Website User Testing – Earn $10 Per Test

in Extra Cash, Non-Phone, Website Usability Testing

Website User TestingThere are a lot of sites popping up lately that will allow you to sign up and earn money for testing out websites. Today I have decided to do a review of Usertesting.com. While I would say that doing this type of work is extra money only, it could be a good bit of extra money — which means this might be a very nice “egg” to have access to! Here is more about how this works:

What You Do

Website user testing involves using an online screen recorder. This is something you don’t have to buy — once you’re signed up, you’ll have access to it through the User Testing website. The screen recorder will make note of everything going on on your computer screen as you explore a website, including your mouse movements, the links you click, and so forth. Companies pay User Testing to get users to test out their websites so that they can watch what areas may be confusing to people. Thanks to the online screen recorder, the people behind the website you are testing will be able to see everything you see, which helps them better understand what areas on their site need fixing and what areas are good to go. They can also hear your comments as you browse their site, so as you can imagine this is a service that would be very helpful to a person building a new site.

How much can you earn?

User Testing will pay you $10 for every website test you do. They says it only takes about 15-20 minutes to do a test. You’ll receive your payment via Paypal approximately seven days after you finish your test. Paypal is the only method of payment used.

What does a test involve?

Testing involves using the online recorder to record your use of the website and then filling out answers to four questions about your experience with the site.

Equipment Needed

Either a PC or Mac will work. If you are accepted to do tests, you’ll also need a microphone so your voice can be recorded. If you want to apply and do not currently have a microphone, you can sign up using your telephone to record your voice. But once you’re hired, you will have to get a microphone for the paid tests (microphones are NOT expensive!).

Applying

You must be at least 18 years old to do website user testing. You’ll have to sign up by filling out a form with various info about yourself so they can better match you to potential websites. You’ll also have to do a sample website test, and this is where you can use a telephone to record your voice if you don’t have a microphone. All of this is easy to do. If they like your sample, you’ll start getting email notifications about tests that you can do.

Likelihood of Getting Work

You are not guaranteed tests, which is why I said this is really just an extra money thing. Some days you might have website test invitations in your email and some days you might not. A lot of it depends on your demographic … sometimes they might be looking for people who are from a certain area or who are a certain age. If you don’t fit the bill, you won’t get an invite to that particular test. So if you get a test, it’s a pretty quick $10! But you can’t depend on it to be there.

Can you do this from any country?

As long as you can get paid with Paypal, I believe you can sign up. They do state on their website that if you’re doing test outside the U.S., you might need to have a really good internet connection because of the large video files you’ll have to upload.

What do people think about this opportunity?

People love doing this! I have read mostly good feedback about it. The only complaint I ever see is where people don’t get tests often enough. But the frequency of test invitations seems to vary so much … I also saw where some people said it’s not unusual for them to get two or three test invites per day.

What do I think?

I think I would love to try website user testing, but I can’t because I have a microphone and it doesn’t work. I can’t seem to get microphones to work with my computer :( I think if you meet the requirements and you need something like this for extra money, you should definitely sign up.

Want to try it out? You can sign up here.

Want more fun ideas for earning online? Like me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter and I’ll make sure you’re always in the know!

1 Traci Bell July 22, 2011 at 11:29 am

My advice to anyone for this is to pay attention to the instructions for the test and read everything before taking the test. Also watch the sample test carefully. This is one of a few of these companies, but they want people who can really talk non-stop while viewing the website and to genuinely critique the sites. Great information Anna.

2 Anna July 22, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Thanks for the helpful advice! I know that will help some people who try it. I haven’t ever done anything like this so didn’t have any advice of my own to offer on how to make it work well.

3 Brandi @ Frugal Farmhouse July 22, 2011 at 12:13 pm

This sounds wonderful. Nice little egg. Thank you

4 Anna July 22, 2011 at 12:52 pm

You’re welcome! If you decide to try it, please let me know how it works out for you.

5 adil July 23, 2011 at 7:04 am

hi kindly help me in this matter tnx

6 Angie July 22, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I have seen these opps pop up from time to time in the forums. I’ve never seen one that is consistent, but it does sound interesting to me nonetheless.

