Update 4/7/13 – Key for Cash is now Virtual Bee.

What is Key for Cash?

Key for Cash offers one of the few legitimate data entry jobs out there. They hire people to type in data displayed in various images. Key for Cash has been around since 2001.

How much does Key for Cash pay?

Key for Cash pay varies depending on the project. So far I’ve seen projects offered from between .30 per 1000 keystrokes to .60 per 1000 keystrokes This is fairly low pay, but some people report being able to go fast enough to make between $5 and $8 per hour. I think it’s pretty clear you couldn’t make a living doing this, so I would look at this as just another small income stream — something to do for extra money here and there.

How does Key for Cash pay?

You get paid with a check that is mailed to you weekly from Key for Cash if you have earned at least $30.

What does the application process for Key for Cash involve?

You have to take an evaluation test when you apply. The test is for the purpose of determining your typing speed and accuracy. If you score well, you may or may not be offered a position. Because Key for Cash is one of the few legit data entry jobs out there, there are a lot of people who are interested in working for them, and you might be placed on a waiting list. However, they do not pay as well as they used to, so I would guess there are fewer people looking for work here than there were before. Your chances of getting in now might be a little better because of this. For what it’s worth, I took their test and got the invitation to start keying the next day.

Does Key for Cash hire outside the United States?

Yes. They have an international program for people who have lived outside the U.S. for three calendar years. However, there is little info available on how this international program works.

What do other people say about working for Key for Cash?

Most Key for Cash workers enjoy the job, although I have read some complaints about the rate of pay. I can’t find many complaints about the work whatsoever. Key for Cash does state on their website that their work load varies, and there may be times when there’s a lot to do and other times when there isn’t. If you want to read a little about what other people say about Key for Cash, you can read the comments here on IM Report Card and here at Reviewopedia.

Is Key for Cash worth your time?

That’s really up to you. I applied a long time ago when the pay rate was higher, but I was one of the ones who got placed on a waiting list. I never heard back from them. I applied again this year and heard back the very next day, so I think the hiring process is moving a little faster these days. The reason I have Key for Cash listed here is because in spite of the very low pay, they are a legit data entry company. Key for Cash is not a scam. Also, I know there are a lot of people who like to have little jobs like this to do here and there even if they don’t pay well. I think Key for Cash might be something good to do to break up the monotony of other work. When you’re sitting at the computer bored, why not do some keying to make a little extra while you’re sitting there? Cents do add up, and the work sounds pretty easy. However, it’s up to you. I wouldn’t blame a person either way for working or not working for Key for Cash. I agree that the pay is too low, but I also see the advantage of multiple small income streams.

I like the work Key for Cash offers! It’s actually fun. I get into a sort of trance-like state while I’m keying, and in spite of the fact that the money seems to build up very slowly, I find it hard to tear myself away from the computer to do something else because I don’t want to break my rhythm. I realize not everyone would find it enjoyable, but I really do.

Go here to apply at Key for Cash.

1 Anonymous April 6, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Don't do it!

2 Katie Jones April 7, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I had previously done the evaluations and received nothing back in return but last night I gave it another try and scored 99th percentile. I got an email inviting me to do work.

It is really for people who like to be repetitive, which I don't mind. I do it as a game and try to see how fast I can type. I know you mentioned that pay frequency is once a month but it is actually weekly if you meet the payout threshold, which is $30.

I have $10.31 already and that is probably an hour to two hours work. I don't see a problem in meeting the $30 marker – just as long as the work keeps coming!

Thanks for posting this by the way!
Katie

3 nidreb May 10, 2011 at 2:42 am

hey katie, haha, i do not know where i went wrong but i only have 79th percentile, -.- can you give me sample on how to do it? thanks

4 sether August 28, 2011 at 9:05 am

i only ranked 43rd :(

5 Anna August 28, 2011 at 10:01 am

You can try again tomorrow! That’s one great thing about Key for Cash — you get to test as many times as you need to.

6 Anna April 8, 2011 at 9:13 am

Thank you, Katie! I will update my post on the pay frequency. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the job. I also don't mind repetition. It's a nice break from writing sometimes.

If you haven't already, you might want to apply for a titling position at Demand Studios. They've been hiring a lot of people recently for duplicate checking. It's repetitive – all you do is check whether one title is a duplicate of another. Each title you check pays two cents, and it adds up really well. Some people can make as much as $15 per hour doing that. If you look under "uncategorized" on the left sidebar, my review of the job and how to apply is there.

