U Haul is a company pretty much everyone has heard of that does occasionally hire people to work from home as sales and reservations representatives. This is a phone job so you would have to have a quiet background as you do with most other types of phone work from home. As of the date of this blog post, they do appear to be hiring for this position so now is a good time to apply if this interests you.
How much can you make working for U Haul from home?
According to the ad posted, with base pay and the bonus structure, you would probably average around $14 to $15 per hour, but the base pay, minus bonuses, is somewhere between $7.50 and $8.50 per hour (I’ve seen both rates quoted). You get bonuses for booking rentals. Also, this is an employee position, not independent contractor, so you are paid for your training time. There are also some benefits you may end up being eligible for, like medical, dental, life, 401K and more if you are considered for a full-time, permanent position.
How long does training last?
Training lasts four weeks and is paid. You also get bonus of $50 after you complete all four weeks of training.
What type of work do you do?
You will answer questions from customers who are calling in with inquiries about U Haul products and services and you may also be scheduling reservations from customers for U Haul trucks, storage buildings, and other equipment.
What are the qualifications?
You need to be good with people on the phone and also fairly computer literate. A typing speed of at least 25 words per minute is required. You do not have to have prior call center experience to get this job, but it is preferred. Also, you must be at least 16 years old with either a high school diploma or GED.
What are the technical requirements?
- A computer with Windows XP or higher or not (Mac not acceptable)
- Cable or DSL internet connection, wired — no wireless connections can be used
- A headset (you must buy your own unless you already have one, but you can get these for pretty cheap)
- U Haul uses VOIP (voice over internet protocol) for answering calls, so you don’t need your landline or cell phone but you will need to be able to download the VOIP software to your computer
- Your upload and download speed needs to meet certain requirements before you may apply, but they give you a link on the application page to test this and ensure that your system is up to the standard
What is scheduling like?
Right now, U Haul is hiring for part-time workers. They need people who can work at least 32 hours per week and some weekends. They have several different shifts available to work on all seven days of the week.
How do people like working for U Haul?
I’ve read a lot of positive things. There are many who say that they enjoy this job because it isn’t very stressful compared to other types of phone work from home and also the hours are very flexibile. However, I have seen some complaints about the pay. It’s fairly low unless you do get the bonuses.
Where do you apply?
You can visit this link to apply to be a work from home sales and reservations agent for U Haul.