7 Anna July 22, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Yep, definitely something I would be afraid to rely, but it would be nice to have available. Someone posted in Work Place Like Home that she got five testing invites in one day and made $50! I’m sure that’s not typical, but I would love that :)

8 Katie Jones July 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm

This sounds a lot like TrymyUi – same thing? lol
It really does seem like a good egg for those who explore the internet on a daily basic and encounter situations where they wish they could let the designers of the website know how confusing or how great their site is.

9 Anna July 22, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I think it is the same thing, Katie! I would love to do it but I can’t get my microphone issues straightened out. I might try it on my laptop though. Didn’t think of that.

10 Carla E. July 22, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I’ve wanted to check into User testing for a while. It’s very similar to another site I tried called Userlytics. I’m going to try it, I could use the extra $10 on occasions. :)

11 Stacey B July 22, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I am gonna check this out I think. It may be hard for me to do having a needy toddler though.

12 Gina August 24, 2011 at 2:32 am

I signed up with site about a week and a half ago. Since then, I’ve been getting email notifications about user testing jobs every day. So there seems to be consistent work lately. However, the jobs get taken up very quickly by other testers, so you have to be fast. I wouldn’t let that discourage you, but it is a little competitive. I was able to get one, and a week later I received $10 in my PayPal. So it does pay…when you can get a gig.

13 Anna August 24, 2011 at 6:42 am

Hmm, the consistent work sounds good, but I hate that it’s so hard to grab the jobs before others do. Have you signed up with any other sites? There are quite a few popping up that are just like User Testing. Being a member of more than one might help you maximize your earnings.

14 Patti November 8, 2011 at 12:49 am

I wanted to chime in as well. I’ve been with them for about a week, and I’ve done 3 tests. I’ve gotten multiple emails on most days, but I agree with Gina; it’s very competitive to get a gig. The 3 tests I’ve done, I happened to be sitting right in front of my computer with my account page open, so I could go right in and accept the tests. Other than that, I’ve literally run to the computer when I got an email on my phone, and by the time I get to the computer, the test has been taken. Just today, I tried to accept a test that needed 10 testers. Seven minutes after the email was sent out, the test spots were all taken. That said, it is good money for what really does amount to just 20 minutes of work. I just wish it wasn’t so hard to get a test.

15 Anna November 8, 2011 at 5:39 am

I’m sorry to hear it’s so difficult to get a test with these sites. What I am hoping is that there will be more and more of them pop out of the woodwork and then there will be more companies offering the same work. Perhaps this would make it slightly less competitive.

16 Satrap October 13, 2011 at 12:10 am

Hi Ana,

I heard about UserTesting.com and I really think its a fun way for people to make some extra cash.

On the hand, I think it also is a great tool for webmasters to use to find out about their own sites and how others see them.

17 Anna October 13, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I agree! It would be a useful tool for getting an outsider’s perspective on how easily your site is to navigate, how well it loads, etc.

18 Gidget October 27, 2011 at 12:14 am

Good luck in getting anything. I’ll get an email notification and it will be gone lickety split! Gotta be on your toes to get an event

19 Anna November 8, 2011 at 7:06 am

Someone else just posted the same thing! I wish it were easier to grab the jobs :(

20 Ashley November 20, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I’ve been working with UserTesting for over a year now and I love it!! They even have mobile tests now that can be completed using your smartphone! I worked with UserLytics before but they never really had much work. I actually get a lot of emails about tests with UserTesting…but I’m usually at work so I tend to miss out on the tests available during the day. Even still, I think this site is great for making a few extra buck in a short amount of time.

21 Anna November 21, 2011 at 7:01 am

Glad to hear they are working out well for you. I always recommend these user testing sites for people to do for side income.