7 Anonymous April 8, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I started working for Keys For Cash in mid March 2011 typing 6 to 8 hours a day. Keys For Cash owes me a check from 3/21 for $82.02, 3/28 for 79.08 and 4/4 for 71.85. I use to work for Keys For Cash back in 2006 and 2008. I never had a problem with receiving a check from them once a week. At the beginning of this week, I contacted Keys For Cash and told them that I will report them to the BBB if they can't pay me on time. Keys For Cash said that they would issue me a check this week. As of today I have not received a check yet.

8 Tricia June 12, 2011 at 10:38 am

I work for Key for Cash. Their paychecks are sent out after 30 days of employment with them. You will receive your first check within 30 days of the date the check was cut. You will then receive all other checks on weekly basis.

9 GinnyV May 29, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Anonymous, I know I’m a little late to post this, but if you look at the Payment section on Key for Cash’s website, it says that they have net 30 terms, so they can take as long as 30 days to pay. I have been with Key For Cash for about a year, working on and off, and have always been paid within about 20-25 days. In fact, my payment dated for May 2, 2011 was printed and mailed on May 20, so about 18 days. That is standard business practice. I get checks most weeks, but they are from 3-4 weeks ago. Good luck and you are doing really well by making so much. I usually just try for the minimum of $30/week.

10 Anna May 29, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Thanks for your comment, Ginny. I admit I was a little concerned after Anonymous’ post as I have started doing a little keying for Key for Cash on the side, but it seemed that pretty much all the reviews I’ve read in the past indicate that they pay. It’s good to know that they in fact do! Hopefully Anonymous has been paid for her work since she made her post.

11 Jaqui June 22, 2011 at 1:11 pm

GinnyV,

I have a different experience with Key for Cash. They claimed a check was mailed to me in mid-May and I have yet to receive it. I sent Key for Cash an email letting them know I did not receive the check after 30 days passed and they have not responded.

For anyone attempting to work for Key for Cash, I say do so at the risk of working for free.

12 Anna June 22, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Jaqui, if you have yet to be paid, I would continue to pester them with emails until they acknowledge you. If it takes threatening to report them to the BBB to get paid, then you may need to do that as well.

I don’t have enough in my account yet to get paid, but I think I need to build up the balance some so I can at least see if I get a check. I do believe that most people are paid, but these few comments coming from some of you who have had difficulty getting your checks is worrisome.

13 Jaqui June 22, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Thanks Anna.

I sent an email on Monday. I plan to send a followup email tomorrow because it will be 72 hour since my last email. At this point, I do not plan on wasting my time doing more work for free.

14 Jaqui June 27, 2011 at 11:17 pm

I sent a followup email to Key for Cash for the May 2011 check and I still have not received a response. I will not do data entry work for this company again. I really advise anyone interested in doing data entry work for this company to take their time and services elsewhere.

15 Anna June 27, 2011 at 11:54 pm

I’m sorry, Jaqui. Did you threaten them with a negative report to the Better Business Bureau? I am going to update my post with some info on this lack of pay that you and apparently many others I have learned are experiencing … don’t want anyone doing any work without knowing what’s going on.

Thank you so much for coming back and updating!

16 Jaqui July 7, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Anna,

I just want to post an update about my check. I just received it today. Part of the reason I received it so late is I just moved out of state and my mail had to be forwarded to my new address. The other reason is Key For Cash lied about the mail date in their emails to me. According to their email responses, the check was mailed from their location on 5/23/11 and the USPS was responsible for the delay. However, the check I received is dated 6/9/11 and with a forwarding date of 6/11/11.

17 Anna July 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Thanks for the update, Jaqui! Glad you finally got your payment :)

18 Lorenna September 17, 2011 at 1:09 pm

So by the comments that have been sent. Are y’all telling me that on a weekly basis the average amount made is $30??? How does the pay scale work and what is the highest amount made for working from home on Keys for Cash? Im trying to find an at home job to balance 3 kids with extra curricular activities 2 being active in sports. So I dont have time to get a full time job as I would like. So Im looking into making an income by working at home. Any suggestions on to whereas I must look and if this is the right website for me??

19 Anna September 17, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Lorenna, Key for Cash is basically just extra money and the work is not consistent. Sometimes they run out. I would recommend looking at titling for Demand (info on that here: http://realwaystoearnmoneyonline.com/category/titling), search engine evaluation (http://realwaystoearnmoneyonline.com/category/search-engine-evaluation), freelance writing (http://realwaystoearnmoneyonline.com/category/writing/upfront-pay-writing), and if your kids are in school during the day, you can earn anywhere from $8 to $15 an hour doing customer service for lots of well-known companies over the phone. Working Solutions (http://realwaystoearnmoneyonline.com/2011/05/working-sol-offering-both-phone-and-non-phone-at-home-jobs.html) is one that occasionally hires for phone work as well as data entry.

