting they are hiring again.

21 Van August 30, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I have no idea what Zirtual is looking for. I have over 20 years of office experience working for high profile lawyers (how much more demanding can you get) and a degree. I also have been working from home for the last five years. I survived every step of the application process to ultimately be turned down after the interview. Good luck on getting one of the coveted jobs with Zirtual. It would have been an awesome fit for me. I am seriously bummed. :(

22 Dog Walking By Janel (@DogWalkingHBG) December 12, 2013 at 5:06 pm

A lot of people who seem highly qualified have posted here (and every where else) that their interview process went wonderfully. They completed the “sample task” and got glowing reviews. Then, seemingly, and out of no where, they are rejected.

This is just a theory… but maybe this company is getting interviewees to do free work for them and calling it a “sample task”?

23 Jen January 22, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Bingo. They clearly are using simple tasks to get people to work for free while they keep their company afloat.

24 Lisa September 3, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Anna T,

I was accepted I received the letter and everything. I was put on a waiting list for certification along with quite a number of others who had been accepted. When I did not hear back from Zirtual that is when I sent a letter, I was still accepted etc. A week later I received a rejection letter. That is unprofessional.

25 Bubbie October 4, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Zirtual posted on Facebook today that they are hiring again. Really? How about all those folks that have posted that they received offers to work to ultimately be rejected and in just the last few weeks. I then saw a couple of complaints about the hiring process and few hours later that post by Zirtual was gone.

Zirtual’s hiring process is just too time consuming to go through the frustration and disappointment.

26 sara October 9, 2013 at 8:03 pm

I feel the same way. They make you feel like you have the position. You jump through hoops for them, only to be turned down. Not worth it in my opinion.

27 Josephine December 5, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I went as far as going through their certification process only to be told I didn’t meet their standards. The whole process took about 5 weeks. They told me I get a $100 for going through the training which I haven’t received yet. I felt so used so I sent them an email venting my frustrations and questioning the Zirtual brand. Their system is set up such that any email you send through their system is also posted on their internal dashboard, so my email may have been posted there and seen by all, even though that was not my intention at all. The next day I get a polite response from one of the executives, which was not sent to my personal email but was just posted to their internal dashboard to keep up appearances. I just happened to see the email response because I was attempting to delete all the Zirtual stuff from my computer and I realized my account was still active. If they genuinely cared about how I felt, they would have made an effort to send the response to my personal email, after all I don’t work for Zirtual. My point is this; they make it seem like they care about people but most of it is putting on a facade. But that is my personal experience with Zirtual, yours may be different. I am moving on after about 5 weeks of wasting my time!

28 Amanda December 12, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I had the same experience with them Josephine. Completed all the training and was dropped for unknown reasons after training was over. All they told me was they are basically extremely picky and I didn’t fit what they wanted. Why waste 5 weeks “training” someone then?
On a side note, I did receive the $100 training pay but it took almost a month to get and I had to followup with them before they sent it.

29 Keisa December 6, 2013 at 8:10 am

Wow…sorry to see that so many are bitter. Zirtual is a wonderful company. I’ve had nothing but a professional experience as a ZA. Yes, the interview process is long but in a regular brick and mortar setting, especially corporate, it’s commonplace to have several interviews and/or assignments to complete before being hired. My husband has been in situations where he’s had SEVERAL interviews for a position and things have gone very well (to the point that he’s been a finalist) but he still was not hired for the job. Why? Because in the company’s opinion there was someone who was a better fit for the position at that time! Such is life. I don’t know why there is an expectation of the bar being lowered when it comes to work at home positions.

Also, what does the age of those hiring have to do with anything?? First of all, there are no “teeny-boppers” working for Zirtual and everyone that I’ve had the pleasure of interacting with has been MORE than competent at what they do. Secondly, if anything, this type of outdated reasoning is the complete opposite of what Zirtual is looking for as a progressive startup. They are looking for more than just “years of experience”; they are looking for overall perspectives and personalities that are a fit for the company and the clients.

30 Diane December 9, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Thanks to all who commented about Zirtual. This is the most information I’ve found about them. Based on what I’ve read I don’t think I will bother to apply.

I love this website! So much good information and advice.

31 Angelique December 11, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I have received and completed my first task for Zirtual, it was a travel task which was extremely easy to do as I usually book my parents travel arrangements and have also done so with a previous employer.

I am not in a position to be extremely nit-picky about applying for jobs, and I actually enjoy this type of work so i am hoping I get a position with Zirtual.

32 Angelique February 10, 2014 at 9:12 pm

I will not say that Zirtual is not legit or anything like that, but I will say this.
I have seen Zirtual hiring for MONTHS, even before I found this blog. But, after reading the comments it seems they go beyond being picky about who they hire and into the ridiculous category, they have people do a task for them, and either deny them after or make them go through a long application process and then deny them.
If this was a rare occurrence it would be understandable, but this is something that happens to almost everyone that has commented on this blog post, no matter their level of experience or education, which begs the question, what are they looking for?

I am aware that even after going through an application process that you are not guaranteed the position, but their level of denied applicants is rather high for a company that is constantly claiming to be in need of new Assistants.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but Zirtuals track record leaves a lot to be desired.

33 Mayra Zamores December 12, 2013 at 9:47 am

I have also completed my first task for Zirtual, which was pretty easy to do and I love doing this category of work. I might have the disadvantage of no experience in this field but I hope they see my drive and eagerness to learn and prove myself. I keeping my fingers crossed!!!

34 Marcia March 5, 2014 at 2:23 pm

If I get hired by Zirtual, and later decide to work on my own as a virtual assistant, what effect will that have on Zirtual, or would Zirtual sue me?

35 Anna T March 5, 2014 at 3:30 pm

It doesn’t seem like that would happen, Marcia. Do you mean work on your own as a VA while keeping your VA job at Zirtual, too? Or quit Zirtual and then work on your own? Either way though I doubt you could get sued.

36 Marcia March 6, 2014 at 12:47 am

Thanks, Anna. I was thinking of working with Zirtual for maybe a year to gain more experience so that I could branch out on my own as a freelance virtual assistant. Perhaps after the first year, working less at Zirtual and more independently, until completely cutting the umbilical cord–if that makes any sense.

37 Shon May 9, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Just saw this company listed on the jobs leads section. I came here and saw that I had never updated my interview experience with them from almost two years ago! So here goes, if anyone cares… I had a video interview with one of their employees, a young guy. I felt the interview went well, but I got awkward vibes from the person who interviewed me. In the end, I didn’t get the job and wasn’t given much of a reason why. I had to follow up nearly three weeks later after being promised I would hear something either way within a week. I did some digging and found out the company wasn’t as professional and experienced as I thought they were. It was very much a start up in 2012, even found some stuff on the guy that interviewed me that was kind of off putting. Made me wonder a lot…. That being said, I took a look at their website just now and it seems they did a revamp. Even listing an hourly wage instead of a profit share like I was told during my interview. There are also set hours listed. It looks promising and it’s possible this company has moved in the right direction. Based on the comments here, it doesn’t look like many people have been hired. I don’t have any plans to reapply to this company, but I would be interested in reading the experience of someone who was successful in getting hired by them.