Work at Home for 1-800-Flowers.com

in Customer Service, Phone Jobs

work at home for 1-800-flowersI have heard a great deal over the years about home customer service positions with 1-800-Flowers.com, so I decided to get some information posted on this work at home opportunity today. Please keep in mind that this company hires seasonally, so they may or may not need applicants at the time you read my review. I recommend keeping tabs on their employment page here to see when they are taking applicants. The work involves processing transactions over the phone, possibly some sales, and addressing and dealing with customer problems and concerns.

Payment Details

• Pay is $9+ per hour, may vary depending on your state
  • Extra incentives may be given on top of your base pay for selling extra items to customers
  • You will be paid for your training
  • Pay is via check or direct deposit bi-monthly
  • You are hired as an employee, so taxes will be taken out of your earnings

Basic Requirements

• 1-800-Flowers only hires people from specific states. Not sure if or how often the states change, but at the moment these are listed on their website: Arizona, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon
  • Must be 18 or older
  • Must have a minimum of a high school diploma or GED
  • Previous customer service experience is a plus
  • Must be computer literate, have familiarity with instant messaging, and type a minimum of 35 wpm
  • Must be able to provide a quiet background while you work

Technical Requirements

The tech requirements are a pretty long list on their website, but here are the high spots:

• Cable or DSL internet only. VoIP is acceptable.
  • minimum of a pentium 4 processor
  • Dedicated phone line with no features must be used
  • Corded traditional landline phone only. No cell and no cordless phones.
  • USB & telephone headset are both required
  • Windows XP, Vista, Or Windows 7 are all OK. Nothing older than XP.

Scheduling

• Primarily full-time work (up to as much as 50 hours per week)
  • You must be available to take calls six days a week
  • Shifts are generally 10 to 12 hours long
  • Busy seasons are Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, and Christmas
  • The position is temporary!

What Past and Current Workers Say

Most seem to enjoy the work and say the training is very well handled and the company is professional, but there are many who complain about the long hours. And I can see why — if you’re doing 50 hours per week worth of phone work, that is a lot, even when you’re doing it from home.

Application Process

If this opportunity interests you, you may want to check back on this page to see when they are hiring for the next season.  As of the date of this blog post, I do not believe they are hiring, but they may begin hiring within the next few months for the Christmas season. To inquire and move forward with applying for the temporary work from home customer service opportunity with 1-800-flowers.com you will have to email careers@1800flowers.com with your name, email, phone number, and state of residence. If they are interested, you may be contacted back to take their assessment and schedule a telephone interview.

1 Katie Jones August 19, 2011 at 6:27 am

Sounds like a really good opportunity for those who are in the states they hire. Would probably be a stressful job at times because of the seasonal aspect, but very good money!

2 Carla Easley August 19, 2011 at 11:52 am

OOh no! They’re not offering employment in Virginia anymore. I wonder what happened.

3 Lisa August 19, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Interesting. My dad was asking me about working from home with 1-800-Flowers. I had no idea the hour requirements were so long. I don’t think someone his age could handle it, but it sounds like a great opportunity for young chickens!

4 Anna August 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I’ve read they are extremely busy when those certain seasons come around, and I guess that’s why they require such long hours. I don’t really think this would be that ideal for someone with kids at all unless they were in school all day or in daycare. Just not enough flexibility with the hours.

5 Judy November 18, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I applied and could not believe the 150 questions they ask , not one question was anything to do with taking orders or about flowers. I’m retired florist of 54 years and they said I was not qualified. Makes one wonder. When had my shop they called us each week with orders!!

6 leighbbrown January 26, 2014 at 10:27 am

The questions they ask have nothing to do with “flowers” because the questions are to determine how you would handle “Any” customer service issue……they would have given you the info you needed about “flowers”, but the questions determine if you are flexible, a good listener, patient, compassionate, and all of the other attributes one needs to deal with customer issues….every call would not be about just the flowers they sell, but about the order itself, or the billing issue, or the payment process, or tracking orders, etc. The questions are actually a good weeding out process that determines whether or not you have the personality for this or the stamina to stay with it for the long haul.

7 Cathy November 19, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I have heard, from a few people who actually worked for 1-800 flowers that they are pretty stinky about pay. A lot of long hours are def required, which has the potential for Ok money, but if they are going to fight someone over their pay, forget it….