Feel free to message me through my contact form if you want additional info or have more questions you need answered.

20 anon-e-mussss October 8, 2011 at 6:50 am

i just took the test on keyforcash and i got in the 100th percentile… is this good? i am a pretty fast typer… i was the fastest in my class during high schoool

21 Heather October 10, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I also recieved a score of 100th percentile on Oct 8th but have yet to recieve a follow up email inviting me to start keying! :-(

22 Anna October 10, 2011 at 8:54 pm

It can sometimes take them a while. I heard back pretty quick, but there some people that don’t hear anything for several months.

I’m not sure but I think right now is their slow time, meaning that they don’t have much work available. Every time I have logged in over the past few months there hasn’t been anything to do. So that could be why you haven’t heard anything. They might not be actively hiring right now since they don’t appear to have much work up. You may hear from them once they get more work in.

23 Betsy October 12, 2011 at 10:17 am

I just got invited to the paid portion last week. I was also in the 100th percentile, but didn’t hear anything for about a week. I sent them a quick email to ask if they were still inviting, and received a follow-up email as well as invite the next day.

24 Anna October 13, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Good to know! Thank you Betsy. Maybe some of the others who have not heard back can take your advice and contact them about getting hired to possibly hear back faster.

25 Victoria - Ozarks Crescent Mural November 2, 2011 at 3:02 am

I just scored in the 99th percentile. I’ll see if I hear from them. A little extra cash never hurts, plus I love typing. I used to do word processing in the 80s and 90s when wp jobs were plentiful. As a matter of fact, if anyone hears about any word processing jobs, please let me know.

26 Jean December 27, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I just took the test and got 74th percentile..lol has anyone gotten in with that percentage? I would do it again tomorrow but afraid I will do worse..lol

27 KIM January 20, 2012 at 2:31 am

Do you know of anyone getting on with keys for cash recently. I took the test back in august 2011 and scored a 97 but never heard anything. I was nervous to retake it but I did and scored 99, but still no word from them. Just wondering?

28 Anna January 20, 2012 at 5:24 am

I have not heard of anyone getting hired, but I think I did see a few posts on the forums about them not having any work lately, so that may be something to do with it. If you scored 99, I bet they will contact you as soon as they get busy again.

29 KIM January 21, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Thanks!

30 fauzi February 7, 2012 at 9:05 pm

does it need much time in front of my computer. I am not a full time net marketer .
Make Money Free From Internet.

31 Monica April 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I just took the test got a 94 percent hope they hire for that score!!!

32 Christine April 22, 2012 at 10:21 am

Hello All! I took the Keys for Cash test about a year ago and scored in the 98th percentile. Just the other day I received an email that I had been hired. I went ahead and finished registering and immediately started to work. So far I have put about 6 hours into it and have made over $15. It doesn’t seem like a lot but every little bit helps. Yes, it is repetitive but I enjoy it. For whatever odd reason, it puts me in a state of relaxation. So far, so good. Good Luck to all that applied!

33 Anna April 22, 2012 at 11:49 am

That’s good to know Christine! A lot of people who applied that long ago probably gave up hope of ever hearing back. I’m glad they keep info on file for that long.

34 Mindy July 26, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I just applied and got a score of 94 but will be retaking the test tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone who is currently working for them knows if they are busy this time of year or if it may be awhile before I hear from them

35 Syed Yawar Abbas August 10, 2013 at 1:35 pm

hii anna..i am yawar hw ar u?and plz tell me how i apply data entry operator job online.plz tell me..thanks..

36 Anna T August 11, 2013 at 9:11 am

Hi Syed,

For the Key for Cash data entry position, just use the apply link about and fill out your details. Good luck!

37 T.Joseph September 1, 2013 at 11:24 am

Key for Cash is a reliable site. They are in the business from 2001. Getting entry into their work force is a little difficult and their payment is very low. But they are very prompt in giving payments.

38 marlin jackson November 26, 2013 at 3:36 pm

key for cash will not let me sign up it switches to another site can you email so i can sign up.

39 Anna T November 26, 2013 at 4:00 pm

It probably switches because it’s known as Virtual Bee now. They changed it. You can sign up here – https://www.virtualbee.com/home/signup