Merchandising for American Greetings

in Flexible Offline Work, Merchandising, Non-Phone

Merchandising for American GreetingsIf you saw my post yesterday on merchandising for Hallmark, you might be interested to know that you can also do greeting card merchandising for American Greetings. The work is similar — you stock cards, order cards, and straighten up displays. They give you a handheld scanner to use for doing inventory. The work is all part-time and done on your own schedule provided that the stores you are to visit are open when you choose to work. Read this post about merchandising if you need more information on what it actually is.

How much does American Greetings pay for merchandising?

American Greetings does not have the rate of pay up on their website, but I’m reading it is rather low. Most people don’t report earning more than $7 to $8 an hour. Also, you are not reimbursed for your gas mileage so working at this rate might not be worthwhile for you to do even for just some extra cash if you are having to drive a good distance away from home to do the work. If you are assigned stores that are kind of close to home, it may be worthwhile if extra cash is all you’re needing and the work sounds enjoyable to you.

How many hours per week do most people work?

The work is all part-time so in most cases you are probably not going to work more than 10 to 20 hours per week. Some people say that the weeks surrounding the holidays can get very busy and during those times you might actually get in 40 hours or close to it.

Pros

Working on your own time! As with most merchandising jobs, you do the work whenever you have the time. If you are with kids during the day and have a spouse who is home in the evenings, you can just do your merchandising work in the evenings when your spouse gets home. If it works out best for you to do your work during the day, do it during the day. I think the best thing about merchandising work in general is the flexible schedule.

This kind of job also sounds fairly enjoyable to me. I like working at home, but sometimes the idea of doing something flexible like this that involves getting out of the house sounds kind of nice.

Cons

Low pay. I know that there are a lot of other merchandising jobs that actually pay well, but these greeting card companies in general offer a rate of pay that is definitely on the lower end.

Minimal hours. The work is part-time and you rarely ever get to put in any extra time. Some weeks you may only get in about 10 hours (or fewer) total.

I read on Glass Door that American Greetings does not give you your merchandising schedule for the week until roughly one or two days before the week starts. Some people might find that inconvenient.

How to Apply

Go here to apply. Please keep in mind that American Greetings may or may not have a need for merchandisers in your area at this time.

1 Lisa Mills November 1, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Sounds like an “extra money” opportunity. Would be nice if they’d reimburse you for your gas though. I like that you can work on your own time!

2 Victoria - Ozarks Crescent Mural November 2, 2011 at 3:28 am

I just got done applying! Wish me luck. It sounds like a great job.

3 Anna November 2, 2011 at 6:35 am

I think so too. It would be something fun/different to do outside the home.

4 Jean December 31, 2011 at 10:46 am

Are you sure you can work at your own convenience? When I was on both sites I was reading it was saying something about set hours. I was trying to figure which one I want to apply for. Is anyone here working for either Hallmark or American Greetings doing this? I have a 3 yr old I would need to arrange babysitting for. I work much better on my own than someone hovering over me so are you on your own or do you have someone like a supervisor tagging along with you? ty for anymore info anyone can give.

5 Anna December 31, 2011 at 10:59 am

With most merchandising jobs, it’s very independent work and you can do the job at any time of the day you want provided the store is open and you also would work alone, but they may give you a time frame, like a certain number of days, that you have to get your assignment(s) done by. This was my understanding that it also works this way with this company (and Hallmark), but maybe someone who is with one or the other will chime in with more details.

If you decided to go ahead and apply, I’m sure that the people at either company could answer all your questions if you make it to the interview portion of the hiring process. Good luck!

6 Anna December 31, 2011 at 11:03 am

I think I am going to email them and ask about these things because I want to make 100 percent sure I have the correct info. I’ll let you know what I find out.

7 Anna December 31, 2011 at 11:09 am

OK, I sent the email. I’m not sure how long it will take them to get back with me, but I’ll let you know.

I was reading on their site and it says “work within the assigned hours” — I am pretty sure that the assigned hours are probably just when the store is open, but I sent the message just to be sure.

8 mclibby January 20, 2012 at 10:21 am

I use to work for Hallmark and I really liked it. The hours are as flexible as you can get. You work alone, except when you are being trained in the beginning. You work when you want to, as long as the work gets done. Usually you work about 15 hours per week, depending on how many stores you are responsible for (usually 2-3 stores). You are paid for mileage as well. You visit each store atleast once a week, sometimes alittle more if there is a holiday coming (Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day).

9 Jean January 20, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Sorry it’s taken me awhile to get back here. ty Anna for searching this out. Ty mclibby for the info. I applied for both companies since Hallmark stated they weren’t hiring in my area so applied for American Greetings a week later.

10 Jean March 27, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I am in training with American Greetings. My boss was upfront with me I wouldn’t be making a lot of money but it’s a fun job but a lot to it for such little pay.

11 Julie L. August 18, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I applied and received an email about an automated interview. Does anyone know if this is the only interview? Or will there be an in-person one? Or live telephone interview? Thanks.