22 Tina January 26, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I like Usertesting. My 1st week I made $40 and that was from a total of 4 tests in 2 days. I could have participated in more tests but I have other things to do, and other jobs. This type of income is more suitable for people who are at home on the computer a lot, and have a lot of patience. Also you can not expect to make this your part time job. At the very most I can use this to have extra money for my kids to do things on the weekend like the movies, skating, swimming etc. It works for me because I do work from home and leave the usertesting site open. So sometimes I am able to hurry and grab a test. Like most people my only complaints are the tests go to quick. You need to be very quick to grab those tests! I have always been paid. Nobody has ever asked for a refund YET. I did get a stupid review from some Doctor. He gave one of my tests 3 stars, and said “The tester said exactly what I expected her to say about the website” What the heck? I got a low rating because I said what they expected me to say? Then why on earth did this person even sign up to have his website tested on usertesting? Or perhaps he did not like my honesty. Lol his site was plain, boring, and a bit confusing. I gave my honest opinion as instructed. Other than that little incident, I love the website! :D

23 Anna January 26, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience, Tina!

24 Dan January 26, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I was just wondering how long does it typically take to be accepted as a tester? I just got done uploading the “test”.

25 Dan January 26, 2012 at 5:13 pm

actually, my first upload made it to 100% but then I got an email saying there was a technical error with my upload so I had to re-record my test and I’m trying to upload again. It’s at 71% right now. How long does it take to upload videos for most people? Mine takes a few hrs which seems really slow. I don’t know if it’s my laptop or network or just the site.

26 abi February 13, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I just spent ages doing a recording only to be told on completed upload that someone else had applied at the same time as me and had been given the test. What a waste of time!!

27 Anna February 13, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Ugh! So sorry Abi! That is a shame :(

28 Will Atkinson January 23, 2013 at 8:22 am

I signed up to do this on Monday and have already completed 3 tests. So $30 on its way to me. If I’d been quicker responding, I could have completed an extra two tests.
I work as a Freelance developer and web marketer so this is just an extra revenue stream. If I can make an extra $200 to $300 per month (which looks realistic) I’ll be very happy.
You mention that testing is not allowed using Google Chrome? Well I have been using Chrome without a problem – so don’t know where you got this information from.
There are issues with Firefox (due to vulnerabilities regarding the the Java browser plugin) and Opera was a little unreliable. However, Chrome works no problem. I’ve not used IE10 yet – so can’t comment on that.

29 Anna January 23, 2013 at 9:36 am

I wrote this a year and a half ago, so it’s likely that at that time they didn’t allow Chrome. I checked the website just now and Chrome is supported, so I’ll update my info. Thanks!

30 Rose July 17, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Yes you can make 200 to 300/month! But the problem is you have to respond to test quickly, its crazy how fax some test go, when I went to do a test I saw that there were more than one test available so I planned to quickly finish one test then do another and once I was done with one test the other one was gone! That was only like 15 min, well at least I make 200 that month.

31 Rose July 17, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I have mainly use usertesting.com and its not bad, I have made about $200 in about 2 weeks, but keep in mind that I made this much money because I was out of work. It is easy to miss test when you work all day. I was at my computer 24/7 hitting the refresh button when to get new test. I like them because you get feedback and paid in 7 days.

32 Shon March 14, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Usertesting is my number one supplemental income choice. I’ve been a website and mobile tester with this company for close to two years. I’ve recommended it to many of my friends and family, but it’s not for everyone. Tests can be hard to come by if you’re not glued to your computer often. But even if you only complete two tests a week it’s still well worth it. The work is easy and fast. If you like to talk and give your opinion of websites or app, this is for you. I probably average about $150 a month. The money you earn is transferred into your paypal about seven days after you finish a test. 10 bucks for a website, 15 bucks for a mobile test, and now they have a new test called “peek tests” that pay out 3 bucks.

33 Destiny June 22, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I Signed up did the intro video and Im really excited that I now have a dashboard. This is something I think Id shine at because of my web design history. I really think I could give some good feedback. But I am thankful to all of you who have posted before me giving tips I appreciate it

34 arif July 15, 2014 at 11:40 am

hey can you give a similar site that you can get an unlimited access to site and review? by that i meant for one day you can get unlimited site and review so you can get a lot of money